Opeth - Sorceress CD (album) cover

SORCERESS

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

javajeff
4 stars I would call Sorceress an instant classic album with amazing musicianship. Previous albums featured the magical and powerful contrast between extreme metal and softer moments, but Sorceress goes retro-prog with a 70s feel that will make many people feel at home. Sorceress sounds more like an extension of Pale Communion, Damnation, and Heritage where the progressive roots started to plant a foundation for the second generation of Opeth. With a highly saturated metal market and a preference for 70 era of rock, Opeth have transformed into a heavy Progressive Rock group leaving their extreme metal tendencies and growls in the dust. I have grown to love Sorceress and this new era after repeat listens, but it required me to leave my expectations behind. If you approach Sorceress as a Progressive Rock album, it is loaded with vocal harmonies, subtle music variations, and the complex compositions that only Opeth can create. Sorceress is an album I expect to hear often, and that is a great measure of success.
javajeff | 4/5 |