Queensr˙che - Queensr˙che CD (album) cover

QUEENSRYCHE

Queensr˙che

siLLy puPPy
4 stars Originally starting out covering Priest and Maiden songs under the name THE MOB, it's no wonder they sound like a NWOBHM band, but even at this stage I can hear a scant few progressive leanings such as the atmospheric sound effects and the outro of 'Blinded.'

'Queen Of The Reich' was a minor MTV hit and immediately put the band and their newly adopted name QUEENSRYCHE on the metal radar, allowing this energetic band to snag spots opening up for bands like Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister and Dio. And in 1983 that meant huuuuuge exposure.

I have always loved this debut EP and listening to it now, I still do very much. Although it does sound somewhat dated, it was an important release in the evolution of metal. Although hardly considered progressive at this point the seeds were planted to sprout a few years later.

The original album only had 4 songs, but later releases included a 5th track 'Prophecy,' which was recorded during the RAGE FOR ORDER time period but left out for whatever reason. This track actually plays quite nicely with the other ones and i'm happy I have a copy which includes it.

siLLy puPPy | 4/5 |