QUEENSRYCHE

Queensr˙che Queensr˙che album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy QUEENSRYCHE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1983

1. Queen Of The Reich (4:21)
2. Nightrider (3:46)
3. Blinded (3:06)
4. The Lady Wore Black (6:15)

Search QUEENSRYCHE Queensr˙che lyrics

Search QUEENSRYCHE Queensr˙che tabs

- Chris DeGarmo / guitars
- Eddie Jackson / bass
- Scott Rockenfield / drums
- Geoff Tate / voices
- Michael Wilton / guitars

Ep. EMI 1A Ko62-7190066 / Cdep. EMI CDP 7-90615 (????)

and to m@x for the last updates

QUEENSRYCHE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEENSRYCHE Queensr˙che Music

More places to buy QUEENSRYCHE music online Buy QUEENSRYCHE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEENSRYCHE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEENSRYCHE Queensr˙che ratings distribution

QUEENSRYCHE Queensr˙che reviews

Review by Marc Baum
4 stars When most people think of Queensryche, they think of their famous concept album Operation: Mindcrime, and they think of progressive metal. What most don't know is before Queensryche turned "artsy" they were helping pioneer a more traditional/power metal style of music. They were probably one of the first popular American bands to draw inspiration from the NWOBHM, and Iron Maiden in particular. I've always heard the production on the original is pretty bad, but I can assure you that the production on the remastered version sounds just fine, it actually sounds quite good to tell you the truth.

The mini album kicks off with "Queen of the Reich" and this easily one of the best heavy metal songs ever. A fast and energetic rocker, with an almost thrashy, speed metal riff. Aggressive drumming, and absolutely stellar vocals. Geoff Tate has such a high vocal range, he never has to really do an all out falsetto, but it's still very high. The lyrics are awesome, the solo's are kick ass. This song is 4 minutes of heavy metal perfection. "Your soul slipped away....It belongs...Queen of the REEEEEEEIIIIIIIICH!!"

Next up is "Nightrider" and this is total Iron Maiden worship, when the song kicks in at about 1 minute it reminds me of a slightly slower version of "Murders in the Rue Morgue". This isn't a bad thing, this is a killer song. Pretty fast and aggressive for 1983. The solo is pretty impressive too, and I love that ending, "Beware of the NIGHT!"

"Blinded" follows, it starts out with some nice shredding, and kicks in at probably an even faster tempo than the first two songs. Short and to the point, the only thing I really don't like is the chanting at the end of the song. A pretty long solo with some nice melodies here and there.

"The Lady Wore Black" is the other well known song off the mini album, and for good reason. This is probably one of the best heavy metal "ballads" ever penned. A real atmospheric song, Tate's vocals sound creepy and dark. And the shrieking he does before the chorus is classic, I have no clue what he says but it sounds really awesome. The chorus is simple, but heavy and effective. The solo is emotional and to the point, they knew not to over-do it. Awesome song.

"Prophecy" is only found on the re-issued version, which is what I'm sure most people have anyways. Really catchy, you can tell this was recorded during the Rage For Order sessions, it obviously has that sound. I think if this had been releasd on RFO it would have been the best song on there. Sometimes you wonder why bands choose to ditch such awesome songs. This one is a catchy head banger, with some of the best lead work on the album.

Queensryche started with their progressive metal direction with the next album after this one, their full-length debut, "The Warning", but still keeping enough of their power metal elements. Of course Queensryche eventually became full on progressive rock and became the butt of many a metalhead's harsh criticism, and yes, i'm still a fan (except for Q2K, man did that ever suck, but that's a different review...), but for those wishing for Queensryche to get back to the heavy stuff, or for those who are looking for a quick fix of brilliant power metal, look no further.

rating: 8.5/10 points = 85 % on MPV scale = 4/5 stars

point-system: 0 - 3 points = 1 star / 3.5 - 5.5 points = 2 stars / 6 - 7 points = 3 stars / 7.5 - 8.5 points = 4 stars / 9 - 10 points = 5 stars

Send comments to Marc Baum (BETA) | Report this review (#23504) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Review by Modrigue
4 stars NOT MUCH PROGRESSIVE, BUT IT REALLY ROCKS !

Before offering progressive albums like Operation Mindcrime and Promised Land, Queensr˙che started as a straight heavy metal worthy of all classic bands of its time. But instead of copying their neighbours who were writing the evolution of the genre, gathered between Iron maiden and Judas Priest, they manage to bring something new to the heavy metal of the 80s', with a theatrical feel. This EP features their first efforts.

The main element which brings novelty here is undoubtly the high-pitched screaming voice of Geoff Tate, clear and sticking perfectly to the music. The other elements are inclusion of many changes of musical directions inside relatively short tracks. The record starts with the hardly-title song Queen of the Reich, which can be considered as the debut spearhead song from the band. Agressive powerful heavy guitars riffs fighting the frightening vocals of Geoff... Apocalytpic ! Night Rider could have well escaped from Iron Maiden's debut album. Energic angry guitars with epic melody... While listening you can really imagine yourself as a knight riding his horse in a heroic-fantasy tale ! The next song, Blinded, is a little bit less epic, but quite dark, catchy and doomy. The EP ends with the track containing the seeds of Queensr˙che later progressive acts, The Lady Wore Black. This tune has some echoes with Dream Theater's Killing Hands and alternates melancholic and heavy epic passages. We want more...

The band really impress on this EP, shows their differences and announces future great albums. Highly recommended for 80s' heavy metal fans ! Geoff's voice is unbeatable !

Send comments to Modrigue (BETA) | Report this review (#110563) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 03, 2007

Review by progrules
3 stars In fact I can subscribe the first sentence by the previous prog reviewer completely. Only difference is the enthusiasm he shows in his review is lacking with me. Indeed this rocks and it's also a good album but I don't think it's something special. We are talking about 5 good hardrock/metal songs here but that's all really. The thing I do agree with absolutely is that this is not progressive. It's obvious that at this stage Queensryche was not yet a progressive metalband. Later on in their career this grew more and more but apparantly this was an evolutionary process.

I'm afraid there's not much more to say for me here. So 5 good songs with The lady wore black as best known and most striking of the 5 results for me in a 3 star verdict. Looking at the facts of the album it appears that on this edition there were 4 songs. Well, so there is more to say because I'm absolutely sure mine has 5 ! Are there 2 versions (one with a bonus track) ? That would be strange because this is an EP. I wouldn't be dealing with an illegal copy or something ?

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#158792) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 17, 2008

Review by UMUR
2 stars The debut EP from Queensryche was a sign of the high quality metal band they would become. Personally I like this better than their debut album The Warning, but the music on this EP is much in the same vein as on the album so I´m not exactly sure why.

The music is early eighties melodic metal heavily influenced by Iron Maiden. I also think I hear influences from Mercyful Fate some times in the guitar riffs, but that´s just my opinion. The EP starts with the brilliant song Queen of The Reich which might be the best song from Queensryche in their early years. It´s melodic and quite powerful. Nightrider and Blinded are ok but nothing memorable really. The Lady Wore Black is a power ballad type metal song and it´s really enjoyable from my point of view.

Even on this first release Queensryche show how outstanding they are as musicians and especially Geoff Tate is a real treat to listen to. That man has a voice to make the angels sing. It´s really powerful and he can do all the tricks in the book and a few more. Just listen to the classic intro high pitched scream in Queen of the Reich. It´s so cliché but hell I love it.

The production is pretty good for the time, but not very good when you listen today. To some it´s probably unbearable.

This is a good start to a big career for Queensryche and I can imagine people loving this back in 1983. It´s not very progressive though and honestly even though I enjoy this sometimes it´s not worth more than 2 stars for being a below average release.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165537) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Review by Negoba
4 stars Essential metal, Good Prog

I put Queensryche's debut EP back on for this review, fully expecting to give it 3 stars as I had Metallica's Garage Days, another essential metal EP. But I had forgotten how good this disc is. Queen of the Reich has to be one of the best metal songs of all time. The intensity, the dual guitar interplay (including perhaps the best early 80's guitar solo), and Geoff Tate's otherworldly vocals are what metal is all about. And while all the classic metal elements are here, there are also some nice little nuances that foreshadow that Queensryche is going to be a band that will push the envelope of the genre.

All five songs are quite good. The third song, Blinded, with its circular lyric falling and falling and falling and.. is perhaps the most progressive on the album though it's usually forgotten behind Lady Wore Black (a fairly straightforward rainy night slow metal that will become a Queensryche staple) and Nightrider as the "other songs" on the disc. The closer, Prophecy, is a good metal song added from the Rage for Order sessions for the CD, and is typical of that album.

There is a heapin' helpin' of cheese in these lyrics and the presentation is over the top in grand metal tradition. Watch the video for QOTR which is one of the worst, cheapest jokes of all time. Then find the video of the band playing the song live, and you realize just how powerful they were, pulling off the acrobatics seamlessly and if anything ratcheting the energy even higher.

As metal albums go, this is the second album of Queensryche to obtain, and I would give it 5/5 if this were a metal-only site. If you're looking for prog, Promised Land is probably a better choice for QR #2. This one showcases a talented band exploding with youthful energy, playing their metal anthem at full tilt. 3.5 stars rounded up.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#209315) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 30, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars New Wave Of British Heavy Metal emigrates to the States

This very first release by Queenryche is heavily inspired by mid 70's Judas Priest, particularly albums like Sad Wings Of Destiny and Sin After Sin. Geoff Tate often mimics Rob Halford's vocal style here with the trademark high pitched screams. Tate would later develop his own distinctive style, but here he sounds rather derivative as does the music overall. It does not push the boundaries any further than the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal with bands like Judas Priest, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden and in this case I much prefer these bands over Queensryche.

The sound is rather rough and so are the songs. Of special interest is the opening track of this EP, Queen Of The Reich, that gave Queenryche its name (or was it the other way around?). Also, The Lady Wore Black has a memorable chorus but these songs are not particularly exciting musically. Queenryche would go on and make better music later on.

Only for fans of the band.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#250583) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars The raw talented new band that would make a huge impact in metaldom begins here. The tracks became legendary and I heard these on metal radio shows during the 80s. 'Queen of the Reich' is a bonafide classic with incredible high pitched vocals full of conviction and power. The riffs are brilliant on this and great lead solo work to savour. DeGarmo was a master and he shines here.

'Nightrider' is a short blast of energy that delivers and gets out to make way for another 3 minute metal dynamo, 'Blinded'.

'The Lady Wore Black' is a slower track and extremely popular in concerts to come, a very good melodic chorus and wonderful vocal work from Tate help this to be ingrained in the memory.

'Prophecy' closes the EP and is another great track so overall this is a stunning debut and the band would go on to greatness from here.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#285315) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 06, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars The brief but energetic deput EP from Queensryche shows little of the prog metal leanings of future releases, instead finding the band playing in a tight NWOBHM-influenced style, with the influence of Iron Maiden (and, to a lesser extent, Judas Priest) very much in evidence - particularly in the vocal delivery by Geoff Tate. It's far from being a top-notch EP but it's not one I'm sorry to own either, being competently composed and performed but lacking any blow-you- away standout moments which keep the songs fresh in your mind after you've given them a listen. Three and a half stars seems fair.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#576170) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 27, 2011

4 stars Originally starting out covering Priest and Maiden songs under the name THE MOB, it's no wonder they sound like a NWOBHM band, but even at this stage I can hear a scant few progressive leanings such as the atmospheric sound effects and the outro of 'Blinded.' 'Queen Of The Reich' was a minor MT ... (read more)

Report this review (#1075928) | Posted by siLLy puPPy | Tuesday, November 12, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Every now and then there comes a time when you listen to an album with a gut-feeling telling you that you won't like it, only to be pleasantly surprised that in fact, your gut-feeling is not always right. This is one of those times. Granted, Queensryche's debut EP is nowhere near a masterpiece, ... (read more)

Report this review (#228526) | Posted by Valarius | Sunday, July 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The E.P. tradition and Queensryche in form. But not fashion. This is a high quality EP release from progressive metal progenitors, Queensryche. Here they offer a few very enjoyable songs, with the title track being a band staple, and an overall enjoyable affair. The opening song rips furious ... (read more)

Report this review (#220977) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, June 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars QUEEN OF THE REICH... THE LADY WHORE BLACK Great debut. Not Prog but sure a great example of early Power Metal for Queensryche (Queen Of The Reich or Reich's Queen for correctly grammatical sense). The story of this debut is a great R'n'R story. Originally was a demo tape produced for Early Str ... (read more)

Report this review (#142323) | Posted by Lady In Black | Friday, October 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Spring, 1984. I'm an 18-year old rivethead scanning the LPs at the local Sound Warehouse, trolling for new talent. My eyes fall upon a mostly black album cover with the band's name written in Old-English script. "Hmmph, pretty cool" I thought, so I checked it out. A 4-song EP..interesting song na ... (read more)

Report this review (#85147) | Posted by MrMan2000 | Sunday, July 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The beginning of an era. The metal band "The Mob" persuaded locally renowned Prog-rock loving vocalist Geoff Tate to join the band. After a name change Queensryche were ready to release their first 4-track E.P. This record shows more the Metallic sound of the Ryche rather than their Progres ... (read more)

Report this review (#82781) | Posted by Jon_Mc | Wednesday, July 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A solid debut ep for Queensryche. It definatly has a Iron Maiden or Judas Priest feel as others have said, and only has a little of the progressiveness that would come on Queensrych`s later recordings. The album opens with Queen of the Reich (one of my favorite songs by Queensryche) which has ... (read more)

Report this review (#74978) | Posted by walrus333 | Friday, April 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Not a bad EP considering that's it's the first from the band. The sound quality is poor though. "Queen Of The Reich" has become a classic (heh De Garmo wrote it). "The Lady Wore Black" is one of those whistling power ballads. Another trademark of early Queensr˙che. "Prophecy" is another stron ... (read more)

Report this review (#66262) | Posted by zaxx | Monday, January 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In 1983...the world experienced the birth of another metal genre...the us power Metal. The debut of ryche (ep not a full length album) is just great!! Great Melodies, great 'metal' lyrics and tate's performance makes even rob halford to sound Too 'poor'. The group takes its influences from iron m ... (read more)

Report this review (#39694) | Posted by | Monday, July 18, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars There is always a beginning, and this EP was the beginning of one of the most powerful progressive rock act in the world during the 80s and early 90s. This band was actually a no band when they recorded this EP. Meaning that they were a four-piece where singer Geoff Tate had not yet decided to ... (read more)

Report this review (#23509) | Posted by | Wednesday, November 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEENSRYCHE "Queensr˙che"