Queensr˙che - Queensr˙che CD (album) cover

QUEENSRYCHE

Queensr˙che

UMUR
2 stars The debut EP from Queensryche was a sign of the high quality metal band they would become. Personally I like this better than their debut album The Warning, but the music on this EP is much in the same vein as on the album so I´m not exactly sure why.

The music is early eighties melodic metal heavily influenced by Iron Maiden. I also think I hear influences from Mercyful Fate some times in the guitar riffs, but that´s just my opinion. The EP starts with the brilliant song Queen of The Reich which might be the best song from Queensryche in their early years. It´s melodic and quite powerful. Nightrider and Blinded are ok but nothing memorable really. The Lady Wore Black is a power ballad type metal song and it´s really enjoyable from my point of view.

Even on this first release Queensryche show how outstanding they are as musicians and especially Geoff Tate is a real treat to listen to. That man has a voice to make the angels sing. It´s really powerful and he can do all the tricks in the book and a few more. Just listen to the classic intro high pitched scream in Queen of the Reich. It´s so cliché but hell I love it.

The production is pretty good for the time, but not very good when you listen today. To some it´s probably unbearable.

This is a good start to a big career for Queensryche and I can imagine people loving this back in 1983. It´s not very progressive though and honestly even though I enjoy this sometimes it´s not worth more than 2 stars for being a below average release.

UMUR | 2/5 |