Camel - The Snow Goose (Re-recording) CD (album) cover

THE SNOW GOOSE (RE-RECORDING)

Camel

admireArt
5 stars If it makes me an "expert", the fact that I heard the original CAMEL's (1975) "The Snow Goose" like 100s of times. Not because I like the band, but my sister played that record, constantly and daily in those prog years. Well, here is my point of view...

I always kind of never fell for this band, and similar ones (by the way), due to their "tendency" to find over the top, sweet overcoats, to solve their compositions "highlights" and "ballads". That has never tickled my bone, in fact for me that is reason enough to ignore a band, I don't care if it is Supertramp, Gentle Giant or Genesis, I am just repelled by those "aesthetics", like water and oil, can't help it.

The good news, is that this "re-modeled" 2013 version, comes as close, at last, to any of the "top-ten" PA's, symphonic category albums. I can say whatever of Camel, but I will never dare to say that Camel has no "self-aquired" and "personal" musical language. For starters.

The "sweet-sickening" magnetism that the "original" Goose, suffered from (IMO), has been polished away with very creative arrangements, that although they never modify the original score, have been "re-shaped" with "symphonic" musical lines and instruments, that by nature are better suited, for this kind of "high pitched", sweet passages, that like this, aside of sounding better, enhance the structure of the song writing and its scope.

So,.... A masterful, re-arrangement, that balances electric and acoustic instruments with an uncommon good taste, of a "classic" of Prog, that actually turns for the better, which as such, is quiet miracolous. A flawless, masterwork, beyond the band's own discography and "original" Goose, that by sheer genius, can stand alongside any other *****5 PA star work,..surely deserves that!

Camel followers, this is a "must"!, that any Prog audiophile will enjoy.

admireArt | 5/5 |