THE SNOW GOOSE (RE-RECORDING)

Camel

Camel The Snow Goose (Re-recording) album cover

Essential: a masterpiece of
progressive rock music

Buy CAMEL Music
Studio Album, released in 2013

1. The Great Marsh (2:09)
2. Rhayader (3:06)
3. Rhayader Goes To Town (5:28)
4. Sanctuary (Revised edition) (2:57)
5. Fritha (1:27)
6. The Snow Goose (3:02)
7. Friendship (1:50)
8. Migration (Revised edition) (4:29)
9. Rhayader Alone (Revised edition) (3:24)
10. Flight Of The Snow Goose (2:27)
11. Preparation (3:54)
12. Dunkirk (5:39)
13. Epitaph (Revised edition) (1:32)
14. Fritha Alone (1:47)
15. La Princesse Perdue (5:18)
16. The Great Marsh (1:35)

Search CAMEL The Snow Goose (Re-recording) lyrics

- Denis Clement / drums, percussion, keyboards, cannon

Produced, arranged and mixed by Denis Clement and Andrew Latimer
Mastered by Tony Cousins
Design & Illustrations by Michael Munday

CD Camel Productions CP0014CD (2013)

Thanks to BrunoSamppa for the addition
and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

CAMEL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CAMEL The Snow Goose (Re-recording) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Camel- MirageCamel- Mirage
Universal I.S. 2002
The Snow GooseThe Snow Goose
Polygram UK 2002
MoonmadnessMoonmadness
Polygram UK 2002
The Snow GooseThe Snow Goose
Camel Productions 2013
Rainbows End: A Camel Anthology 1973-1985Rainbows End: A Camel Anthology 1973-1985
Box set · Import · Remastered
Dust & DreamsDust & Dreams
Camel Productions 1992
Rain DancesRain Dances
101 Distribution 2009

More places to buy CAMEL music online Buy CAMEL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for CAMEL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

CAMEL The Snow Goose (Re-recording) ratings distribution

CAMEL The Snow Goose (Re-recording) reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Better than the original!

I am usually somewhat sceptical when a band decides to re-record one of their classic albums. But when I heard that Camel had re-recorded The Snow Goose, I was intrigued as I have always thought that this particular album deserved to be re-recorded. I have always found the original Snow Goose a bit timid and lacking in edge (and just generally not up to the high standard of the superb albums that surrounded it: Mirage and Moonmadness). Whenever bits and pieces of The Snow Goose has been performed live and included on various recent live releases (like the excellent Coming Of Age and Never Let Go sets), the material has been given extra energy and added "punch" that was missing on the original recording. I am happy to say that the band has gone to some lengths to remedy some of the insufficiencies of the 1975 classic with this 2013 re-recording.

The differences between the old and the new versions are rather subtle however, and you should not expect any radical departures from the original album. This is a somewhat revised and enhanced re-recording of a familiar work, not a novel reinterpretation of it. The context matters here since the band was preparing and rehearsing for a tour in which they were planning to perform The Snow Goose album in its entirety when the idea to re-record it in the studio arose. Also, Andy Latimer had just recovered from a very serious illness that he thankfully managed to survive and the band had no new material. In these circumstances it made sense for them to revive and revise an older classic and record the new arrangement of it to promote the tour. The band here consists of Latimer on guitars, keyboards, and flute, Colin Bass on bass guitar, Guy LeBlanc on keyboards, and Denis Clement on drums (with the four of them occasionally borrowing each others' instruments as can be seen by studying the individual credits for each track).

The new arrangement stays rather faithful to the original though one notices right away that this new version is about six and a half minutes longer in total. Four tracks that have been subtitled 'revised edition'. These are Sanctuary, Migration, Rhayader Alone, and Epitaph. Sanctuary, Migration, Rhayader Alone, and La Princesse Perdue have been noticibly elongated. On Migration the wordless vocalisations of the original have been replaced by electric guitar to great effect. What I still tend not to like though are the orchestral overtones on a few passages that have been recreated here, like that horrible crumhorn sound on Friendship. I would have preferred them to replace that with 'normal' keyboard sounds. But overall I think that this new version is both worthwhile and in several ways an improvement over the original.

The disc comes in a simple but very nice digi-pack with also the cover art having been improved. The new recording is dedicated to Peter Bardens who passed away in 2002, and Doug Ferguson and Andy Ward are also acknowledged for "their valued contributions to the original concept, development and recording of The Snow Goose, which have endured to this day".

The original Snow Goose is actually my least favourite of Camel's four first albums and this re-make does not change that, but it has made me award an extra star compared to the original. Having at least one version of this classic of Symphonic Prog in your collection is essential. (Though, probably only fans like me will feel the need to have both versions.)

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#1121870) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 27, 2014

4 stars I love Camel - I've seen them live sooo many times and have always come away from gigs with a huge grin on my face, loving the fact that they still exist. Of course over the last couple of years gigs have been a bit sparse due to Andy Latimer's illness, so the rerecording and subsequent tour to ... (read more)

Report this review (#1245000) | Posted by ProggyDon | Tuesday, August 12, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's hard to fathom as why Latimer has decided to do this, which is practically Camel doing a Camel cover. Furthermore, is it possible to improve upon one of the greatest prog classics of many decades? Many of us regard the original line-up as superior to later incarnations of Camel, that is ... (read more)

Report this review (#1121507) | Posted by Anon-E-Mouse | Sunday, January 26, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit I am not terribly fond of Camel as a band. I find most of their music pleasant and orderly, but maybe a tad too orderly .. too docile to be hanging out at the wild prog party. I have all of their early albums on LP's, but I haven't listened to the Moonmadness and Mirage for years ... (read more)

Report this review (#1112432) | Posted by Argonaught | Saturday, January 11, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This could have gone wrong in countless ways, but it didn't. With some changes in recording and mixing really make the old masterpiece become sound fresh and interesting. It's generally slower and mellower than the original. They have extended some of the short songs ("Sanctuary", "Migration", and " ... (read more)

Report this review (#1108734) | Posted by Imperial Zeppelin | Monday, January 06, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If it makes me an "expert", the fact that I heard the original CAMEL's (1975) "The Snow Goose" like 100s of times. Not because I like the band, but my sister played that record, constantly and daily in those prog years. Well, here is my point of view... I always kind of never fell for this band, ... (read more)

Report this review (#1087653) | Posted by admireArt | Sunday, December 08, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CAMEL "The Snow Goose (Re-recording)"