Royal Hunt - Paper Blood CD (album) cover

PAPER BLOOD

Royal Hunt

Windhawk
4 stars Royal Hunt has been around for some time, but personally I hadn't come across these guys before this album landed in my hands.

And this release contains fast-paced prog metal, with a sound somewhat similar to Symphony X and the earliest Yngwie Malmsteen releases.

Characterstic of the sound of this album is good all around instrumental and vocal work, catchy choruses and good vocal harmonies in the non-instrumental songs.

Oh, and the synth work here is everpresent and very dominant, where extreme flamboyance and self indulgence are key words in describing just how much the synth work dominates here. But the album does sound good, despite of that.

Personally I found the bonus tracks on my version of the CD to be the best tracks on this album, as the synthwork is toned down on those songs; and it would be very interesting if Royal Hunt made more songs like that in the future.

Windhawk | 4/5 |