Peter Hammill - Over CD (album) cover

OVER

Peter Hammill

Matti
3 stars I had read in advance that this is the most openly self-reflective (ie. dealing with an ended relationship) album in Hammill's catalogue. I took that information as an encouraging rather than discouraging thing, having always respected his music's emotional depth. ((By the way, Marillion's Fugazi album's cover art includes the sleeves of this one and Fools Mate!))

But this album left me quite cold right from the start, and none of the tracks have become my favourites later either. It's not the question of lyrics but the music. Apart from bass and drums - and violin on a couple of tracks - all instruments are played by Pete. The sound is often quite stripped down, low-toned and melancholic. Some tracks, 'Crying Wolf' and 'Betrayed', are really too full of angst to my taste and many of those that are good are a bit unmemorable as compositions. Maybe 'Time Heals' and 'Yoga' are my favourite tracks. I don't like 'The Looking Glass' with the syrupy orchestration and high-pitched tender vocals. 'Autumn' is a little out of place with the lyrics about offspring leaving their parents - or perhaps it is deliberately just a parallel to the leaving of a lover? Anyway, Over is not among my favourite Hammill albums but of course it might be that to you. Definitely it's not among his weakest works either.

Matti | 3/5 |