Yes - Classic Yes CD (album) cover

5 stars Another "Classic ---" compilation came to my mind after writing about "Classic [Wishbone] Ash". While I'm a bit embarassed to have quite many compilations in my reviews list as I try to pick items with less reviews, I allow myself to add this beauty (which, in fact, must be one of the most rated compilations in PA). Not only does it contain a fantastic selection of YES from The Yes Album to Going For The One, it has also one of my dearest cover art. Could be the best of Roger Dean's fantasy landscapes with Relayer and Drama.

Chris Squire was the architect of this selection, and I think he did a great job in the limited space of a single LP (the last 2 live tracks were added on a separate 7"). The only way to get something from Topographic Oceans and Relayer too, would have been cruel excerpts of epic works. It rightfully excludes also Tormato and Drama. Could it be titled CLASSIC Yes if it didn't so? As for my finding of 70's YES, I'm not sure how many of the classic albums I found AFTER buying this compilation, but anyway this includes almost exactly my favourite tracks: 'Yours Is No Disgrace' and 'Starship Trooper' from The Yes Album, 'Heart of the Sunrise' from Fragile, 'And You And I' from Close To The Edge. 'Long Distance Runaround' and 'Fish' from Fragile are nice additions to bring more variety. Pretty little 'Wonderous Stories' naturally pales in comparison if you think of 'Awaken' or 'Turn of the Century' from Going For The One, but thank god it's not 'Parallels' or the title track.

To whom this is recommendable is a tougher question. Well, to anybody who doesn't own the studio albums and who will be satisfied to just a narrow selection of some of the best prog music in the universe. ;)

Matti | 5/5 |