CLASSIC YES

Yes Classic Yes album cover

Buy YES Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1981

1. Heart Of The Sunrise (10:32)
2. Wonderous Stories (3:45)
3. Yours Is No Disgrace (9:41)
4. Starship Trooper (9:26)
5. Long Distance Runaround (3:33)
6. Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) (2:35)
7. And You And I (10:07)
8. Roundabout (live) (7:23)
9. I've Seen All Good People (live) (7:00)

NB: on the original LP release (1981), the live tracks 8 & 9 were included on a separate 7" disc (Atlantic SAM-141). The CD remaster (82687) appended them to the main disc, as did the original cassette version (K-450842).

Search YES Classic Yes lyrics

- Alan White / drums on 2, 8 and 9
- Bill Bruford / drums on 1, 3-7
- Steve Howe / guitars

LP Atlantic 19320 (1981)
CD Atlantic CD 82687 (1994 remaster)

and to Joolz for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Classic Yes Music

Atlantic 2003
RelayerRelayer
Remastered · Extra tracks
Elektra 2003
Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary CollectionUltimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection
Elektra / Wea 2004
Time and a WordTime and a Word
Remastered · Extra tracks
Elektra / Rhino 2003
PATRICK MORAZ III JAPAN MINI LP CD YES KING CRIMSON PINK FLOYD US $17.99 Buy It Now 35m 52s
Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie 7" Single 1977 rca german pb 5526 ps US $15.89 Buy It Now 37m 15s
Vintage 1980 {YES} DRAMA 33 LP US $7.25 [0 bids]
41m 54s
Mason,Barbara - Yes I'm Ready [CD New] US $14.70 Buy It Now 49m 53s
Mason,Barbara - Yes I'm Ready [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 50m
1975 - YES - Yesterdays + UK Tour Dates - Double Page Press Advert - Poster Size US $15.04 Buy It Now 1h
YES-UNION LIVE 1991-JAPAN MINI LP 2CD LIMITED EDITION I98 US $44.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
YES FRIDGE MAGNET US $3.76 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Harley,Bill - Yes To Running [CD New] US $15.36 Buy It Now 1h 10m
ROYCE PORTER - YES I DO / LOOKIN - 2 KILLER ROCKABILLY BOPPERS - REPRO US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 11m
The Yes Album, Yes, 33 LP US $8.37 Buy It Now 1h 16m
YES; Tormato; 1978 vinyl LP US $6.68 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Shooting at Unarmed Men-Yes! Tinnitus! CD Very Good US $7.03 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Yes Union CD (UK Import) NEW US $8.78 Buy It Now 1h 21m
DO ME BAD THINGS - YES! [DO ME BAD THINGS] [5050467757226] - NEW CD US $1.78 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Laurel Lorenzo Aitken-i love you yes i do 12" US $16.71 [0 bids]
JON ANDERSON (YES) 'IN THE CITY OF ANGELS' US IMPORT LP 'PROMOTION ONLY' COPY US $16.71 Buy It Now 1h 39m
SHIRLEY BROWN: Woman To Woman / Yes Sir Brother 45 Soul US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Nakashima Mika - YES CD+DVD SET *SEALED* OBI US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Yes New York (U.S. Version) US $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 54m
YES! US $4.12 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Smokey Robinson Yes It's You Lady - Sealed vinyl LP album record US $13.37 Buy It Now 1h 59m
MELISSA ETHERIDGE YES I AM CD CHEAP US $8.35 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Magnification (Extra Tracks) by Yes : Format: Audio CD US $16.20 Buy It Now 2h 6m
YES Relayer LP UK Early Press A6 B1 Original Inner + Porky Stamper EX Condition US $10.86 [0 bids]
YES Drama 1980 LP Vinyl = A1 condition! US $10.87 Buy It Now 2h 13m
YES Yesshows UK 2LP Original 1st Pressing Stunning Archive Near Mint!! US $13.38 [0 bids]
RARE radio show w/ Beatles, Yes, Rockwell, Go Gos, Cars, Phil Collins!!! US $19.99 [0 bids]
Yes?-Close To The Edge-1st PRESS 1972 ORIGINAL SPAIN PLUM/ORANGE ATLANTIC US $59.90 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Sensations 45 rpm "Let Me In/Oh Yes, I'll Be True" US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
r NU SHOOZ 7" PS JAPAN SOULD I SAY YES? promo G720 US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 54m
YES Yessongs UK 3LP Early Pressing A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 + photo book EX Near Mint! US $20.08 [0 bids]
CHAD BROCK-Yes/GEORGE JONES-Hank Williams Jr.MARK WILLS US $7.29 Buy It Now 3h 6m
12 Inch Cat Curtiss Yes I Love You /I Won't Let You Go US $6.75 Buy It Now 3h 10m
(R) CANARO FRANCISCO Tango 78rpm Nacional 4801 Yes,Yes-Fox Trot/Sube y Baja US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
GILBERTO SEXTET YES, I WILL JAPAN US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Just Say Roe: Volume VII of Just Say Yes (CD, Jul-1994, Sire) US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 12m
YES Yes Album Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $23.34 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Yes, Pet Shop Boys etc. (CD, Apr-2009, 2 Discs, Astralwerks) US $10.00 [1 bids]
YES " GOING FOR THE ONE" JAPAN RARE Tri-fold LP with Lliner note US $12.99 [0 bids]
Yes(Vinyl LP)Yesterdays-Atlantic-ATL 50 048-Germany-VG/Ex US $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Yes(Vinyl LP)Classic-Atlantic-ATL K 50 842-Germany-VG/VG US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Yes(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Drama-Atlantic-K 50736-UK-VG/VG US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Yes(Vinyl LP)Tormato-Atlantic-K 50518-UK-VG+/VG US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Yes(Vinyl LP Trifold)Going For The One-Atlantic-K 50379-UK-VG/VG- US $15.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
YES Going For The One CD NEW US $11.63 Buy It Now 3h 41m
YES-90125-RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV PRESSING LP 1984+INNER SLEEVE/LYRCIS US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
SHIGGIES Clark Terry Yes, The Blues 1981 LP RED VINYL US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
4 Yes LP's US $12.00 [0 bids]
Yes - (2003) REMASTERED 14 TRACK CD WITH ALL COLOUR ARTWORK US $4.15 [0 bids]
Yes - Album (2003) REMASTERED 9 TRACK CD WITH ALL ARTWORK US $4.15 [0 bids]
Yes: "Highlights - The Best Of" CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
YES - THE LADDER CD 1999 ADVANCE MUSIC CD PROMO US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Yes - Time and a Word (2003) REMASTERED/EXPANDED 12 TRACK CD ALBUM WITH ARTWORK US $4.48 [2 bids]
4h
Yes : 90125 CD (1984) US $3.25 Buy It Now 4h
PROG ROCK/ Yes - Leave It (Promo) US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
JETS, YES TONIGHT JOSEPHINE /HIDEAWAY-UK EMI 7" PS 1981 US $2.66 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Classic Yes by Yes (CD, Jun-2011, Atlantic (Label)) US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 9m
OPERATOR PLEASE - YES CD ~ SONG ABOUT PING PONG *NEW* US $16.45 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am (c)1993 - Used CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 17m
YES BOSS More Or Less UK 7" PS 2006 near mint/ex+ US $6.68 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Yes - Time And A Word (NEW VINYL LP) US $35.12 Buy It Now 4h 23m
AC/DC-LED ZEPPELIN/YES/GENESIS/CSNY/BAD COMPANY-Remasterpieces-OR.PROMO ONLY CD! US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 23m
* YES - The Yes Album [Remaster] US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Yes 'Drama' CD in mini vinyl replica card sleeve with 10 bonus tracks US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
1949 78 Tony Pastor "There's Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes" "Baby Talk" COLUMBIA - E- US $6.18 Buy It Now 4h 33m
In a Word [Box] by Yes (CD, Jul-2002, 5 Discs, Rhino) US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
FRAGILE By YES , 24 KARAT GOLD CD, MOFI, MFSL, Mobile Fidelity AUDIOPHILE US $89.99 Buy It Now 4h 41m
YES LOVE WILL FIND A WAY UK ATCO 7" P/S NM HOLY LAMB US $6.68 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra LP 1956 Yes Indeed ! US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
YES Close To The Edge 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $30.03 Buy It Now 4h 53m
YES Drama UK LP Original 1st Pressing G/F + Lyric Sheet Near Mint Archive US $20.08 [0 bids]
YES BIG GENERATOR SEALED COLUMBIA RECORD CLUB ISSUE PROG ROCK LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart 12" Single LP Classic Rock Doors Led Zeppelin RARE US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
YES LP DRAMA US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 7m
YES And Friends NEW Double CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Teri Desario 45 With Your Love/Yes,I'm Ready Casablanca Records 1979 #NB2227 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
YES LP CLASSIC W/ SHRINK COLUMBIA RECORD CLUB ISSUE US $7.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Soul 45 THE CHI-LITES Yes I'm Ready (If I Don't Get to Go) on Brunswick US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 17m
CHI-LITES: Have You Seen Her/Yes I'm Ready US $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $5.00 [0 bids]
YES -CLOSE TO THE EDGE -SIGNED COVER BY RICK WAKEMAN -ATLANTIC FRANCE -1972 PROG US $5.67 [3 bids]
In a Word Yes NEW 5 CD's Jon Anderson Steve Howe Bill Bruford RHINO US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Funky Party Band On Drive Too Much Funk.. Yes it is 7" 45 Miami Soul Funk US $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
7" 45 RPM W/ PIX SLEEVE... JUNIOR: YES (IF YOU WANT ME) & NOT TONIGHT US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
PETER GABRIEL MINI LP 6 CD JAPAN Box New GENESIS YES PINK FLOYD US $379.99 Buy It Now 5h 34m
YES-90125*VG+*OWNER OF A LONELY HEART*ANDERSON/SQUIRE/WHITE/RABIN/KAYE*BADGER US $1.99 [0 bids]
YES "Tales From Topographic Oceans" LP US $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 34m
LEO O'NEAL - I'M A TOM CAT / KEEP A LOOKIN' YES, 7" TRIBE 45-8325 (VG+)(M-) US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
BONDSMEN:I Love You,Yes I Do 2:11-Out Of Sight 2:21-U.S. 7" Justice Recording US $248.98 Buy It Now 5h 41m
YES-TORMATO*SHRINK WRAP*VG+*WAKEMAN/ANDERSON/HOWE/SQUIRE/WHITE*PROG ROCK US $1.99 [0 bids]
MIKE OLDFIELD & JON ANDERSON Vinyl 7" Pic Disc (Yes/Rock) US $17.55 [2 bids]
Thelma Carpenter Coral 45 Record #64421 VG+ Gimme A Little Kiss / Yes I'm US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
FATS DOMINO:YES, MY DARLING/DON'T YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU:IMPERIAL DISK G+ US $23.41 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Yes Fragile 1972 Vinyl LP Record US $3.00 [0 bids]
RICK WAKEMAN-JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH*VG+*A&M 3156*YES US $1.99 [0 bids]
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge US $3.44 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Pat & Pam Rare Nor. 7" I Love You Yes I Do Our Own Beautiful VG++ US $44.50 Buy It Now 5h 56m
YES Yes 1st UK LP Atlantic Signed Autographed Bill Bruford Genesis King Crimson US $17.55 [2 bids]
12 Inch Juelz Santana Oh Yes / Shottas 3 Mixes Each US $3.75 Buy It Now 6h 2m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Classic Yes ratings distribution

YES Classic Yes reviews

Review by greenback
4 stars This album is a compilation of among the best early YES songs, from "The Yes Album", "Fragile", "Close to the Edge" and "Going for the One". I find the choice of the songs very well made: "Heart Of The Sunrise", "Wonderous Stories", "Yours Is No Disgrace", "Starship Trooper", "Long Distance Runaround", "Fish", "And You And I", "Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People". All those tracks are excellent. The tracks mostly come from "The Yes Album" and "Fragile". It definitely gives the listener an excellent overview of what YES made during the early 70's! The 2 last tracks, "Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People" were recorded live.

My rating: 4.5/5

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#13656) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2004

Review by Guillermo
4 stars A compilation of the most representative songs of the band until then, selected by Chris Squire, from YES`s most praised albums ("The YES album", "Fragile" "Close to the Edge"), with also one song from the "Going for the One" album. It also includes previously unreleased live recordings of "Roundabout" and "I`ve seen all good people", recorded during the "Tormatour" in late 1978, which were released as a bonus single included inside the L.P. cover. The C.D. also includes these two live recordings, added at the end of the C.D. tracks listing. The 1994 remastered C.D. also includes additional artwork by Roger Dean.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#13655) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This is a very comprehensive compilation of the classic YES era. There's not much anything special here for the collectors who are know with the band, except that there are two live songs on it ("Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People"), and if you have the original albums as precious vinyl ablums, this might be a good CD to your car for example. The longest epics are not here, if you miss them you should check out "Yesyears" boxed set. Also the material from the two first albums are presented on the "Yesterdays" compilation. By the way, Roger Dean's covers are once more quite nice!

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#13662) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars This compilation is a great introduction to the band's career in music industry, spanning from "The Yes Album" (1971) until "Going For The One" (1977) album. Or it can be said since the band hired Steve Howe as guitar player. "Heart Of The Sunrise" (10:32) is a great track with inventive bass lines and soaring keyboard sounds - taken from "Fragile" album. "Wonderous Stories" (3:45) is an acoustic guitar based music featuring nice vocal by Jon Anderson - taken from "Going For The One" album. This compilation also features great tracks from The Yes Album: "Yours Is No Disgrace" (9:41) and "Starship Trooper" (9:26) plus two live tracks.

As I said, it's a great compilation but I would suggest you to purchase each individual album as Yes music is much better enjoyed on album by album basis - not in the form of compilation. But if you never heard Yes music, this represents a good feature of their music. Keep on proggin' ..!

Yours progressively, GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#39593) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2005

Review by Australian
3 stars "Classic Yes "was among my first progressive albums and I purchased it along with '90125' and The Ladder' with some of my Birthday money long ago. The three of these albums brought along a great era of music for me and it inspired by to get 'Close to the Edge', 'Relayer' and the rest from the 70's. I personally think this album would be better if it had a song from' Drama', maybe 'Tempus Fugit' to give the listener a taste of everything. Sadly "Classic Yes" has fallen into shadows as I'd just rather listen to the original studio albums. There is a collector's incentive to "Classic Yes" as it includes live version of "Roundabout" and "I've Seen all Good People." There is an interesting section at the end of "I've Seen all Good People" where each member has a short solo. In the End "Classic Yes" is good for a beginner to Yes and for potential collectors of Yes. I find it interesting that only eigth albums in all of Yes's history haven't charted in the UK. Yes's 'Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection' ranked a very high number 10 in the UK which is a testament to the bands ongoing popularity. Good, but non-essential

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#87784) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 21, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars Yes probably best exemplify the impact of the 80s on the rock-god dinosaurs of the generation that preceded the 80s vidiot phase of music. The members of the band changed partners like dancers in a square dance in the wake of Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman’s departures during the recording of 1980’s Drama release. Steve Howe and Geoff Downes took their newly-acquired collaboration skills off to form Asia; Alan White and Rick Wakeman hooked up with Jimmy Page to kick off the latest supergroup flop XYZ; Jon Anderson put out his family-and-friends collection Song of Seven; and Trevor Horn returned to his MTV ‘roots’ as a songwriter and producer for such forgettable acts as Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Art of Noise. You pretty much needed a scorecard to keep track of who ended up where.

Atlantic Records managed to recoup a pound of flesh through all these changes by patching together various concert tracks for the Yesshows live album, and shortly after released Classic Yes with the help of Chris Squire.

The first thing to note about this album is the name: these is not necessarily the ‘Best of’ Yes, nor is it really an anthology, but considering the selection of songs included here ‘Classic’ is an apt title. Clearly the label had a challenge on its hands in selecting the playlist – with Yesshows still on record store shelves, it was unlikely fans would stomach another double album, so including many of the epics like “Gates of Delirium”, “Close to the Edge”, or anything from Tales From Topographic Oceans was probably out of the question. Despite the modest commercial success of Tormato and, to a lesser extent Drama, nothing from those albums could really be considered ‘classic’. And the Yesterdays compilation from the band’s early work was still available, so none of those songs made much sense either. Actually, in that light, the songs that ended up here were probably about the only ones that could have logically been included.

I have the original vinyl version, which shipped with a plainly-labeled 7” single containing the live versions of “Roundabout” and “I’ve Seen All Good People”. I’m not sure exactly which tour these came from, but both are pretty faithful renditions, although the band actually seems to have been in a hurry to play “Roundabout”, as it’s execution borders on perfunctory.

The rest of the album is made up of original studio recordings, so the quality is quite good. These songs are all from The Yes Album and Fragile, except for “And You And I” from Close To The Edge and “Wonderous Stories”, which was still in light rotation on many FM radio stations coming off the Going For The One release a couple years prior. I really can’t think of too many other songs that would have made any more sense than these, with the possible exception of the single edit of “Soon” from “Gates of Delirium” that was added to the re-mastered release of Relayer several years later. That would have sounded nice here.

This is a decent collection of the band’s more accessible and better known works, and in that respect is a very good entry point for those wanting to get into Yes. Combine this with Yesterdays and you have a very decent sampling of the band. If those both appeal to you, then you can start walking through the back catalog and relive the Yes story yourself. If not, at least you’ll have mostly experienced the magic of Yes without having to break the bank or work too hard to find all those other albums. Three stars only because compilations are rarely essential.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#89398) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 10, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I purchased the CD version of this compilation somewhere in 1997 or so. At that time, I was reconstructing my YesCatologue on CD. From their early days, I had YesSongs and was quite satisfied with it. From there on, I bought every single YesRecord (till GFTO). When I saw this CD, I had a look at the tracklist and I found it quite catchy so, I decided to buy it. It was a journey back to the past that I was experiencing. Discovering those great studio tracks ages after I started to love them in 1973 with "YesSongs" (for the majority of the songs represented here - the exception being "Wonderous Stories" form GFTO). Since the sound quality of "YesSongs" was rather poor, I was really charmed by some superior studio tracks (you can read my "YesSongs" review for more details). The only song that does not belong here is "The Fish" but fortunately it lasts only for about two minutes. The single CD format is not the best one for a Yes compilation (no epic to be found here of course), but the track selection is really great. I would recommend it to you if you are willing to enter into their most creative period. Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#106333) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 06, 2007

Review by ghost_of_morphy
4 stars If you need to buy a compilation that has these songs on it, shame on you. This entire collection is culled from the four best albums that Yes has ever released and which you should already own and cherish. That said, this is the CD I'd give to somebody who'd never heard of Yes (or who only heard Owner of a Lonely Heart.) All of the songs on here live up to the word "Classic" and the two live tracks are great (especially I've Seen All Good People.) In a perfect world, I suppose that Wondrous Stories and Heart of the Sunrise would be replaced by Close to the Edge and/or Awaken, so we'll give this one four stars.

Send comments to ghost_of_morphy (BETA) | Report this review (#122053) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 14, 2007

Review by progaardvark
3 stars I originally purchased this as an LP when I first started listening to music. Back then, the last two tracks were on a 7-inch single that came with the album. Although I no longer have this album, I still remember it fondly and gave it quite a few spins. I ended up selling it when I had acquired all the earlier albums that the songs on this compilation came from.

This is a decent selection of some of Yes' best material from the early 1970s, but it's main problem is so much was left out. My guess is the record company (or whoever had the power) decided it only wanted one LP and not some multiple-LP set. You can only fit so much on one LP, so to put as many songs on it as possible, the shorter items were chosen. So no Close to the Edge, no Starship Trooper, nothing from Tales from Topographic Oceans, etc.

I guess it served its purpose back in 1981 as an introduction to the classic Yes. Nowadays, if you can find it real cheap you might want to consider it as a good purchase for an introduction to 1970s Yes. I personally would recommend getting The Yes Album or Close to the Edge instead. If you don't like those, there's no sense in buying anything else. If you do, chances are you'll be getting a lot more from Yes. I don't think this compilation is essential at all, but it's got a good selection of songs. Three stars.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#129501) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 20, 2007

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
5 stars Another "Classic ---" compilation came to my mind after writing about "Classic [Wishbone] Ash". While I'm a bit embarassed to have quite many compilations in my reviews list as I try to pick items with less reviews, I allow myself to add this beauty (which, in fact, must be one of the most rated compilations in PA). Not only does it contain a fantastic selection of YES from The Yes Album to Going For The One, it has also one of my dearest cover art. Could be the best of Roger Dean's fantasy landscapes with Relayer and Drama.

Chris Squire was the architect of this selection, and I think he did a great job in the limited space of a single LP (the last 2 live tracks were added on a separate 7"). The only way to get something from Topographic Oceans and Relayer too, would have been cruel excerpts of epic works. It rightfully excludes also Tormato and Drama. Could it be titled CLASSIC Yes if it didn't so? As for my finding of 70's YES, I'm not sure how many of the classic albums I found AFTER buying this compilation, but anyway this includes almost exactly my favourite tracks: 'Yours Is No Disgrace' and 'Starship Trooper' from The Yes Album, 'Heart of the Sunrise' from Fragile, 'And You And I' from Close To The Edge. 'Long Distance Runaround' and 'Fish' from Fragile are nice additions to bring more variety. Pretty little 'Wonderous Stories' naturally pales in comparison if you think of 'Awaken' or 'Turn of the Century' from Going For The One, but thank god it's not 'Parallels' or the title track.

To whom this is recommendable is a tougher question. Well, to anybody who doesn't own the studio albums and who will be satisfied to just a narrow selection of some of the best prog music in the universe. ;)

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#131488) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 03, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Oh, well, Yes first ´best of´ package. I can´t say I like it, although all songs are excellent. Yes is one fo those groups you can´t really understand their work without hearing the whole piece. I mean, at least from The Yes Album until Going For The One. I must confess I had this album for a short time, when a friend gave me in the early 90´s. At the time I still had no Yes album in CD. But the moment I heard those songs I knew I had to have the original albums. Those classics have no meaning for me without the other tracks.

Ok, if you´re new to Yes, this is a good starting point. It has some of their best known numbers, but it is also missing many others. Being cheap is the only reason I can recommend this album. Other than that, go get their classics 70´s stuff. It may be more expensive, but you´ll get much more satisfaction also.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#166232) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Review by memowakeman
4 stars A Classic compillation album, from one of the dinosaurs of prog rock!

Well, this review will actually be short compared with the ones i use to write, since it's always easier to review a compillation album than a studio album, and even easier when you know from head to feet and viceversa the music featured.

And yes that is the case, several years listening to Yes' music have not passed along, since i first listened to them i knew that would be a band i will like.

This compillation of a kind of best of, features 9 extraordinary pieces of Yes music in their 70s era, that is why the name of Classic Yes. Here what we will find are 9 songs that any Yes fan know perfectly, songs that describe their music and what they have done to progressive rock, so in my opinion this is a strong compilation album, which is worth listening and recommendable for both a Yes fan or a Yes newbie who is looking for increasing it's love for the band.

Just for mentioning some tracks here, Heart of the Sunrise, Starship Trooper, And You And I and a couple of live versions of the classics Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People.

As i said previously, a strong compilation, and recommendable. 4 stars!

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#181145) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 30, 2008

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Yes - Classic YES review

By Progkidjoel

Classic YES is possibly the best starting point for a new listener to the band which held the benchmark for Prog throughout the 70's - What you get it some of their most solid tracks from three of their best albums, for a great price and remastered lovingly. Although not one for the YES fan of years, as I said before, this is the best starting point for a begginer. It includes what many people consider to be YES' most iconic tracks (Other than Close To The Edge) and includes a kickarse live version of ROUNDABOUT, which challenges the original for musicianship.

I consider this to be the easiest to reccomed prog compilation for any listener - Any listener new to YES, that is.

If you're trying out prog, or YES, grab this one and don't think twice.

Keep proggin'!

-Joel

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#223929) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post Rock Team
3 stars This was my introduction to Yes. Apart from "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" and to a lesser extent "Roundabout", I had never heard any of their music. The first time I listened to this, "Heart Of The Sunrise" blew me away and "Wondrous Stories" bored me to tears. The two live songs here("Roundabout", "All Good People") didn't really sound good for something recorded in the late 1970s. Overall it was a good introduction to the band.

This collection made me want to get into the band's 3 most popular albums(TYA, Fragile, CTTE), but made me skeptical of anything that came after(and to a certain extent before). If I were to change anything it would be to replace the live songs with the studio versions; and switch "And You And I" and "Wondrous Stories" with "Siberian Khatru" and "Don't Kill The Whale", respectively. "Wondrous Stories" is such a wimpy, unmemorable song. I can't believe this was a hit. I thought everyone was listening to punk at the time. Apparently not. The most popular song of 1977 was Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life", so "Wondrous Stories" isn't far off.

This would be 5 star stuff if the changes I wanted were made. But as it is, it's still a good compilation and a great place to start for a newbie. Although, once you get all the 1970s albums you will rarely listen to this again. Nothing essential, great introduction. 3 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#306166) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 22, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars Classic Yes was one of my first, if not the first, recollections of hearing Yes. I remember being completely fascinated by the artwork of Roger Dean which was a great companion to the music featured on this compilation. All these first experiences really bring a feeling of nostalgia whenever I revisit this album, which is why it's now an important part of my album collection.

You really cannot go wrong when compiling a collection from the classic Yes years of 1971-72. I think that whoever compiled this album made a decent job and even if the addition of Wonderous Stories makes no sense in the great scheme of things, it adds charm to the already well-balanced compilation. One might question the addition of Chris Squire's Fish (Schindleria Praematurus), but just listen to the combo track of Long Distance Runaround / The Fish off Yessongs and it will hopefully make a bit more sense.

I like the idea of hearing Heart Of The Sunrise as an album-opener and not its conclusion, as it's positioned on Fragile, and it makes me wonder why it wasn't placed as such on the original studio release? Maybe it has to do with Yes being a commercial act that always put their hit material in the beginning of the album, but now I digress. I miss a few tracks like South Side Of The Sky, Sound Chaser and the live version of Perpetual Change. Even though I love both Close To The Edge and Gates Of Delirium, I can clearly see why those tracks wouldn't make much sense on a compilation album and therefore have no problem with their absence.

I could start a discussion on how this and that track could have easily substituted some of the material on this record, but this type of talk only strengths the argument against all type of compilation albums. If you want to hear what Yes were all about, then I suggest you listen to their original studio albums. This compilation gives a solid first bite for anyone who has previously never heard Yes, but remember that you're only seeing a very biased retrospective of their music. Luckily it's not a bad thing in the grand scheme of things, especially since the music here is so good!

***** star songs: Heart Of The Sunrise (10:32) Yours Is No Disgrace (9:41) Starship Trooper (9:26)

**** star songs: Wonderous Stories (3:45) Long Distance Runaround (3:33) Fish (Schindleria Praematurus) (2:35) And You And I (10:07) Roundabout (live) (7:23) I've Seen All Good People (live) (7:00)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#328982) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 21, 2010

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
2 stars Great songs but can't recommend it

Still remember that afternoon back in 1981, when I was walking in front of a record store in my native Lima, immediately a strange but at the same time familiar art cover caught my eyes, it was a YES album that I didn't had. In those days you could only find disco music in Lima, so without listening or even checking the song list, bought the LP.

I was alone in the car, so threw the record to the passenger's seat and didn't checked it until I reached my home, where I placed it in my old Dual turntable and started to listen...Let's be honest, the music was great, but there was a problem, I had all the tracks in other albums and even in a couple of homemade cassettes prepared to be listened in my old Pioneer KP-500.

God, I felt robbed?Why should I pay for songs I already had. To make it worst, the only interesting songs which are two never released before live versions of Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People were mentioned as sold in a separate record that wasn't available in Perú.

That was the drop that spilled the cup, placed the album in an empty LP package (which I never listened again) and immediately framed the art cover for my room (The only valuable thing of the album). That day I decided I would never buy a compilation without checking the songs first and had some previously unreleased material.

Well, that's more or less what I have to say, the album has seven good songs that I would had never bought, so if you are a YES newbie who wants to become familiar with their stuff, buy YESSONGS and if you are already familiar with the band, get the original albums, where the songs are performed in the order that makes sense, don't waste your money in this unnecessary album that only helps the label to make money.

I won't go with one star because the songs are too good, but won't go with more than two, because I don't recommend anybody to buy this sort of "Best of Yes" that isn't worth it's cost.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#902853) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Classic Yes' - Yes (75/100)

What is the problem with best-of compilations in progressive rock? It's certainly not that progressive bands aren't deserving of them, or even that there isn't a use for them; after all, a go-to record filled with choice cuts from a vast discography can be perfect for someone otherwise daunted by the prospect of going in blind. The real problem, I believe at least, is that record executives (or whoever else is in charge) will often find the songs with the most immediate gratification, some sort of expression that manages to convey a facsimile of the band's essence in the most concise way their discography provides. Almost always in progressive rock, this results in flurries of radio edits, where a gorgeous ten minute epic might be sliced into some three minute echo of itself - seriously, it's like taking a lion, shearing his mane, pulling out his claws, muzzling him, and forcing him to star on a morning kid's TV show. Yes proved they could circumvent this common issue when the eight minute "Roundabout" ate up the radio waves, and Classic Yes is a welcome exception. Perhaps it's become outdated in an age where we can find a recommended song online freely, but Yes' second best-of compilation is still deserving of praise for maintaining its integrity, and actually providing an accurate reflection of Yes' progressive period. While I'd recommend starters The Yes Album or Fragile as good places to begin, Classic Yes is an effective guide for the entry- level fan; in that regard, it accomplishes what it set out for.

Where Classic Yes earns the height of its praise is the fact that none of these tracks have been abridged or dumbed down in any way. "And You And I" would make a lovely three minute track, but there it is in its ten minutes-plus glory. "Heart of the Sunrise" is an epic unto itself, and here it is opening the album, with only the "We Have Heaven" outro excluded for flow's sake. The selections have been mostly plucked from The Yes Album and Fragile, but they extend as far as 1977's Going for the One. Considering the scope and aim of the compilation, they made some great choices, including ones I wouldn't have guessed. "Long Distance Runaround" is featured here as a decent, pop-oriented track, but it's followed by "The Fish", as it was on Fragile. I think "Going for the One" would have been a more interesting choice than the mellow "Wonderous Stories", but for the most part, the essence is captured. Of course, no best-of compilation of Yes could have been complete without "Roundabout", but instead of delivering it in its traditional form, Classic Yes offers a strong 1978 live rendition of the song.

Like I said, this and other best-of compilations have been rendered largely obsolete in the internet age, but Classic Yes represents one of the few times a prog comp was made true to the source material. For that, it's deserving of commendation. Cover art's not too shabby either.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#1136504) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 24, 2014

3 stars Yes is a group truly impossible to encapsulate in a restricted format like this, but Classic Yes does a pretty good job. Focusing primarily on the band's "classic" period (hence the title), this compilation came out after the commercial failure Drama and before the commercial windfall of 9012 ... (read more)

Report this review (#922894) | Posted by coasterzombie | Sunday, March 03, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Is it possible to put out a greatest hits album containing the best of Yes? Not really. This release contains about 65 minutes of music. 2 tracks are live. "Roundabout" and "Iv'e Seen All Good People". I hear it was Chris Squire who selected the songs to include on the disc. Must have been an almo ... (read more)

Report this review (#749360) | Posted by mohaveman | Saturday, May 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a very good best of album. It introduces the listener to some classic yes songs while not given to many. I dislike large anthology albums as i find they can include to many difficult songs. The only problem i have abou this album is Fish which i find annoying and I also dislike the inclu ... (read more)

Report this review (#164985) | Posted by Singe-fou | Wednesday, March 26, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars "Compiled by Chris Squire" ...He compiled it,so he can include "The fish" in it...:) Egomaniac...ok,it's only 2:35 long... The songs are all great,but where is Awaken,Close to the edge,Siberian khatru,Sound chaser... Ok ok,maybe I want too much,but he could pulled it off with a double vinyl.. ... (read more)

Report this review (#140359) | Posted by Frier_John | Monday, September 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Essential for first prog adventurers, this is the compilation that will make you stick around with Yes for a while - if not forever. here we basically have a most strong songs, from their most representative albums, the most catchy ones: the beautiful ones. this was the first yes cassette i ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#128934) | Posted by luisman | Monday, July 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars EXCELLENT compilation in terms of what tracks were selected.. But Yes isn't really that compilation-friendly. The best thing for newcomers (hah, like there are any here) to Yes is to buy The Yes Album or Fragile and be immersed in the greatness album wide, the tracks shine together, and each albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#104887) | Posted by OGTL | Friday, December 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It was really impossible to make a compilation of the seventies years with YES. Probably this compilation found a sense after the seventies, before a complete change with 90125. The vinyl edition does not includes the two unreleased live tracks. My first impressing when I saw the album for t ... (read more)

Report this review (#48497) | Posted by spide | Monday, September 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This albums contains all the essential yes songs of the 70's, with songs from Close to the Edge, The Yes Album, Fragile and Going for the One. But unfortuntly there are no songs from Relayer (or Tales From Topographic ocens). They could have added Sound Chaser to it to make the collection more ... (read more)

Report this review (#48446) | Posted by Olympus | Monday, September 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 4.5 stars Here we have a great compilation of Yes' truly "classic" material ranging from their most acclaimed early '70's albums. It was put together by bassist Chris Squire. A live version of Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People is included, making it worthwhile for the completionist. ... (read more)

Report this review (#44058) | Posted by | Wednesday, August 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the best compilation I have ever had. This album is the album I loan out to my freinds when they are interested in Yes. The live songs are incredible and also adds to the idea of a collectible item (these tracks cannot be found anywhere else except on a bootleg maybe...). If you're new ... (read more)

Report this review (#37690) | Posted by drumsandbass | Saturday, June 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This wonderful compilation was the second YES CD I purchased, the first being "Close to the edge". I`d been a big YES fan since before the release of the "90125" album in`83, owning all the albums on vinyl, but by the early nineties it was time to move to CD`s. This is where "Classic Yes" comes ... (read more)

Report this review (#13661) | Posted by | Monday, March 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I'd never heard of Yes unitl I heard Homeworld from The Ladder and the the only reason I heard that was because it was in the credits of the videogame Homeworld. I was hooked right then and there. I went looking for a copy of the Ladder but it wasn't in print at the time so I eventually bought C ... (read more)

Report this review (#13658) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The ONLY thing I gotta say about this, is that after hearing this stuff, I bought THe Yes Album, and the rest of their works, I really have a special appreciation on this album, it was the beginning of what will be now 5 years of listening and loving this band. Compilations help to gain more audienc ... (read more)

Report this review (#13651) | Posted by Carlos | Saturday, April 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars For those with no previous exposure to Yes this is a compilation that will make you want to purchace the entire back catalogue. Those who already own every Yes album will have a reason to own it for the live cuts. Everybody wins! ... (read more)

Report this review (#13650) | Posted by Matt | Thursday, March 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Classic Yes"