Pink Floyd - P-U-L-S-E CD (album) cover

P-U-L-S-E

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Matti
4 stars My first review for this band I've digged for 20+ years. Technically this DVD that appeared in 2006 is probably the most perfect (ionistic) one I've come across. And it's very luxurious about its contents; the video version pales completely in comparison. Oh, if only I loved the music of latter-day Floyd too, I'd be in heaven when putting it on my DVD player. But songs like 'Learning To Fly', 'Take it Back' or 'Coming Back To Life' leave me quite cold, and the expensive lightshow of the concert can't hide that fact. While the second disc has the legendary Dark Side Of The Moon performed in total, the first one has, quite naturally, emphasis on the two Gilmour-led albums' material, especially when the extras are concerned (2 videos and bootleg shootings of four songs. 1-minute TV ad of P-U-L-S-E is very fine, and the screen films on disc 1 include also 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' - WOW!). The highlights (disc 1) are no doubt 'Shine On' and 'One Of These Days'. The stage show in general is a bit hollow and clinical in its pomposity. Everything's so goddamn measured, if you know what I mean. And the three dancing background vocalists in their white dresses could have been given time off the stage. But the screen films improve things a lot whenever they appear. They all are very well done and very 'Floydian' visually.

Disc 2 is free of post-Waters stuff and is pure enjoyment to any fan, I believe. So, even if you don't much care for the music of latter- day Floyd, this set is absolutely worth buying in all its luxury and perfection.

Matti | 4/5 |