Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening And Closing CD (album) cover

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

RIO/Avant-Prog

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars This was the first Sleepytime Gorilla Museum album I bought and experienced. Since then I've also purchased their two follow-up releases which we. That required some extra effort considering I live in Sweden!

At first I found the material here very challenging but I realized quite soon that there was a lot of hidden treasures underneath those compositions waiting to be discovered and that's when the album started to grow on me. The only complaint I have is that the final track feels like an unnecessary filler that I usually skip. This is quite disappointing considering that it's the longest composition here and I was originally expecting something truly spectacular. Otherwise there is greatness all around!

Eventually after listening to bands like The Art Bears, Univers Zero and Cardiacs I realized that Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's style wasn't quite as original as I first assumed although there is still enough originality in it to still keep me entertained!

***** star songs: Sleep Is Wrong (6:35) Ambugaton (5:38) 1997 (4:48)

**** star songs: Ablutions (6:05) The Miniature (0:59) Powerless (9:30) The Stain (6:46) Sleepytime (10:16)

*** star songs: Sunflower (7:52)

Total Rating: 4,16