GRAND OPENING AND CLOSING

Search SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM Grand Opening And Closing lyrics

Search SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM Grand Opening And Closing tabs

- Nils Frykdahl / guitars, tibetan bells, autoharp, voice
- David Shamrock / drums, piano
- Dan Rathbun / bass, slide-piano log, pedal action wiggler, thing, autoharp, voice
- Moe! Staiano / percussion, metal, pressure-cap marimba, spring, spring-nail guitar, popping turtle, food containers, timpani
- Carla Kihlstedt / violin, percussion guitar, autoharp, harmonium, voice

Guests:
- Frank Grau / drums on track 7

Seeland

SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM Grand Opening And Closing Music

Grand Opening & ClosingGrand Opening & Closing
The End Records 2006

More places to buy SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM music online Buy SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM Grand Opening And Closing ratings distribution

SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM Grand Opening And Closing reviews

Review by Atavachron
3 stars "A showing of artifacts from the first years of the Non-Apocalyptic Era has been culled further for inclusion in the present volume as the humble assortment of lullabies and headsplitters you hold in your dirty hands," begin the notes in this CD. It continues with this band's intriguing world of fables, "We drape it in the millennial mythology which clothes ancient fears (and hopes) in the guise of the technological god, cybernetic creator and destroyer of worlds. This pestilence of digital utopia even now burns brightly on the horizon, but over the ashes of its glory will crawl the patient, damp, senseless triumph of the mollusk."

I'm not sure what it all means but it does add to this group's mystique and to the superb packaging of the 2006 reissue of this album, with beautiful artwork, interesting prose and old world charm. What is important, of course, is the music and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum takes you through a bestial maze of it. A kind of dark carnival where one moment a clown is juggling and the next a trapeze artist is falling to his death. A musical exorcism, seething and undulating, building in front of the audience to its violent and painful but necessary finale, and no one gets out unscathed. Such is the bread and circus of Grand Opening and Closing, an astounding and tightly played collection of definitive American avant-garde rock music. Dave Shamrock of Thinking Plague plays drums & piano and some moments on this record are reminiscent of 'A History of Madnes', but also of Present, Univers Zero and Henry Cow. Laced throughout this neo-chamber foundation, however, is a healthy dose of thrash-metal riffage and primal growling from guitarist Nils Frykdahl. Plus powerhouse performances from drummer Matthias Bossi, percussionists Michael Mellender and Moe Staiano, bassist Dan Rathbun, and Carla Kihlstedt on a haunting violin, autoharp and pump organ.

Like a ripe wheel of stinky cheese, SGM's unsettling fare is only for the adventurous and I wouldn't recommend them for family gatherings, friendly get-togethers or dates. This stuff will take the enamel off your teeth so pull it out sparingly and make sure no one is home when you do.

Send comments to Atavachron (BETA) | Report this review (#104825) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 29, 2006

Review by el böthy
4 stars The Museum of all that is bizarre, grotesque, unsetling, idioteque and slighty infected has opend it´s gates ...and closed it again. The first album of Avant Garde modern kings (yes, they are) would be the one that features the most amount of "music", sort to speak, in comparison to their later outputs, which is neither better nor worst, just different. The introduction to the world of the new beast that is Sleepytime Gorilla Museum would come with a shock and a kick in the balls, and the brain also, why not? For those that were familiar with Idiot Flesh might have anticipated a new adventurous music, but I´m not sure anybody could have anticipated Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. "Grand Opening and Closing" is a fresh stroke of air we so often need in the music scene, be it in Avant Garde, Prog of music in general, even though SGM is not for the general. Most definitly the best place to start with this guys, for it´s not as out there as "Of natural history" and not as dense as "In glorious times", the songs are songs, well, there are pieces of music the less adventurous would not describe as songs, most specially the closer Sunflower... which is pretty much random soft noises.

The stand outs are "Sleep is wrong" for it´s incredible riffs and diversity, "1997" with it´s angry but full of humour feeling, "Powerless" for it´s controlled mess and "Sleepytime"... for having all what they are in 10 min, yet this is album, as all of their albums, bust be heard as a unity, as a big piece, don´t shuffle, don´t listen two or three songs, listen it all, from start to finish... do it!!!

Send comments to el böthy (BETA) | Report this review (#156711) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars This was the first Sleepytime Gorilla Museum album I bought and experienced. Since then I've also purchased their two follow-up releases which we. That required some extra effort considering I live in Sweden!

At first I found the material here very challenging but I realized quite soon that there was a lot of hidden treasures underneath those compositions waiting to be discovered and that's when the album started to grow on me. The only complaint I have is that the final track feels like an unnecessary filler that I usually skip. This is quite disappointing considering that it's the longest composition here and I was originally expecting something truly spectacular. Otherwise there is greatness all around!

Eventually after listening to bands like The Art Bears, Univers Zero and Cardiacs I realized that Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's style wasn't quite as original as I first assumed although there is still enough originality in it to still keep me entertained!

***** star songs: Sleep Is Wrong (6:35) Ambugaton (5:38) 1997 (4:48)

**** star songs: Ablutions (6:05) The Miniature (0:59) Powerless (9:30) The Stain (6:46) Sleepytime (10:16)

*** star songs: Sunflower (7:52)

Total Rating: 4,16

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#161566) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 11, 2008

Review by J-Man
2 stars This is the debut album Rio/Avant prog band "Sleepytime Gorilla Museum". No, I did not misspell the name of the band if just the band name alone gives a "what are they thinking?" feeling, the music and awful lyrics probably will as well. With a few exceptions, I generally don't like this genre of music, but this certainly didn't change my mind. Now, before it sounds like I'm giving this a one star review instead of a two, something about this album is strangely intriguing at times. While some of the songs are so unthinkably awful that I'd rather jump off a cliff, some of the songs are decent very experimental (and weird) music pieces. However, there is not a single song without its fair share of flaws. Also, only a few of the musical pieces can be called "songs". Expect almost an entire album blending psychedelic rock, prog metal, and avant garde music similar to Revolution 9. The entire album I was waiting for a song to begin, let alone one that would actually grab my attention. After listening to this, I actually thought pop music was better.

What makes this album worth two stars instead of one is its ability to occasionally fascinate me with all of its weirdness. As a result, sometimes I will voluntarily listen to this album when I'm in the mood for something very creative and different. Unfortunately, many songs are worth skipping. This album includes, for better or for worse, a lot of odd time signatures with odd starts and stops. The arrangements aren't very typical either. Just look at what the band members play! Food container, "thing", popping turtle- this is very different music! There are borderline experimental/prog metal sections in addition to lighter sections (unfortunately) with unlistenable feminine vocals. There are some points where the vocals go so high that her voice can't hold the note, and she has a voice crack. Yet, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum decided to leave that on the album. Sadly, the male vocals aren't any better. It's simply lower pitched screaming that is completely unbearable.

Well, the people who are singing the lyrics certainly don't do it well, but I can't write this review without dedicating a paragraph to the awful lyrics. None of the lyrics here can be taken seriously, and they are actually some of the worst I've ever heard. While there isn't a single good lyric in the entire album, I'll just point out some of the worst. From the song "Powerless" comes this awful quote; "Finding some shoes. Losing you feet/Finding some food. Losing your teeth". The next quote is from "Ablutions"; "She hangs her skin up by the window and looks to see that all the doors are open". I've heard more than enough times that this is an intelligent and intellectual band, but the lyrics certainly don't prove it, even if it were to be true.

"Sleep is Wrong"- This is one of the few decent songs on the album. It starts out pretty weird, but about a minute in begins a complex section that sounds very promising. It experiments with odd time signatures and an awesome complex melody. This turns into a heavy section with just a repeated note with odd starts and stops. The singing is absolutely horrendous, but the reprise of the opening is very good. It is a good song where, unfortunately, the singing ruins almost the entire experience.

"Ambugaton"- This is by far the best song on "Grand Opening and Closing". It is almost completely instrumental, so the singing can't ruin this one like it did to the last song. This isn't nearly as weird as the other tracks, and is almost a standard prog metal song. This is a great song simply because it has no awful vocals and isn't quite as experimental. I wish the whole album would be like this.

"Ablutions"- A good thing can never last. After an excellent previous track, we have this unlistenable mess. This possibly has the worst lyrics on the album, and that is no small feat. The singing begins with the awful female vocals I mentioned earlier. The melody goes way too high for her range, and she can't even hold the note. Then later, the male vocals begin screaming pointlessly, and destroy the song even more. This is a perfect example of where singing can ruin a song. The music, even though it drags on too long, isn't that bad, but the singing turns this into a disastrous mess.

"1997"- Significantly better than the last track. This has pretty bad lyrics with unnecessary profanity, but the vocals don't seem as horrible here. The screaming is actually used pretty well because it fits the tone of the song. The music is more straightforward, which I find to be a plus for this band. It still has an experimental rock/metal feel, but it is much better.

"The Miniature"- This is a very short almost classical-like piece of music. I wish that more of the album would have used this sound. While it is pretty boring, it is far better than some of the other stuff on this album.

"Powerless"- This has okay moments, but definitely didn't need to run for over 9 minutes. The brief choruses are pretty cool, but most of the song is passable at best. One minute near the end there is what sounds like a cool jam session. But just when you think something good will come out of this song, both vocalists start annoyingly screaming "LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!". It ends oddly, and this is almost a completely terrible song, possibly the worst on the album.

"The Stain"- From the awful lyric "The man is thin and hungry because he's lazy/The seeds are sprouting in my garden" to the wannabe music, there's only one thing to say about this song. Skip it!

"Sleepytime"- This has a very strange and oddly intriguing opening that shows how both voices can sing if they actually try. After 5 minutes it gets pretty repetitive, but it introduces a new section with a cool build. This is far too long for the small amount of material that is in it, but it is a very good song. About 6 minutes in it has a guitar solo that almost reminds me of something from Yes. This is one of the better songs on the album, but of course, it isn't without its flaws.

"Sunflower"- This is almost 8 minutes long, but could easily get away with being 2 or 3. It's extremely repetitive, has no buildup, and just has a boring melody using psychedelic instruments. I never listen to this one.

Grand Opening and Closing falls into the "what could have been" category. It has some cool musical parts, but is ruined by the lyrics and singing. If this were all instrumental with some repetitive sections cut out, this could be worth a three, and maybe a four if I was feeling extra nice. It's clear there are some skilled musicians here with good ideas. You just need to get past an album where at least half of it is unlistenable, and the other half is decent at best. This album pretty much defines the two star rating: Collectors/Fans ONLY. This will only appeal to fans of the Avant prog genre. This won't convert you to the genre if you don't already like it. So, people like me, stay away from this one!

2/5 stars.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#224382) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009

Review by Sinusoid
4 stars My mind has been perverted, and I'm loving it.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are the most demented band I've ever come across. They're a strange hybird of metal (various forms), avant-garde, ambient and others into a strange thing that can only be described as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They're over-the-top in the vocal department almost to the point of sounding disgusting (sometimes Carla's voice cracks, and that's not good). That aside, their songwriting is actually quite impeccable.

Other than the plink-planking that lasts too long in ''Sunflower'' and the filler track ''The Stain'', every track is a hidden gem. From the Genesis-meets-Faith No More-meets Tim Burton opener in ''Sleep Is Wrong'' to the party-death metal of ''1997'' to the prog metal/RIO instrumental workout ''Ambugaton'', we have a hodge-podge of highlights of sick, twisted, theatrical prog. ''Ablutions'' is an insanely twisted mental problem under the guise of a quaint ballad.

Two epic-esque pieces highlight the album in tremendous fashion. ''Powerless'' is notable for its synth like sounds and the start-stop verses that sometimes go into screaming and noise guitar. But we're all waiting for the big ''Sleepytime'' track, a track that I interpret as someone slowly descending into madness. It starts off innocently enough with a more folksy setting before adding some electric guitars. The way the vocals get more and more passionate with each passing stanza adds to the intensity and really his me in a weak spot every time.

I usually don't consider bonus tracks, ''Flinch'' and ''More Time'' are both interesting enough to make me think, ''I wonder why these weren't included on the original...'' But I'll let minor complaints go knowing that this is one of the most unique takes on prog rock I've heard, even if SGM overdoes it. Not to be missed out on.

Send comments to Sinusoid (BETA) | Report this review (#299536) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010

Review by TheGazzardian
4 stars Sleepytime Gorilla Museum announced that they are calling it quits after they finish their current projects, an announcement that fills me with sadness as I just started getting into their music with this album and am already enjoying them immensely.

The music contained on this disc is a blend of weird song structures, odd vocals, industrial elements, heavy guitars, and avant-garde sounds. The band does vary in the music but in general these are the main ingredients that make the band intriguing.

Almost every song on this album is a gem, with only a couple of songs damaging the flow of what is an otherwise near-perfect album. The album starts with the violent, almost paranoid "Sleep is Wrong", which pretty much demonstrates everything there is to love about this album. The guitars and drums are noisy, the vocals far from standard, with great interplay between the male vocals (provided by Nils and Dan) and the otherworldly female vocals (provided by Carla). One of the "whoa" moments on this track is when Carla is slowly singing the "When, I, grow, up" while the male vocals sing the main chorus quicker behind her, before quite a nice climax.

Ambugaton displays the bands great instrumental prowess, and when it really starts rocking in the second half, it is difficult not to head bang along with the great rhythm and riff. This is definitely a song that sounds better the louder you play it.

Ablutions is one of the quieter tracks on the album and once again makes use of Carla's voice. In a way this reminds me of "Serialist Killer" from Yugen's 2010 release "Iridule", mostly because it is a song with somewhat of an edgy, crazy sound lead by odd female vocals. Beyond that of course the two are musically miles apart (ah, the joys of avant). I do like how this track demonstrates that the band is capable of more than just rocking out (and much better than later track Sunflower - more on that later).

My favorite track on this album is Powerless, which is once again in the lines of the heavier tracks, this one just manages to merge texture, atmosphere, rocking, and vocals in a way that always pumps me right up. After Ambugaton, I would describe it as the second most head-bang worthy track on the album.

As I stated, there are very few tracks on this album that I wouldn't describe as excellent or amazing, but the ones that I did like less really hurt the flow of this album. The worst part is there are only two! I imagine these tracks may be enjoyable to some, but for me, 1997 (Tonight We're Gonna Party Like It's) is a bit too generic compared to the other stuff the band is doing on the album, and I tend to stop paying attention when it starts playing.

But the real stinker is, unfortunately, Sunflower - which in itself is not so bad, and even has a distinct purpose on the album. It's pretty much an atmospheric instrumental track using Asian instruments - it sounds nothing like the rest of the album and has no vocals. In many ways it reminds me of Jade Warrior, even using the same tone to start each phrase that I recall Jade Warrior using in a few places in their album "Kites". The only thing is, it's so dang long, and not hugely interesting! It does nicely add contrast to the album so that, for the last few tracks, the heaviness still feels epic and heavy and you're not numb to it. But Sunflower is nearly 8 minutes long and I just don't find much in it to appreciate other than it's role in the album of providing contrast. If it were 2 minutes, it would be perfect.

Don't let these two tracks fool you though, for beyond them this album is a gem. It's too bad I seem to have discovered it a few years too late.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#428338) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
4 stars When this album was still new I was recommended it by Mr. Bungle fans who figured, if you like Bungle you will probably like this too. I did but I don't think it sounds too much like Bungle. SGM was formed by former members of metal band Idiot Flesh. The violin work and vocals of Carla Kihlstedt are an important component of the music. Her vocals contrast with the more angry, metal type male vocals. The band uses some home-made and custom-made instruments that make their music unique. The music itself is hard to describe but is generally a mix of experimental metal and avant-prog.

"Sleep Is Wrong" is the leadoff track and one of the better songs on the album. I like the gibberish chanting. There are parts where it sounds like different instruments were recorded at different speeds. Around 2:45 you hear voices that sound like they are broadcast on an old radio. Some snoring noises in the middle. Love the ending where everything gets more intense. "Ambugaton" is my favourite song here. Almost completely instrumental. The first half sounds like some kind of post-rock/chamber-rock hybrid. Nice violin. Almost Crimson sounding at times. Love the delayed guitar at the end.

Eerie harmonium dominates "Ablutions," which reminds me of Art Bears, particularly Carla's Dagmar-like delivery. Things get more dense with the addition of other sounds. In the middle gets loud with guitars and distorted bass along with male and female voices singing together. Carla counts numbers in a strange way as the instruments around her get very avant-garde. "1997" sounds more like Idiot Flesh. This song is almost a cross between the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Metallica. Very dated sounding now. Only after 3 minutes does it get more interesting and avant-rock-y.

Cool sounds at the beginning of "Powerless." Love the bass sound after a minute. Nice and catchy singing in this song. The music is fairly structureless until almost 3 minutes when it starts grooving on a riff. Just love the bass sound starting around 6 1/2 minutes. Crazy "la la" vocals at one point. More cool sounds at the end but completely different to the ones at the start. "Sleepytime" has the title repeated in a lullaby voice for awhile before some harmony vocals. The music is some kind of bizarre mix of a children's music box and archaic folk music. After 4 minutes the song changes to almost a waltz. Keeps changing till it gets more metal sounding with some guitar soloing. Interesting repeated lyrics near the end before some great melodic singing in a "lie, lie, lie" fashion.

"Sunflower" is the most avant-garde song but also the most boring. Good idea to put it at the end. SGM are known for their theatrical live shows. There is a mythology connected to the band's name and the title of this album. Heady stuff. I like the follow up just as much but don't enjoy the third album as much as the first two. Great modern avant-prog. 4 stars.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#435079) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM is one of those bands that I hadn't really expected on Prog Archives. Not that they shouldn't be here, but they owe a lot to bands like FOETUS, COP SHOOT COP and other punk/noise/industrial terrorists from the end 80's/early 90's and Prog isn't exactly the first thing that comes to my mind in that context. And of course I shouldn't forget to mention a certain MR. BUNGLE.

Especially the first track sounds like a tribute to FOETUS's noise-jazz-avant approach, it's nothing new under the sun but executed really well. Next on is "Ambugation", starting with a gentle jazzy piece before launching into a heavy continuation with odd-time punk-prog riffs that remind me of NOMEANSNO. With the atonal 'Ablutions' the band show their avant chops. The eerie female vocals and dissonant accompaniment compete with similar KAYO DOT moments. Wonderful piece. After the relative calm comes the storm. '1997' is another Foetus-meets-Metallica-meets-Red Hot Chili Peppers slab of noise-rock. SGM may not be very original here but they do this type of swinging over-the-top brutality really well.

On to the first of the two 10 minute epics. 'Powerless' is where SGM fully come into their own and allow us for a peek into their own deranged mindset; sometimes noisy, sometime industrial, this is also a very proggy track with a superbly entrancing and groovy mid-section. After the bass-heavy dissonance of "The Stain", "Sleepytime" offers a more subtle threat, one lurking underneath a seemingly innocent lullaby that gradually turns into a nightmare. The peaceful and beautiful avant piece "Sunflower" is a great choice for an album closer.

SGM may not be the most original act around but they hit all the right buttons for me with their mix of avant and heavy noise-rock, achieving a catchy rocking vibe that I often miss in real full-fledged Avant Guarde rock. Approach with care though, both the avant and the noise-rock angle will be not be easy to get into if you're used to more traditional melodic material. A near masterpiece for me.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#853377) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2012

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars To an old-school Progger like myself the mayhem of SGM resembles a Death Metal update of GENTLE GIANT, complete with tricky time signatures and eclectic instrumentation (some of it homemade, or so I'm told). The difference is mostly in the (much) louder volume, some occasional dodecaphony, and a lead singer who in his calmer moments sounds like Gothmog the Orc general ordering his troops into Gondor.

I'll admit I respond more to the quieter passages (yes, there are some here: parts of "Ambugaton"; most of "Ablutions"), but that's just my age and Symphonic Rock upbringing. The Zen-like album-closer "Sunflower" offers a surprising model of sonic restraint, and the ten-plus minute title track presents an eerie lullaby for brain-scarred insomniacs, at least until Nils Frykdahl starts into his William Peter Blatty act (imagine Linda Blair in full pea-soup mode, wielding a microphone instead of a crucifix).

It's a difficult album to recommend, especially on a website where fully half of the top ten rated albums are currently by GENESIS and PINK FLOYD. The more refined side of my Proghead self is having a little difficulty awarding it more than three respectable stars, but my Avant Rock doppelgänger wants to unleash the opening onslaught of "Sleep is Bad" at a volume loud enough to disturb the neighbors the next time they fire up the snowblower at four in the morning. Bad? You'll find out sleep is damn near impossible, with noise like this...

Regardless of taste, we should all be grateful bands like SGM exist, if only to challenge a generation of listeners growing up in a world of stale cookie-cutter entertainment. So here it is, kids: your own stick of musical TNT, to help blow a hole in those cultural doldrums.

[ A quick postscript. My secondhand copy of the album has an overloaded, distorted sound which may or may not reflect the output of a pristine CD, but it's certainly appropriate. This is truly Rock in Opposition, sometimes to your actual sanity. ]

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#890653) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013

2 stars Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening And Closing This debut from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, while sometimes good, merely hints at the awesomeness that would be mastered and fully realized on the follow up "Of Natural History". On this album, the listener is treated with mostly bland songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#171420) | Posted by Figglesnout | Sunday, May 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars EDIT (1/3/10): Score lowered to 4 stars, some amorocity has died off. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is in my opinion one of the best new bands in prog and music in general. They push the boundaries just like Magma, Frank Zappa, and King Crimson. That I have dropped the names of those three bands ... (read more)

Report this review (#164242) | Posted by DJPuffyLemon | Tuesday, March 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Rating: B+ None of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's members were really new to avant-garde music when Sleepytime Gorilla Museum released their debut (notably, several were in the band Idiot Flesh). This really shows in their debut, as it is startlingly mature for a debut album. It's a little rough ... (read more)

Report this review (#163975) | Posted by Pnoom! | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Listening to Grand Opening And Closing is akin to walking through the Elephant Man exhibit at a carnival. This twisted collection of dirty, dark monstrosities assaults you with the kind of off-the-wall sound you may expect from an album featuring "thing", "food containers", and "popping turtle" ... (read more)

Report this review (#133096) | Posted by Equality 7-2521 | Tuesday, August 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Avant-Folk-Prog-Metal from Hell. SGM's rather enigmatic nature make it hard to understand anythying about this album, let alone the band as a whole. My first impressions, based on the cover were something along the lines of "What on earth is this?" While some bands are hard to label as a defi ... (read more)

Report this review (#132088) | Posted by Drakk | Monday, August 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is altogether silly, revolting, offensive, over-the-top, and yet, a wonderful debut album by one of the strangest bands in recent times. Hearing this band, you may question how this is in anyway related to Frank Zappa, the most esteemed musician in this subgenre (and misplaced, if you ask me) ... (read more)

Report this review (#118737) | Posted by Shakespeare | Tuesday, April 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Grand Opening and Closing is the awesome debut album of the RIO/Avant-prog band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. The album sounds in general really loud and deep. Anguished is the music. SGM mix different instruments in an inventive way. Their rhythms changes, guitar riffs and vocals a ... (read more)

Report this review (#111631) | Posted by guitar_ode | Sunday, February 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars this is a really nice album, like mentiones before you dont know really what to expect, not just between the songs but with in the song it self. Most of the songs follow a Metal based organization wich is followed by a series of Mr. Bungleesque guitar riffs. Ambugaton strats of with a really s ... (read more)

Report this review (#86665) | Posted by Doobie | Friday, August 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The record opens with a minute that sound like instruments tuning and some vocal excercises, but then enter the drums & bass which lay a synchopated groove, a guitar solo comes in a counterpoint, you are getting ready to listen to an excellent Crimson clone, but something tells you that it'll ... (read more)

Report this review (#74929) | Posted by vogre | Friday, April 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM "Grand Opening And Closing"