Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening And Closing CD (album) cover

GRAND OPENING AND CLOSING

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

RIO/Avant-Prog

Sinusoid
4 stars My mind has been perverted, and I'm loving it.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are the most demented band I've ever come across. They're a strange hybird of metal (various forms), avant-garde, ambient and others into a strange thing that can only be described as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They're over-the-top in the vocal department almost to the point of sounding disgusting (sometimes Carla's voice cracks, and that's not good). That aside, their songwriting is actually quite impeccable.

Other than the plink-planking that lasts too long in ''Sunflower'' and the filler track ''The Stain'', every track is a hidden gem. From the Genesis-meets-Faith No More-meets Tim Burton opener in ''Sleep Is Wrong'' to the party-death metal of ''1997'' to the prog metal/RIO instrumental workout ''Ambugaton'', we have a hodge-podge of highlights of sick, twisted, theatrical prog. ''Ablutions'' is an insanely twisted mental problem under the guise of a quaint ballad.

Two epic-esque pieces highlight the album in tremendous fashion. ''Powerless'' is notable for its synth like sounds and the start-stop verses that sometimes go into screaming and noise guitar. But we're all waiting for the big ''Sleepytime'' track, a track that I interpret as someone slowly descending into madness. It starts off innocently enough with a more folksy setting before adding some electric guitars. The way the vocals get more and more passionate with each passing stanza adds to the intensity and really his me in a weak spot every time.

I usually don't consider bonus tracks, ''Flinch'' and ''More Time'' are both interesting enough to make me think, ''I wonder why these weren't included on the original...'' But I'll let minor complaints go knowing that this is one of the most unique takes on prog rock I've heard, even if SGM overdoes it. Not to be missed out on.

Sinusoid | 4/5 |