Kayak - Close To The Fire  CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE FIRE

Kayak

friso
4 stars Kayak - Close to the Fire (2000)

Kayak back on the track! This album was one of the last Kayakalbums I found. At first listen I didn't really like it, so it took some time before I listened to it again.

Nowadays my opinion shifted to a very positive one. This is an underrated record! First, the production is very good for an album of the 21th century. The old Kayak sound was put aside (not lost!) and a new symphonic sound came in return. And it works really fine. The return of Max Werner is one of main things that makes this album so good. I think of him as one of the best progsinger ever! The guitars are gentle but there when needed. The drums are important on this album. Drummer/songwriter Pim Koopmans did some new effects on this album, wich is good.

A few highlights I want to discuss with you. The frozen flame is simply one of my alltime favourite songs! It's so bombastic and emotional. I would like to hear it (if possible) on my burial. Just get this song!

Two wrongs is a song not typical for this album. It's starts of like a classic rock'nroll song, but later on it proves to be a real oldschool Kayak composition. I really enjoy it!

Full Circle is an experimental song for Kayak. The celtic sounds combined with the electric distorted sound from the syntisizers give a nice vibe, a good ending for the album.

Some other songs aren't very special, but all songs are good enough for the album. Now there is a final discision to be made.... Four stars! A great comeback of Kayak and the last recording with Max Werner as well. No other album Kayak made sounds like this album. It's a special Kayak release.

friso | 4/5 |