Steely Dan - Then And Now - The Best of Steely Dan CD (album) cover

THEN AND NOW - THE BEST OF STEELY DAN

Steely Dan

Matti
4 stars I never argue about the addition of a band even if I never thought of it as Prog (or Prog Related), at least as long as the band in question is enjoyed by me. Quite the contrary: I'd welcome dozens of innovative pop musicians into PA! Anyway, STEELY DAN seems to have a very strong respect - a notable classic status - among the self-respective listeners.

To me STEELY DAN has always been, and still is, best approached by 'The Best Of' -mentality instead of collecting several albums.This compilation with the hilarious Car-Stonehenge cover picture is a fine overview of this jazz-flavoured pop band. These 16 tracks are more or less their best known songs but for once I can say those are the very ones I like the best. 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number', 'Hey Nineteen', Babylon Sisters', 'Kid Charlemagne' and other hits never lose their power. It's music with a groove that makes you feel happy. There are also some tracks that aren't in my favourite list, but all in all one couldn't have a better introduction to STEELY DAN.

Matti | 4/5 |