Mogwai - Come on Die Young CD (album) cover

COME ON DIE YOUNG

Mogwai

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Come on Die Young is the second studio album from Scottish experimental/ post rock act Mogwai. Itīs safe to say that I wasnīt too impressed with Mogwaiīs debut album Young Team. Itīs not that itīs a bad album and I did rate it 3 stars, but it doesnīt touch me or move me the way itīs probably supposed to and most of the time I find it rather dull. Iīm afraid the same can be said about Come on Die Young.

The style hasnīt changed much since the debut even though Come on Die Young is a bit more restrained and the noisy eruptions are very few ( listen to Christmas Steps). Itīs actually a pretty mellow album. I am very happy about the way the album starts as Punk Rock and the only vocal track on the album called Cody are very good songs, but soon the minimalistic riffs and repetitive structures of the songs do me in. This is not music that I can sit and listen to for details and analysis, but more a background album for relaxation. I know this all sounds very negative, but there are times when this album is just the right medicine.

The musicianship is good and Iīm glad to hear that guitarist Stuart Braithwaite is also a capable singer.

The production is minimalistic and earthy, and personally I miss a grander sound.

Come on Die Young is a good album but lacks the variation and compositional sophistication to become excellent. 3 SMALL stars is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |