COME ON DIE YOUNG

Buy MOGWAI Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. Punk Rock (2:08)
2. Cody (6:33)
3. Helps Both Ways (4:53)
4. Year 2000 Non-Compliant Cardia (3:25)
5. Kappa (4:52)
6. Waltz for Aidan (3:44)
7. May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door (8:29)
8. Oh! How the Dogs Stack Up (2:03)
9. Ex-Cowboy (9:09)
10. Chocky (9:23)
11. Christmas Steps (10:39)
12. Punk Rock/Puff Daddy/An Chris (2:14)

Search MOGWAI Come on Die Young lyrics

Search MOGWAI Come on Die Young tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitars, keyboards & percussion
- John Cummings / guitars & piano
- Dominic Aitchison / bass & guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums
- Barry Burns / flute, guitar & keyboards

CD Matador Records (1999)

Thanks to silentman for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI Come on Die Young Music

Come on Die YoungCome on Die Young
Chemikal Underground 2014
Rave Tapes (LP+MP3)Rave Tapes (LP+MP3)
Sub Pop 2014
Vinyl$14.86
Happy Songs for Happy PeopleHappy Songs for Happy People
Play It Again Sam UK 2003
Young TeamYoung Team
Chemikal Underground 2008
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will (2xLP)Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will (2xLP)
Sub Pop 2011
Vinyl$8.18
The Hawk Is HowlingThe Hawk Is Howling
Limited Edition
Matador Records 2008
MOGWAI Zidane 21st Century Portrait OST Soundtrack Double Vinyl LP NEW US $31.54 Buy It Now 2h 5m
MOGWAI Zidane: A 21st Century Portait CD NEW US $11.57 Buy It Now 2h 8m
MOGWAI Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Rare 2011 Japan CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
MOGWAI friend of the night European promo CD single US $1.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI**HAWK IS HOWLING**CD US $14.91 Buy It Now 5h 40m
MOGWAI "Earth Division EP" EP - Plus MP3 Download Code - SEALED! US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
MOGWAI THE HAWK IS HOWLING 2 LP USA Matador 180 gram RTI US $59.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will 2 LP 2011 US $19.90 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People NEW CD US $10.74 Buy It Now 8h 11m
MOGWAI**RAVE TAPES**CD US $15.50 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Mogwai "Kicking A Dead Pig/ Fear Satan Remixes" 1998 Jetset Used 2 x CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Wrenched Virile Lore - Mogwai US $11.03 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Godspeed You Black Emperor F#A# Infinity mogwai pelican explosions in the sky US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 31m
Earth Legacy Of Dissolution 2x Vinyl LP Record! sunn 0 mogwai jim o rourke! NEW! US $49.99 Buy It Now 11h 47m
Mogwai-Hardcore Will Never Die 2CD set (This CD Only) US $4.49 [0 bids]
4 Satin [Jetset] [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Aug-1998, Jet Set Records US $2.50 [0 bids]
Mr. Beast CD and DVD by Mogwai (Mar-2006, Matador (record label) 2 Disc Set) US $2.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai, A Wrenched Virile Lore, Limited Color Vinyl, Nov-2012, Sub Pop, RSD US $27.99 Buy It Now 17h
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY PRINCE AVALANCHE SOUNDTRACK RED VINYL LP Eluvium Mogwai US $39.99 Buy It Now 17h 44m
MOGWAI Rave Tapes CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $16.56 Buy It Now 21h 7m
MOGWAI - Kicking a Dead Pig: Mogwai Songs Remix 2CD NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 23h 17m
MOGWAI - HAWK IS HOWLING (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack NEW LP US $24.27 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI "Rock Action" LP + Poster Thick Wax UK US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
V/A Moloko,Aphex twin,Obi,Prodigy,Orb,Feeder,Mogwai BRMC 5 x CD Promo US $9.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Mono "You Are There 2xLP '06 Caspian Mogwai Yndi Halda This Will Destroy You EF US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Ten Rapid(Collected Recordings 1996-97) [CD New] US $11.92 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - Ten Rapid (CD 2004) US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI-EARTH DIVISION EP-JAPAN CD LTD C75 US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
BARDO POND VOL 3 CD. RARE LIMITED EDITION. 2002. JAMS & HOME RECORDINGS. MOGWAI. US $1.65 [1 bids]
MOGWAI-KICKING A DEAD PIG-JAPAN 2 CD D95 zd US $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI YOUNG TEAM ZIP HOODIE SWEATSHIRT s,m,l,xl,xxl UNISEX DIFFERENT COLOURS US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI YOUNG TEAM HOODIE SWEATSHIRT s,m,l,xl,xxl UNISEX DIFFERENT COLOURS US $38.29 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI Come on Die Young ratings distribution

MOGWAI Come on Die Young reviews

Review by The T
2 stars When I bought this album, I did it because I wanted to explore that most unknown of genres (to me) that was post-rock. I didn't own any cd by any of the bands listed here as post-rock so I chose to buy a few from the most well-rated groups I could find in the archives. That's how I end with Godspeed you Black Emperor, Sigur Ros and Mogwai in my hands. Now, with GYBE and SR I found what I was looking for, but with Mogwai I just couldn't find anywhere their best rated album, so I had to purchase this one. So, what can I say about my first post-rock experience?

I still haven't had one.

Or that I think after listening to this album. For, if THIS is how all post-rock sounds like, I'm in for a dissapointment. So I choose to trust that this was just an unlucky bad purchase. I keep on believing that all the praise for GYBE and SR is deserved. With mogwai, on the other hand, I think I just made a mistake. A mistake because I should have waited and get another one of their releases online, instead of rushing and buying this pretty boring record which could be giving post-rock a bad name.

The problem is not that the music is bad, for it isn't. The problem is that the music is too repetitive, too low-note, too low-volume, always the SAME. What you get with CODY is a colection of some of the most depressed music you'll ever hear... I mean, I've heard Radiohead's OK Computer a few days before, and that album felt like A JOYOUS FESTIVAL after having listened to this suicide-attempt of a record (come on, the name of the album is COME ON DIE YOUNG...). What you get with CODY is clean guitars played with little distorsion and in arpeggios and broken chords almost all the time, and ALL OF THE TIME with the utmost delicacy, as if the guitar player was afraid to break a string during the recording sessions; you get every other instrument in the same vein as the guitar: low volume (the drums are barely hearable all the way till the next-to-last song), and most of time is all instrumental. Proper singing you only get in "Cody", and like everything else in this record, done after having ingested plenty of tranquilizers. There's a little piano here and there, but never something that will get you interested in the music. This is just MOOD music, and the saddest mood at that. There's hardly any dynamics and tempo changes going on, and THAT's the major problem: some of the songs are actually decent, but when you are subjected to track after track after track of THE SAME TEMPO WITH THE SAME INTENSITY (I would say it's 60 bpm played molto pianissimo), it all gets boring, tiresome, not interesting at all.

The tracks? It's really quite a task having to remember any of them after just two listens, or after four, or after ten, because most of them are too SIMILAR. But I'll point out as the highlights (the word "high" sounds a little off-topic when talking about this from-the-gutter music) the first proper song (CODY) and, without a doubt the best and actually a pretty good number, Christmas Steps, which has (miracle!!) some intensity dynamics going on (there's actually a crescendo in the track), some cymbals (incredible) and some loud guitars (just impossible to believe). And maybe, just MAYBE, if you listen one track now, one song then, one song one day, one track another day, most of them would seem OK; the problem is hearing the whole thing IN ONE LISTEN. It's just difficult. It's just boring.

This is depressive music. This is sedated music. This sounds like a band of decent musicians getting high (I'd say getting LOW) on something and then pluggin' in the instruments to record an album. This would be so MUCH BETTER with just two or three tracks in a different tempo... Yes, I'm not asking for happy music! I'm just asking for music THAT DOESN"T SOUND THE SAME SPEED ALL THE TIME!!

Recommended for: people, like me, who like to get as many prog-albums as possible; prog lovers with a thing for depressing music; post-rock ultra-fans.

Not recommended for: Fans of really good albums, really good music; prog-lovers that still don't know post-rock: beware! This is not the best entrance into that genre!... But most of all, not recommended for people in the midst of a depression: after this, you may start looking for a bridge from where to jump...

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#103300) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 16, 2006

Review by Prog-jester
3 stars First Collad review! ;)

I failed to love MOGWAI that much as I adore GODSPEEDS and MONO. Some tracks are nice (especially on that one - “Christmas Steps”, “Chocky”, “Ex-Cowboy”…all are hidden at the end), but most of the time they just keep me cold. I see their drone roots (some tunes almost PELICANish!), I enjoy their simple 2-3 notes based riffs and structures, I even can endure these noises Post-Rock has always been proud with, but it feels like the band will never jump over their own heads. Even “Happy Songs…” is not an exception, and I gave it 4 stars only because of its concise form and rather high percent of good tunes’ concentration. So, this is “like-it/hate-it” kind of an album: if you like the genre it’s a good record, but you can give it a miss without hurting your musical experience. I like Post-Rock, but every time it comes to MOGWAI, I simply feel bored. 2,5 stars.

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#123237) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 24, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars Come on Die Young is the second studio album from Scottish experimental/ post rock act Mogwai. Itīs safe to say that I wasnīt too impressed with Mogwaiīs debut album Young Team. Itīs not that itīs a bad album and I did rate it 3 stars, but it doesnīt touch me or move me the way itīs probably supposed to and most of the time I find it rather dull. Iīm afraid the same can be said about Come on Die Young.

The style hasnīt changed much since the debut even though Come on Die Young is a bit more restrained and the noisy eruptions are very few ( listen to Christmas Steps). Itīs actually a pretty mellow album. I am very happy about the way the album starts as Punk Rock and the only vocal track on the album called Cody are very good songs, but soon the minimalistic riffs and repetitive structures of the songs do me in. This is not music that I can sit and listen to for details and analysis, but more a background album for relaxation. I know this all sounds very negative, but there are times when this album is just the right medicine.

The musicianship is good and Iīm glad to hear that guitarist Stuart Braithwaite is also a capable singer.

The production is minimalistic and earthy, and personally I miss a grander sound.

Come on Die Young is a good album but lacks the variation and compositional sophistication to become excellent. 3 SMALL stars is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#194635) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, December 22, 2008

Review by Prog Leviathan
1 stars Sometimes instrumental post-rock albums can really challenge the listener with unconventional sounds and nuanced songwriting. "Come on Die Young" is not one them.

As soon as the intriguing introduction "Punk Rock" fades away, a bland, repetative exercise in pointless guitar strumming and rhythmic minimalism aimlessly roams. Fans of the post-rock genre are used to this, at least to some degree, but for many groups this sort of subtle noodling acts as the calm before the storm... on this release, it's the name of the game, and it isn't even done that well. All the songs are very similar, very sedated, and very bland. The listener will be hard-pressed to remember anything specific about these songs, since they all feel as if they're simply there, filling airy space which could be filled with something more interesting.

Many other post-rock bands do what Mogwai is doing here much better, and "Come on Die Young" should be overlooked by all but the most dedicated fans of the genre.

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 1 Lyrics/Vocals: NA Style/Emotion/Replay: 1

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#250063) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Review by EatThatPhonebook
3 stars 5/10

"Come On Die Young" isn't a disaster, but it's a disappointment nevertheless.

After the successful and praised "Young Team", Mogwai had still a lot to prove, but from there on they never reached the same levels as the debut. "Come On Die Young" is the follow up, and I have to say it is the least enjoyable Mogwai album I've heard so far.

First off, the band decided to go towards a less eclectic sound and chose to concentrate exclusively on the guitars and give more vocals, possibly to sound a little more accessible. The walls of distortion we heard on the debut are here much less, popping out only in the end of the album, and as a result the music is really mellow, soft, and with slow rhythms, without any build up. The samples are still here, but, except for the Iggy Pop discussion in the intro of the album, they just don't do anything for me. Because of the monotone tone this LP has, I am challenged to call this Post-Rock, while Slowcore sounds more fit to it, because of its minimalism.

This, however, is not a complete disaster of an album: some of these slow moments are good, like "Year 2000 Non Compliant Cardia", the longer "May Nothing But Happiness Come Through Your Door". The last three songs (without counting the outro) are the only ones with a distinct climax, and it might sound relieving for some, but to me, they don't feel as powerful as they use to be with the debut.

"Come On Die Young", despite not being a disaster, is a pretty disappointing album. This album is also the first sign of the Mogwai syndrome: every album they'll make from there on will be compared to "Young Team" and snobbed because it doesn't go near it. It is still a surprise to me though that this band is possibly one of the most popular Post-Rock bands.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#563886) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 07, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars Personally, I think Come On Die Young gets a raw deal. The secret for getting maximum appreciation out of it is to release that the album represents Mogwai's flirtation with ambient, taking their post-rock sound closer to the ambient, minimalistic territory explored by Brian Eno decades earlier than it had ever been. The end result is a subdued, tranquil, semi-sedated album which might not have those noisy crescendos post-rock fans expect from Mogwai, but represents an intriguingly different sound for them. I might not need more than one album from Mogwai in this vein, but I am profoundly glad they attempted the experiment and I think the results are more interesting than they are often given credit for.

And you've got to love the Iggy Pop monologue it kicks off with.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#635671) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 18, 2012

3 stars Interesting album!!! Before I purchased this album I had no post-rock in my collection and this album introduced me to this genre. In my search for new musical proposals I decided to explore this kind of music. So, once when I went to my CD store I ask myself: Mogwai, why not? I bought this a ... (read more)

Report this review (#136125) | Posted by razifa | Tuesday, September 04, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Having recently enjoyed the "Government Commissions" CD, I decided to take a listen to CODY for the first time in ages. Bearing in mind I used to love this album back in the day and found it immensly influential on my understanding of what contemporary indie-rock with a progressive slant could ... (read more)

Report this review (#53581) | Posted by | Thursday, October 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This album can really be summed up in one word: Boring. There's really not a whole lot going on here as far as diversity in sound or, well anything for that matter. This is nothing like Mogwai's later releases. Their other material surpasses this by leaps and bounds in just bout every aspect o ... (read more)

Report this review (#39236) | Posted by Spanky | Tuesday, July 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars MOGWAI's slowest and most depressing album, but I mean that in a good way! Without a doubt, this thing is moody. It's MOGWAI's second release, and I heard it described once as "music to commit suicide by." Well, maybe so, and the song "Cody" - an angram of "Come On Die Young" - reads like ... (read more)

Report this review (#35036) | Posted by BrainRock Ben | Saturday, May 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOGWAI "Come on Die Young"