Anthony Phillips - Field Day CD (album) cover

FIELD DAY

Anthony Phillips

lazland
4 stars This is a fantastic album, a real treat.

As with a previous reviewer, I have owned Phillips' Anthology for some time now, and still get a great deal of pleasure from listening to it. I promised myself that I would buy more of his solo output, but didn't get around to it until browsing Amazon the other day, saw thety had a selection, and got this album on the strength of Prog Archives reviews.

It was well worth it. Phillips has produced an album of exceptional acoustic guitar music, interspersed with keyboards on certain tracks.

At 61 songs, it would be impossible to review each track, but it is noticeable immediately how Phillips is able to make his instrument sing and tell a story. For example, you can see the spider on White Spider, you feel that Concerto De Alvarez is a serious whole piece, and the extended Parlour Suite piece puts you in the parlour with other guests.

This album will not appeal to those who only like heavy prog. For those who appreciate the classical influences, and also appreciate one man's virtuosity, this is a must buy. Never has guitar music sounded as rich as this.

It will not be so long before I purchase another.

lazland | 4/5 |