FIELD DAY

2. High Fives (1:54)
3. Credo (1:55)
4. Cerise (1:19)
5. Runaway Horse (2:32)
6. Home Sweet Home (0:45)
7. Steps Retraced (4:11)
8. Field Day (1:44)
9. Nocturne (3:47)
10. Tryst (4:25)
11. Girl In The Gallery (1:05)
12. Bel Ami (2:04)
13. Concerto de Alvarez (8:27)
14. Lifer (3:16)
15. Chasing The Light (1:40)
16. Parlour Suite I (1:39)
17. Parlour Suite II (1:01)
18. Parlout Suite III (1:07)
19. Parlour Suite IV (0:56)
20. Parlous Suite V (1:48)
21. Parlour Suite VI (1:36)
22. Parlous Suite VII (0:46)
23. Parlour Suite VIII (1:48)
24. Swoon (0:55)
25. River Of Life (3:05)
26. Momento (0:48)
27. Open Road (1:05)
28. White Spider (6:38)
29. Half Way Out (1:01)

Disc 2 (64:02)
1. Weeping willow (5:50)
2. The love not shared (0:52)
3. Sojourn (2:47)
4. Dawn over the field of eternity (1:23)
5. Fallen city (4:50)
6. Rain on Sag Harbour (1:38)
7. Days of grace (2:35)
8. Timeline (0:37)
9. Oubliette (3:33)
10. Tania (2:57)
11. Babbling brook (0:55)
12. Shimmering Sharon (0:30)
13. Tea Room in Terra Del Fuego (1:11)
14. Mudlark (1:41)
15. Tearaway (1:25)
16. Midnight blue (0:41)
17. Evening shroud (1:14)
18. Rapscallion (0:45)
19. Beyond the castle walls (1:09)
20. Forgotten pathway (2:16)
21. Fairy ring (0:44)
22. Largo d'amour (3:17)
23. Whippersnapper (1:21)
24. Kissing gate (1:54)
25. To the lighthouse (8:10)
26. Driftwood (0:27)
27. Festoons and billows (0:58)
28. Flotsam and jetsam (0:51)
29. Sunfish shallows (1:15)
30. Smart Alec (1:43)
31. Prayer for Natalie (2:11)
32. Out and beyond (2:22)

Search ANTHONY PHILLIPS Field Day lyrics

Search ANTHONY PHILLIPS Field Day tabs

- Anthony Phillips / 6, 10 & 12-string acustic guitars, Parlour guitar, cittern, bazouki, charanga.

CD Blueprint Records BP362CD (2005)

Thanks to zappiz for the addition
and to Tuzvihar for the last updates

ANTHONY PHILLIPS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS Field Day Music

Field DayField Day
Blueprint UK 2005

More places to buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS music online Buy ANTHONY PHILLIPS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANTHONY PHILLIPS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANTHONY PHILLIPS Field Day ratings distribution

ANTHONY PHILLIPS Field Day reviews

Review by lazland
4 stars This is a fantastic album, a real treat.

As with a previous reviewer, I have owned Phillips' Anthology for some time now, and still get a great deal of pleasure from listening to it. I promised myself that I would buy more of his solo output, but didn't get around to it until browsing Amazon the other day, saw thety had a selection, and got this album on the strength of Prog Archives reviews.

It was well worth it. Phillips has produced an album of exceptional acoustic guitar music, interspersed with keyboards on certain tracks.

At 61 songs, it would be impossible to review each track, but it is noticeable immediately how Phillips is able to make his instrument sing and tell a story. For example, you can see the spider on White Spider, you feel that Concerto De Alvarez is a serious whole piece, and the extended Parlour Suite piece puts you in the parlour with other guests.

This album will not appeal to those who only like heavy prog. For those who appreciate the classical influences, and also appreciate one man's virtuosity, this is a must buy. Never has guitar music sounded as rich as this.

It will not be so long before I purchase another.

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team
4 stars I am not sure how truly progressive this album is because it consists of 32 solo acoustic guitar pieces, however, I can not exaggerate enough on what a treat and gift it is to have this collection of instrumental ditties and fully worked out acoustic guitar songs from one of the masters of off-beat and unexpected melody of our time. It is also particularly enjoyable to follow the track list while matching each song with Ant's list of guitars from his rather extensive collection. While many if not all of the 32 songs here achieve the elevated status of 'beautiful,' the four opening and closing songs and the 12-string pieces definitely haunt me. So many others are worthy of special mention but I won't; just get the album and pick out your own favorites--there are sure to be a dozen or more. Of all of Ant's albums, this one rates near the top--only behind "The Geese and the Ghost" and "Back to the Pavilion" along side all of the Private Parts and Pieces and "1984."

Review by Warthur
3 stars Field Day is a massive collection of acoustic guitar pieces from Anthony Phillips. If you've heard the fifth album in his Private Parts and Pieces series, Twelve, you already have some idea of what to expect here: classical guitar which meanders between the tranquil and the new agey and more complex passages reminiscent of Phillips' proggier work. Taking over two decades to record and assemble due to the compositional structure of the album bloating as the project progressed, it's an impressive achievement, though at the same time one to be approached with caution; it's long enough that it's a challenge to sit through the entire thing, especially considering that it isn't enormously varied despite the occasional other bit of instrumentation creeping in here and there, but at the same time it's structured such that the individual tracks don't really pass muster unless taken as part of the whole.

In short, it's worth a listen, but only if you're already a dedicated Phillips follower; those new to his work would be best advised to start with something which is a bit more varied and requires a bit less investment of time to get into, like The Geese and the Ghost or the first Private Parts and Pieces album.

Review by admireArt
COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team
4 stars A highly prolific composer/performer, that more than once comes up with huge albums filled with lots of songs. It is a tough pace to follow, and as many prolific composers, not always all what they produce are exactly "gems", (in fact his 2012, "Seventh Heaven" album, was quiet dissapointing, IMO). Anyway, following the PA ratings on this "Field Day" project, I, do have to agree,that this is close enough to be one of his best albums. The Anthony Phillips, renaissance (the Art-period, not the prog-band) guitar flavor permeates most of the record, there are a few "bridges" ,with added instruments that sound a bit like his "early-Genesis" days , but this is basically an all-acoustic guitar, all A.P., project. What marks the difference mainly, from other of his albums, is the fact, that there are no unnecessary fillers, everything is worth its time to listen to, and even in his very personal approach, there are new proposals in his way of song-writing... One thing that should be interesting to "new-comers", is that no matter what kind of song Anthony Phillips plays, even the "sad" ones, almost always have a hopeful and "happy" after-taste. Which of course, is kind of "dangerous" considering the very thin line, from "corny", to beautiful. This work stays far away from the "corn" and is much closer to intelligent, well constructed songs, with splashes, in moderation, of "sweetness", but in perfectly balanced quantity of creativity. Therefore, I do agree with the ratings on this one, this is one of his best efforts, very accomplished and tastefully performed.

****4, perfectly deserved, PA stars.

5 stars Well now isn't this most pleasant! If one has a taste for the acoustic guitar work that Mr. Phillips made famous, after a fashion, on Private Parts & Pieces V: Twelve, and many other albums throughout his wondrous career, then one simply must own this collection. It contains nothing but acoust ... (read more)

Report this review (#751493) | Posted by Lord Anon | Thursday, May 10, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars It's fascinating to see other reviewer's opinions on this album. You would expect, from all the gushing praise, that this must be some sort of bypassed 'Selling England By the Pound' or other offering of that ilk. It's not however. I'm a massive Genesis fan, and similarly a fan of all those a ... (read more)

Report this review (#275405) | Posted by DC | Monday, March 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9.3/10 Incredible Field Day is fantastic. Don'e expect anything too goosebump worthy, though. This is a different kind of fantastic than what we usually expect from music like this. Field Day is entirely composed of guitar works, with only maybe some sleight aura sounds coming in somethin ... (read more)

Report this review (#144346) | Posted by The Lost Chord | Saturday, October 13, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars OK! Another great piece of music by one of the most underrated, yet awsome artists. I'm talking about Mr.Phillips, of course. I've only got two of his records (The Geese & the Ghost, being the other one), and they're both amazing! I had to try hard to get them. I found TG&TG by lucky chance la ... (read more)

Report this review (#92648) | Posted by N-man | Friday, September 29, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars And where did this come from???? Thirty years into his solo career ANT PHILLIPS comes up with one of his very best albums ever. He's on the opposite trajectory of his former band Genesis. As they continued to get unabshedly worse, Ant got better and better. Field Day is a delightful double alb ... (read more)

Report this review (#84271) | Posted by Mcgraster | Thursday, July 20, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I love this CD. I love it! I am an Anthony Phillips fan, but most of his music that I own is from the 1970's and early 80's. So, I'm sitting in my little cubical at work and this really cool chick who works one over from me starts playing this CD. Sometimes we discuss music. Some of our tastes ... (read more)

Report this review (#72492) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What an amazing release!!! On Field Day, Phillips delivers a "sampler platter" of his finest offerings. If you've been to very fine and expensive restaurants, you know that sometimes the chef will send out a tasty treat "on the house" and with his compliments. Well, Mr. Phillips sends out 61 s ... (read more)

Report this review (#72060) | Posted by | Thursday, March 16, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The new double CD of acoustic pieces is an aural treat for not only Anthony Phillips fans but also lovers of romantic/impressionistic music in general. Once again, Mr. Phillips has shown his willingness to maintain his integrity and perform the sort of heartfelt music that he does best and wit ... (read more)

Report this review (#71421) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Finally a fat collection of guitar songs by the original guitarist of GENESIS. He tried to do this earlier in his career with the album TWELVE, but I'm afraid that one fell a bit short of the mark. This one has it all. 128 minutes of the finest playing you are going to hear for a long time. Mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#71340) | Posted by | Tuesday, March 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANTHONY PHILLIPS "Field Day"