Brian Eno - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) CD (album) cover

MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS (WITH DAVID BYRNE)

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

nmccrina
4 stars I bought this a couple of days ago, and have given it a couple spins. As a bit of background, I have heard two other Eno albums (Another Green World and Apollo), as well as most of the Talking Heads discography. This album is almost exactly halfway between Eno's work and Byrne's. Also, it reminded me a lot of Trevor Horn's Art of Noise project, though the sampling here is analog, while Horn's was digital.

The songs on the album, though of course highly experimental with lots of random sound loops and weird percussive noises, are nevertheless very catchy. It never really degenerates into Revolution 9-like craziness. The songs are short, with strong beats and lots of awesome bass lines. My favorite track is Regiment, which is very funk inspired, even danceable.

Overall, this is a solid 4 star work by Eno and Byrne. The music is worth 5 stars, but it isn't an essential prog album on the level of Close to the Edge or Brain Salad Surgery. Highly recommended to Eno fans, Talking Heads fans, or people looking for something a bit off the beaten path (that's all of us, right?).

nmccrina | 4/5 |