MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS (WITH DAVID BYRNE)

Brian Eno

18 Solo Guitar With Tin Foil 2:58
Video Mea Culpa

Search BRIAN ENO My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) lyrics

Search BRIAN ENO My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) tabs

Brian Eno & David Byrne / guitars, basses, synthesizers, drums, percussion and "found objects"

Guest musicians:
- John Cooksey / drums (4)
- Chris Frantz / drums, additional arranging (3)
- Robert Fripp / additional arranging (3)
- Busta Jones / bass, additional writing and arranging (3)
- Dennis Keeley / Bodhran (2)
- Bill Laswell / bass and additional arranging (1)
- Mingo Lewis / Bata, sticks (5, 8)
- Prairie Prince / can, bass drum (5, 8)
- Jose Rossy / congas, agong-gong (7)
- Steve Scales / congas, metals (4)
- David van Tieghem / drums, percussion (1, 3), additional arranging (1)
- Tim Wright / click bass (1)

LP : Sire Records Company SRK 6093 (US/Canada) /Cassette M5S 6093(US) , LP: EG Records 2311 060 (Italy), Polydor 2311 060 (Italy/Spain),Polydor 2302 100 (Netherlands/France/Germany/Sweden),

On almost all later releases "Qu'Ran" is changed to "Very,Very Hungry".

LP: E'G Records EGLP 48 (UK,1981) ,Virgin Schallplatten GmbH 207 963-620 (Germany,1981), Nonesuch 79894-1 (US,2009, 2 x LP, bonuses)

CD: E'G Records EGCD 48 (UK ,1987), EGCD 48, 0777 7 86473 2 4 (UK & Europe ),Sire Records Company 9 45374-2 (US,1993), Virgin 0946 331341 2 6, BEDBX 1, 0946 3 31341 2 6 (UK & Europe,2006, bonuses+video)

CD: Sire Records Company 6093-2 (US/Canada,1989),Warner Music (Japan) WPCR-1182 (Japan) (incl. both Qu'Ran and Very,Very Happy)

Thanks to FloydWright for the addition
and to snobb for the last updates

BRIAN ENO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRIAN ENO My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) Music

Apollo: Atmosphere & SoundtracksApollo: Atmosphere & Soundtracks
Astralwerks 2005
Taking Tiger Mountain By StrategyTaking Tiger Mountain By Strategy
Astralwerks 2004
BRIAN ENO another day on earth JAPAN CD rare sealed + promo postcards US $79.99 Buy It Now 51m 4s
Traffic Original Score Motion Picture Soundtrack CD Cliff Martinez Brian Eno TVT US $7.99 [0 bids]
Brian Eno - Cluster & Eno - LP Vinyl Record US $18.00 [0 bids]
Brian Eno David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts - LP Vinyl Record US $18.00 [0 bids]
Luciano Pavarotti,Luciano Pavarotti,Brian Eno,Luciano Pavarotti,Luciano Pavarott US $3.25 Buy It Now 3h 39m
BRIAN ENO DAVID BYRNE MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS CASSETTE TAPE (EG) (1981) US $20.32 Buy It Now 3h 57m
BRIAN ENO - TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN BY STRAGEDY NEW CD US $18.60 Buy It Now 4h 25m
BRIAN ENO - AMBIENT 4: ON LAND NEW CD US $18.60 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Brian Eno Discreet Music LP Ambient Psych Drone 1975 Obscure EG US $40.00 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Wrong Way Up by John Cale/Brian Eno (CD, Oct-1990, Warner Bros.) US $17.99 [0 bids]
Like New! TALKING HEADS Remain In Light CD Original 1980 SIRE Release BRIAN ENO US $6.49 [0 bids]
Ambient 1: Music for Airports by Brian Eno (CD, Nov-1989, Editions E.G. Records) US $7.00 [0 bids]
"BRIAN ENO" - "HERE COME THE WARM JETS" - VINTAGE 1973 COLLECTIBLE LP - ENO-1 US $28.97 Buy It Now 6h 56m
RECORD ALBUMS BRIAN ENO MUSIC FOR FILMS LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
RECORD ALBUMS BRIAN ENO ANOTHER GREEN WORLD LP US $7.99 [1 bids]
Windy & Carl -Instrumentals For The Broken Hearted LP Stars Of The Lid Brian Eno US $12.00 [0 bids]
Everything That Happens [Digipak] by David Byrne/Brian Eno + The Forest 2 CD LOT US $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
DAVID BOWIE Heroes lp Vinyl Record Album RCA AYL1-3857 Clean NM-/EX Brian Eno US $9.99 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Lodger lp Vinyl Record Album US RCA AYL1-4234 VG++ Brian Eno US $9.99 [0 bids]
Brian Eno Lux 2xLP vinyl WARPLP231 US $28.98 Buy It Now 8h 43m
ROBERT FRIPP & BRIAN ENO LP No Pussyfooting SEALED Electro Synth Electronic 12" US $35.00 Buy It Now 8h 52m
BRIAN ENO Here Come The Warm Jets lp Vinyl Album 1973 US Island VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
U2 - Achtung Baby 510 347-2 1991 Canada Brian Eno Daniel Lanois Steve Lillywhite US $4.00 Buy It Now 10h 17m
Married to the Mob Soundtrack CD Sinead O'Connor New Order Brian Eno Chris Isaak US $39.99 Buy It Now 12h 48m
808 STATE THERMO KINGS CD Brian Eno *RARE REMIXES* Japan w/ OBI Propellerheads US $27.99 Buy It Now 13h 53m
W.Germany HAROLD BUDD BRIAN ENO The Pearl LP Editions EG 823162 w/DANIEL LANOIS US $49.99 Buy It Now 14h 13m
Talking Heads - Remain in Light Japan cd David Byrne Brian Eno WEA no target UPC US $22.90 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Roxy Music - S/T Japan 1st press cd 1972 Bryan Ferry Brian Eno VJD-28010 OBI US $32.89 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Brian Eno - Live At The BBC Vinyl LP US $38.89 Buy It Now 15h 35m
BRIAN ENO taking tiger mountain Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.00 Buy It Now 16h 26m
BRIAN ENO before and after science Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 29m
BRIAN ENO discreet music Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
PASSENDERS Original Soundtracks 1 CD Brian Eno,Bono US $7.50 Buy It Now 16h 35m
PROMO WHITE LABEL / BRIAN ENO BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE US $249.99 Buy It Now 16h 49m
RE-TROS & BRIAN ENO cut off CD US $12.99 Buy It Now 20h 55m
Television - Sketches LP Demos 1974 - 75 new york punk brian eno US $15.99 Buy It Now 21h 11m
BRIAN ENO - TAKING TIGER MOUNTAIN [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $45.25 Buy It Now 22h
BRIAN ENO - MUSIC FOR AIRPORTS [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $45.25 Buy It Now 22h 13m
DOGS IN SPACE Soundtrack Japan CD BRIAN ENO MICHAEL HUTCHENCE IGGY POP MEGA RARE US $88.88 Buy It Now 22h 16m
BRIAN ENO & KARL HYDE Someday World 2x Vinyl LP 2014 NEW & SEALED Indies Only US $35.50 Buy It Now 23h 39m
Brian Eno - Music For Films NEW CD US $8.32 Buy It Now 23h 50m
BRIAN ENO - Baby's On Fire/Fever, Muzak PICTURE SLEEVE 45 US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO - Music For Fans VOLUME 2 LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lucky Leif and the Longships - Robert Calvert Prod by Brian Eno 12" Rock LP M- US $17.99 [0 bids]
Brian Eno & David Byrne :: My life in the bush of ghosts :: LP :: 1981 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Peter and the Wolf (RSO LP strong VG++) Manfred Mann/Brian Eno/Phil Collins US $7.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets (CD, Nov-1993, Editions E.G. Records) US $1.99 [1 bids]
BRIAN ENO - BEFORE & AFTER SCIENCE (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $48.24 Buy It Now 1 day
EDIKANFO Pace Setters Brian Eno producer US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MASSIVE ATTACK PROTECTION 12" CASSETTE TAPE EP TRACEY THORN BRIAN ENO CIRCA '95 US $16.93 Buy It Now 1 day
TALKING HEADS- More Songs About Buildings And Food LP (EX+ Vinyl 1978) Brian Eno US $19.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Harold Budd & Brian Eno : Pearl CD (1999) US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks by Brian Eno (CD, 1989, Editions E.G. Records) US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO thursday afternoon JAPAN mini lp CD SEALED US $22.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE lodger JAPAN MINI LP CD ADRIAN BELEW BRIAN ENO SEALED US $22.99 [0 bids]
BRIAN ENO another day on earth EU CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
ROBERT FRIPP &BRIAN ENO evening star 1975 JAPAN MINI LP HQ CD ROXY MUSIC 24BIT US $31.99 [0 bids]
ROBERT FRIPP &BRIAN ENO No Pussyfooting 1973 JAPAN MINI LP HQ 2 CD 24BIT SEALED US $45.99 [0 bids]
U2-Achtung Baby-Bono/THE EDGE/Passangers/BRIAN ENO-Cd's US $8.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today [Digipak] by David Byrne/Brian Eno... US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno - Another Green World NEW CD US $10.57 Buy It Now 1 day
U2 / All That You Can't Leave Behind [Bonus CD Limited] Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois US $3.69 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL Soundtrack Cassette SEALED NEW U2 Bono Brian Eno US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Unforgettable Fire U2 Brian Eno (Early CD 1984 Island JAPAN) UPC 07567902312 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ICECAKE: Brian Eno / William Orbit / Sigur Ros-esque, Space-Rock, Mood CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
V/A A Deal A Day LP uk punk power pop scruffs brian eno diodes minimal synth EX US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jah Wobble "Fading:Nocturnal" 12" '81 Holger Czukay Brian Eno Zazou Can Ashra US $9.99 [0 bids]
Portishead Roseland NYC Live LP vinyl record massive attack mono brian eno US $35.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno Rick Holland Drums Between the Bells LP vinyl US $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
LP JON HASSELL DREAM THEORY IN MALAYA FOURTH WORLD VOL. 2 BRIAN ENO prog synth ! US $65.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Dogs In Space - Still sealed Canadian cassette - Brian Eno - Iggy Pop etc US $5.99 [0 bids]
Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon CD 2005 remaster in digipack & slipcase US $6.00 [0 bids]
Brian Eno - More Music for Films Japan DSD Mini LP Sleeve CD Rare Sealed NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO - Taking Tiger Mountain - Rare Original ISLAND 1974 Pink Rim LP US $5.98 [1 bids]
The Shutov Assembly by Brian Eno (CD Opal) AMBIENT DRONE Brilliant Avant-Garde US $0.99 [0 bids]
BRIAN ENO / DANIEL LANOIS / ROGER ENO Apollo Soundtrack EDITIONS US 1983 NM US $62.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL BROOK HYBRID WITH BRIAN ENO EDITION EG US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot Of 2 ambient cds (Brian Eno / Mike Oldfield) US $2.99 [1 bids]
Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) [Remaster] by Brian Eno (CD, May-2004, Emi) US $5.25 [1 bids]
Another Green World by Brian Eno (CD, 1989, Editions E.G. Records) US $3.49 [0 bids]
Ferry,Bryan - Brian Eno - Roxy Music- Mamouna CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
RECORD ALBUMS BRIAN ENO HERE COME THE WARM JETS LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
RECORD ALBUMS BRIAN ENO BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
More Blank Than Frank - Brian Eno (Cassette 1989) in NM US $11.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Small Craft on a Milk Sea [Digipak] by Brian Eno (CD, Nov-2010, Warp) US $8.00 [0 bids]
Dogs in Space LP INXS IGGY pop brian ENO gang of four Soundtrack! '87 rare! US $64.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno Nicolas Jaar Grizzly Bear 12" Record Store Day 2013 Ltd Ed.Only 2000! US $24.00 [0 bids]
Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) [Remaster] by Brian Eno (CD, May-2004, Emi) US $7.83 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO Discreet Music JAPAN LTD MINI LP CD SEALED DSD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno - Vol. 4-Ambient-On Land CD US $15.90 Buy It Now 1 day
FUTURE - OZ 2 X CD -V/A ELECTRONICA-BRIAN ENO-FLUKE-FSOL-HAROLD BUDD-PHOTEK-GRID US $14.07 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE..2004 EMI ORIGINAL MASTERS SERIES CD.FREE P US $10.15 Buy It Now 1 day
THE WINKIES and BRIAN ENO Baby's On Fire (King Crimson Roxy Music) prog single US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Sacrilege Can Brian Eno Carl Craig Sonic Youth Orb Jah Wobble 3P UNKLE - 2 CD 's US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO - BEFORE & AFTER SCIENCE [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $31.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno, U2, The Million Dollar Hotel: Music From The Motion Pi US $4.79 Buy It Now 1 day
TALKING HEADS Remain In Light UK 180g vinyl LP SEALED/NEW Brian Eno US $33.87 Buy It Now 1 day
BRIAN ENO & RICK HOLLAND Drums Between The Bells UK vinyl 2LP + download SEALED US $25.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno - Music for Films Japan DSD Mini LP Sleeve CD Rare Sealed NEW US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brian Eno Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks Japan DSD Mini LP Sleeve CD Rare NEW US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy BRIAN ENO music online Buy BRIAN ENO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRIAN ENO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRIAN ENO My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) ratings distribution

BRIAN ENO My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne) reviews

Review by FloydWright
4 stars I will admit it--when I first heard this album, I couldn't help but wonder exactly what I'd got myself into, or even whether I was going to like the thing. It sure had some neat stuff, that I could tell, but other things were very quirky, highly unusual, and perhaps a bit dated on the first hearing. But over time, I came to appreciate this album, and now I rate it quite highly indeed.

The key to really getting used to this album--is in remembering that these were the first ventures into things we now consider ordinary: sampling, drum loops, and so on. In a certain way, the roughness of parts of it gives it a unique sound that sets it far apart from the overpolished works of today. That is not to say this is sloppy in any way--the best was done with the technology that existed then, and for that I respect David Byrne and BRIAN ENO.

While I admit that one song, "The Jezebel Spirit", is well put together, there are times when I skip it because it can be quite unnerving! If you ask me, that exorcist sounds much more evil at times than the supposed demon he is trying to remove! Probably, in addition to "The Jezebel Spirit", my least listened-to track on this album is "Moonlight in Glory"--but that one has actually started to grow on me to where I enjoy it a great deal. That probably leaves only one weak track on here: "Very, Very Hungry".

In my opinion, the three strongest tracks are the ones that draw from Middle Eastern sources for their vocals. Each of them, including the painfully short "A Secret Life", I wish had been longer! My two favorites were those with vocals sampled from Lebanese mountain singer Dunya Yusin: "The Carrier" and "Regiment". I must also point out the excellent guitar work in "Regiment", which seems to me like a precursor to the similarly enjoyable work in the Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues' "Making Flippy- Floppy". I also noticed what seemed to be almost a sort of commentary by David Byrne upon politicians and televangelists; the way sound clips are used seem to make both groups look a bit ridiculous at times. For instance, "Mea Culpa's" juxtaposition of the babbling politician's weasling out of whatever he did with David Byrne's listless "blah blah blah blah" makes just as much of a statement as if he'd written lyrics of that nature and sang them. I also notice that in the song "Come With Us", he makes the evangelist sound rather like some freaky cultist, which in my opinion sometimes becomes the case when the evangelist focuses upon creation of a personality cult rather than a religious organization. There are other examples than just these two, however.

Overall, I think this is a very worthwhile album if you're willing to put forth the effort that may be needed to adjust to it.

Send comments to FloydWright (BETA) | Report this review (#33) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 22, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
5 stars For me this among the finest Brian Eno albums I have yet heard, and also one of the best 1980's rock releases along with King Crimson's discipline-era releases. The album takes its title from a book of African writer Amos Tutuola, whose fascinating story tells of tale of young boy, who escapes in a bush during a slave raid. The bush happens to be a place of ghosts and spirits, and the boy gets trapped in a parallel world full of African spiritual mythology. As the writer discusses the relations of Africa and Western world, this record also fusions elements from both western and world music to its expressive musical idioms. The overall sound is rough but enchanting, and the tracks are constructed from sampled loops and different tape excerpts. I can't name really any highlights or duller tracks from this album, as the album works as a really compact and alluring listening entity. Maybe the coolest sound elements in the mixture are the Islamic vocal passages sampled over the drum loops, creating really dense and exotic feeling. If you like Talking Heads, 1980's King Crimson and ethnic music, I would really recommend listen to this singular album.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#95720) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 26, 2006

Review by Chris S
4 stars This is more of a dual album between Byrne and Eno as opposed to an Eno solo album. As some may know Brian Eno produced the highly acclaimed Talking Heads's album Remain In Light from 1980 and shortly after David Byrne and BE continued these wonderful riffs and themes associated on that classic album on My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. Certainly a must have for any avid Talking Head's or Brian Eno fan.The album kicks off with the aptly entitled ' America Is Waiting' great drum beats, Byrne lyrics, Eno landscapes, Chris Frantz ( also of Talking Heads) on the drums. The bass playing is of such high quality on this album. To be honest I am not sure if it is the highly talented Bill Laswell or Busta Jones. Excellent either way. The album consists mainly of repetitive themes with hypnotic loops but each song covering a concept or story with largely political and religious undertones. The exorcism ritual on the 'Jezebel Spirit' is spine tingling in it's narritive and authenticity. You almost want to jump right in and help the sister out!

' Regiment' is another great song full of middle eastern influences. ' Help Me Somebody' is a cry of help from a drug infused state and as always the music fits perfectly with the delivery of Eno's soundscapes and Byrnes distinctive guitar licks.' Moonlight in Glory' is another great track. The album ebbs and fades with the overbearingly sombre instrumental ' Mountain Of Needles'.It is also worth mentioning Robert Fripp helps on arrangements on this masterpiece. It is little wonder when highly acclaimed musical publications have regarded this album as being one of the top 100 rock influencing albums of all time.Go out and get this if it happned to miss you by! Four and a half stars.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#118496) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007

Review by js (Easy Money)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars 1981 was a pivotal year in the history of pop and rock music. The elaborate styles of the 70s, English Progressive Rock, American Funk and RnB and Southern California's sophisticated Folk-Rock, were being replaced by new leaner styles. There was a lot of buzz in the air about the future of rock music, and at least two releases that came out that year attempted to point the way toward a new form of rock. One of those releases was Fripp's minimalist experiment, Under Heavy Manners, and the other was Byrne and Eno's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. Of the two albums, Fripp's release totally missed the mark because it was too dry and intellectual. Bush of Ghosts, on the other hand, presented a new futuristic style of rock made up of international rhythms, dubbed sound effects, sampled vocals and rich psychedelic sound textures, a style that remains popular to this day.

In the early to mid 90s, when an explosion of new music software made it easier for anyone to make professional recordings at home, this sort of beat and sound oriented international collage music had become as common as any other style of music. This style appears under a variety of names including Trip-Hop, DrumnBass, Ambient Techno, World Beat and Dub, but the basic components of these various styles are still similar to what Eno and Byrne introduced on this album.

One of the interesting things to listen to on this album is how Byrne handles the guitar parts with his limited, yet imaginative technique. On the songs that call for African-pop styled single note lines, David does pretty well with some slightly heavy-handed but somewhat funky riffs. On other songs he does a decent job of imitating the Fripp-Manzenera sustain tone you come to expect from an Eno record.

Since there has been so much music in a similar vein to Bush of Ghosts released over the years, ie music by Bill Laswell, Loop Guru, Jah Wobble, Eat Static, Mad Professor, The Orb and many others, it is interesting to compare Eno-Byrne's album with today's international beat collage recordings. Although I think computer editing has ruined a lot of modern metal and rock, I think in this sort of beat oriented music computers have worked wonders and unfortunately that makes this record sound dated because there is a lack of sophisticated effects.

There are a couple of interesting similarities to Ghosts and Fripp's Heavy Manners, both albums feature David Byrne and both feature at least one cut with the heavy-handed funk bassist Busta Jones. It is also interesting to note that Ghosts features Bill Laswell on one track. Laswell, of course went on to make a career for himself playing electro-world beat music with many international stars. There is no doubt that Bill picked up a few ideas from working with Eno, and possibly vice-versa.

Despite sounding a bit dated there are still many fun tracks on this album as well as some very beautiful psychedelic numbers as well. Unfortunately there are a couple tracks that didn't age as well and they drag a bit. Still this is an extremely important album because it pointed the way towards a whole new style of rock music.

Send comments to js (Easy Money) (BETA) | Report this review (#162146) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 18, 2008

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I never thought that a collaboration between Brian Eno & David Byrne could reap such a rewarding album for its listeners! After Brian Eno's first collaboration with Talking Heads and just before the release of their second collaboration which resulted in a masterpiece known as Remain In Light Eno & Byrne made a little side project. This is how the music on My Life In The Bush Of Ghost came to be. The record is especially famous for mixing in sampled vocals into the music which might not be all that significant in out sampling day and age but was pretty innovating back then. This was after all the time before digital sequencing and MIDI sampling, meaning that all the sampled voices had to be synchronized with the instrumental tracks completely manually. What a tedious process that must have been!

The music here ranges from World Music to Electronica to Funk and it's a real blast for all senses to sit through. I think that the album opener America Is Waiting, Help Me Somebody and The Jezebel Spirit basically incorporate all of the different styles and direction featured on the album so I really recommend checking them out!

I was originally a bit surprised that the track Qu'ran was missing from my version of the CD. According to Wikipedia "In the 1982 second edition, the track "Qu'ran"-which features samples of Qur'anic recital-was removed at the request of the Islamic Council of Great Britain". In its place a B-side of The Jezebel Spirit single called Very, Very Hungry was substituted. It would have been nice to hear the original version of this album but, just like Eno & Byrne, I think that the difficult issue was well worth respecting. Besides, Very, Very Hungry is a wonderful substitute and blends perfectly in with the rest of the album.

Although Eno & Byrne would collaborate again in 2008 the whole saying that the original is best definitely applies well here since My Life In The Bush Of Ghost is still by far the best and most influential work of this duo. I strongly recommend it to fans of Progressive Electronica and although it might not appeal to all tastes the music is original enough to make it an excellent addition to any prog rock music collection!

***** star songs: America Is Waiting (3:39) Help Me Somebody (4:17) The Jezebel Spirit (4:57)

**** star songs: Mea Culpa (4:58) Regiment (4:11) Very Very Hungry (3:21) Moonlight In Glory (4:30) The Carrier (4:20) A Secret Life (2:32) Come With Us (2:43) Mountain Of Needles (2:39)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#275680) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
5 stars One of the best and most important albums of all time. The first album for the Eno & Byrne duo is a remarkable masterpiece, a perfect follow up to that historic Talking Heads album "Remain In Light", released a year earlier.

In fact, the style of this album has many similarities to RIL: funky bass lines, exotic atmospheres, electronic arrangements, even though in this album there are present in every single song. New elements include speech excerpts, electronic sounds, ambience, tension, magically alternated with relaxation. Basically, the duo invented new soundscapes, having already a very precise base. This peculiar style is possible thanks to the perfect marriage between David Byrne's love for exoticism and funk, which gives the album a more rockish feeling, and Brian Eno's arrangements and synthesizers. "My Life In The Bush Of Ghost" is the twisted, creepy, but extremely original child. As I said earlier, in almost every song we can hear in the background or a radio sample of reverends, politicians, exorcists, or a Third World singer, that could come from Egypt, or from the Lebanese mountains, or Algerian Muslims.

"My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" is a wonderful, strange, eerie trip, that brings you to today's world; consumerism, TV, Third World, religion fanaticism, politics, leaving of course a side for surrealism. I also like to think of this album as a journey through modern man's quotidian day; the first half of the album is bright, and reminds of a midday daydream, or nightmare, most definitely the more exotic part of the album, while the second part is creepy, bleak, and nocturnal, with weird atmospheres that at times can truly chill.

All the songs are brilliant, I honestly cannot find a bad one: from the morning-glory opening track "America Is Waiting", to the dreamy ending "Mountain Of Needles", or from the bridge track between the two parts I mentioned earlier, "Moonlight In Glory", which can perfectly represent a sunset, to the exotic "The Jebezel Spirit", a true Eno classic. Every single song in this album is perfect.

As a conclusion, a terrific, amazing album, to listen to over and over, especially if you're into this type of music. Essential.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#362489) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 24, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars It is not the first time that Eno and Byrne met. Eno was already producer of the band and their music shared mutual influence IMO. This was already obvious during some songs from "Before & After Science".

I have to say that this Life In The Bush" is rather hermetic to my ears. It is quite experimental (too much actually) and repetitive. Funky rhythms all the way through, afro-Caribbean percussions, distorted vocals are plenty. Not my cup of tea actually.

To be fully honest, by that time I had already disconnected with TH. Their too obvious funk orientation was not of my interest and after their third album ("Fear Of Music") I didn't like their music any longer even if I still purchased their next one "Remain In Light".

All of this to tell you that I am not very enthusiastic about this release. At times, some Eastern influence adds a bit of flair to the ensemble, but that's not enough to make a good album. "The Carrier" and "Come With Us" are particularly weak. But I can't find any track attractive.

Two stars is the bill. You might like this type of music if you are more into experimental music than I am (which is not difficult, I admit).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#394054) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 04, 2011

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Recorded before Remain in Light but released afterwards, Bush of Ghosts is the last time in Eno's career that we see him innovating on a really large scale (all his albums afterwards are at most minor variations on already established techniques and styles). The basic idea behind all of these tracks is this: loop a few samples of somebody talking or preaching or chanting or whatever, and lay it on top of an army of percussionists and bassists playing various "ethnic" rhythms. Rhythm-wise, at least, this sounds a TON like Remain in Light (which makes sense, of course), and overall this has influenced countless electronica artists (some better, some worse) to do basically the exact same thing that this album does.

I have to admit, this album sounds really freaking cool, but unfortunately my enjoyment is tempered by the fact that the formula starts to get old for me about halfway through. This album is all about sound, not "music" per se, and when the sound is all essentially based around the same idea, it's very difficult for me not to get tired of it after a while. I've seen this compared to Peter Gabriel's Passion, but that's a bit of a rough comparison, if only because Passion sounds (to me, anyway) like honest-to-goodness real music, and stirs real emotions within me, whereas this definitely does not. It's yet another science project, and while it's a science project of the highest level (I'm giving it a very good grade, after all, because I really think it deserves it), it's another one of those albums that I have to tip my hat to more than I really "enjoy."

Regardless, if you can't get sucked in by the grooves of "America is Waiting" or, say, the awesome rhythmic preacher rantings of "Help Me Somebody" (to just name a couple of examples), there's something not quite right with your ears. If you're going to own only one sample-based album, this is most certainly the one to have.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#434174) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011

Review by colorofmoney91
4 stars I've never cared for The Talking Heads or David Byrne's vocals at all, so years ago when I picked up this album I remember feeling kind of scared, like I might be wasting my money. I was very wrong.

This collaboration effort of Brian Eno and David Byrne is fantastically funky, noisy, and partially hip-hop inspired (or maybe this album helped inspire hip-hop, which kind of seems more likely). There are also traces of world music, and plenty of spoken-word clips from various sources. This album isn't so much for creating mental imagery or for making ambient background noise (as Eno's other works tend to be), but is more about creating a collage of sound that is almost assaulting with a punk attitude of a persistent nature that is hard not to respect and pay attention to.

Aside from David Byrne, some more exciting names from the progressive rock community show up, such as Percy Jones, Robert Fripp, and Phil Collins (the same "super group" of musicians found on Another Green World. Those three musicians among the others on this album really add touches to this album that Eno and Byrne themselves wouldn't have been able to add, which would most likely make this album less enjoyable. Fortunately, this album is incredibly enjoyable and upbeat, not to mention slightly manic.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#438141) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review by Warthur
5 stars This excellent companion piece to Remain In Light - having been recorded at around the same time - finds Eno and Byrne indulging their passions for wild, layered rhythms as pioneered on I Zimbra on Talking Heads' Fear of Music. The deft use of sampled voices and snippets aids the creation of fascinating, murky atmospheres - such as the exorcism sequence on The Jezebel Spirit - which would later be picked up by post-rock acts such as Godspeed You Black Emperor or A Silver Mt. Zion. At times spiritual, at other times sinister and apocalyptic, this is one album which proves that "groove-laden and danceable" and "experimental and progressive" are far from incompatible.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#566273) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 11, 2011

4 stars A superb album from beginning to end of the original vinyl recording, which blends the paranoiac tendencies of David Byrne at that time, with the electronic wizardry of Brian Eno. What could go wrong? Nothing in fact. A marriage made in heaven where two experimental musicians could give it th ... (read more)

Report this review (#613387) | Posted by Dobermensch | Thursday, January 19, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I am not fan of Eno. His landscapes are not acoustically justified all the time, but I have most of his production on CD's so I can tell when something as perfect as "My Life in the Bush of Ghost" is playing to my ears. David Byrne on the other hand is a genius on his own terms, a man looking ... (read more)

Report this review (#554255) | Posted by steelyhead | Friday, October 21, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I bought this a couple of days ago, and have given it a couple spins. As a bit of background, I have heard two other Eno albums (Another Green World and Apollo), as well as most of the Talking Heads discography. This album is almost exactly halfway between Eno's work and Byrne's. Also, it reminded ... (read more)

Report this review (#209297) | Posted by nmccrina | Monday, March 30, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm no fan of Eno,but this is a kick-ass album.I finally got my hands on a remastered version of this,almost masterpiece.I say almost 'cause for reasons unknown to me (political correctness?) song "Qur'an" is ommited from album and I can state with certainty that this is the best song produced ... (read more)

Report this review (#75903) | Posted by ljubaspriest | Saturday, April 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRIAN ENO "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts (with David Byrne)"