The Who - My Generation CD (album) cover

MY GENERATION

The Who

Proto-Prog

Alitare
1 stars Jamming is good, grape jam jelly jam, this is my jumbled jeneration.

The Who Sings My Generation is a fine rock album, to be sure. Even if the vocals are a bit laughable. (B.B King was a mod based Brit?) Well, the harmonies aren't terribly offensive, and it is only '65 by the by.

The opener is almost a throwaway pop rock song, until they decide to punk it up with that offensive jumble halfway through. The guitars are nice and dirty, though. I Don't Mind scrams do-wop and I scream No! This isn't amazing. This is rather banal.The lyrics are terrible, and the song is simple. This is simple rock. It is inspirational rock, but it is still bad. At least the songs are short, right? No, they still manage to be boring, even when they rock as hard as they can (which is about as hard as nothing). The vocal harmonies are pedestrian, and the guitar "solos" are nothing crazy.

That isn't to say this is a horrible album. They do rock pretty hard in places. The Good's gone isn't too offensive, but this is some amateur stuff from an obviously inexperienced band who WOULD go on to do better things. A punk rock album to be sure.

La La La Lies might be the worst song on here if they didn't incorporate the nice melodies and catchy jangling groove that for some reason doesn't make me hate it. They sound like Beatles clones, though. Oh well, at least it is only 2 minutes long. Those lyrics are drivel, though.

They certainly have a fixation with mediocre vocal harmonies. Much Too Much follows suit with average playing mixed together with weak singing, and lyrics I think middle school students could come up with (wait, they are middle school students, aren't they!?) Aged or not, this is much too much for me to handle. I am not a big fan of the Beatles, and this is like a second rate version of them at the time.

Wait, they can rock, can't they? What is this!? My Generation rocks hard! It punks hard! And it is still catchy. Those lyrics suck, though. "Just talkin' bout my g-g-g-generation" is pathetic. They still rock. Not a perfect track, not even great, but it is alright. The best thing here, sadly. The Kids are Alright, is more second rate pop punk. The hook is fun, but doesn't save this from only being alright.

Please, Please, Please is bluesy garbage. The singing makes me want to shut off the radio. This would be great in say... 1953. It is painfully bad, here. It's Not True has some more poppy rocking, and doesn't do too bad. A good song, actually. Not quite as interesting as the Title track, but not offensive. The hook is good, too. Lyrics are terrible, though. Does this surprise anyone? The Ox lets out the thick and hard rock. Drumming going heavy, with very distorted guitars. This sounds like an Ox, and is actually interesting. Hard rock prototype. The piano is fun, too. You know the best part? It is an instrumental!

A Legal Matter has the uptempo with the best singing on the album (still not good). A basic rock song. With abysmal lyrics. Instant Party (Circles) is a fine song, with more deep Beatles influences. Still a bit obnoxious. A standard end to an unimpressive debut.

To be honest, you don't need this album, unless you have a thing for second rate pop punk without any real interesting ideas. This is the opposite of essential, and it actually offends at times. The vocals plain stink, and they aren't brilliant musicians. Oh yeah, the lyrics are pathetic. At least it has a couple shining moments.

Best Song - The Ox

Worst Song - Um, do I have to pick? So much to choose from. Probably Please, Please, Please.

* Strong Star.