MY GENERATION

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE WHO Music
Studio Album, released in 1965

Disk 1.
1. Out In The Street (2:32)
2. I Don't Mind (2:33)
3. The Good's Gone (4:00)
4. La-La-La Lies (2:18)
5. Much Too Much (2:45)
6. My Generation (3:21)
7. The Kids Are Alright (3:10)
8. Please, Please, Please (2:46)
9. It's Not True (2:34)
10. I'm A Man (3:23)
11. A Legal Matter (2:54)
12. The Ox (3:57)
13. Circles (3:13)
bonus tracks
14. I Can't Explain (2:04)
15. Bald Headed Woman (2:32)
16. Daddy Rolling Stone (2:55)

Disk 2. Bonus Tracks
1. Leaving Here (2:50)
2. Lubie (Come Back Home) (3:40)
3. Shout And Shimmy (3:20)
4. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2:41)
5. Motoring (2:51)
6. Anytime You Want Me (2:38)
7. Anyhow, Anywhere, Anyway (alt) (2:43)
8. Instant Party Mixture (3:24)
9. I Don't Mind (full length version) (3:43)
10. The Good's Gone (full length version) (4:29)
11. My Generation (instrumental) (3:27)
12. Anytime You Want Me (A Cappella) (2:29)
Monaural Versions with Guitar Overdubs
13. A Legal Matter (2:49)
14. My Generation (3:18)

Search THE WHO My Generation lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation tabs

- Pete Townshend / guitars
- Keith Moon / drums
- Roger Daltry / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass

MCA deluxe edition in 2002 with 17 bonus tracks

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Snow Dog for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation Music

Who Are YouWho Are You
Extra tracks · Remastered
Mca 1996
Betty Who "Slow Dancing EP" new 2014 promo CD / Heartbreak Dream US $12.99 Buy It Now 30m 19s
, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - Music from the Motion Picture Audio CD US $4.06 Buy It Now 30m 29s
BOYS DON'T CRY who the am dam do you think you am 041 7" PS EX/EX US $11.84 Buy It Now 31m 53s
STATUS QUO - WHO GETS THE LOVE 7" VINYL PS US $8.46 Buy It Now 36m 4s
CAMILO SESTO shoulder to shoulder\who better than i ARO 296 uk ariola 7" WS EX/ US $21.13 Buy It Now 36m 10s
FLASH AND THE PAN and the band played on/the man who knew the answer 7" WS EX/ US $11.84 Buy It Now 36m 10s
MANKIND dr who/time traveler PIN 71 uk pinnacle 1978 7" PS EX/EX US $12.23 Buy It Now 37m 29s
BBC DVD Doctor Who - Doomsday ,The Sun newspaper, Promo DVD US $3.37 Buy It Now 39m 11s
20th Century Masters: Millennium Collection (Eco-Friendly Packaging) Who Audio US $3.99 Buy It Now 39m 58s
78 RPM CYRIL STAPLETON the red balloon\the man who plays the mandolino 10" WS EX US $81.75 Buy It Now 42m 42s
The Who Are You VG++ NM Near Mint Vinyl Record LP MCA MCA-3050 US $6.99 Buy It Now 47m 2s
Niemeyer. For Those Who Believe. Great Danish pop CD 2003.Very Rare. US $26.99 [0 bids]
48m 21s
THE WHO Quadrophenia Press Pack Promo CD + Booklet *WORLD SHIP Pete Townshend US $30.47 Buy It Now 49m 27s
ELTON JOHN nikita \ the man who never died V/RARE 884-173 7" VINYL RECORD VG 31 US $13.54 Buy It Now 51m 50s
THE GUESS WHO artificial paradise LSP-4830 usa rca dynaflex 1973 LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 57m 41s
FOUR SEASONS~WHO LOVES YOU~1975 UK 8-TRACK LP + LYRIC INNER~WARNER BROS. K 56179 US $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 3m
STU LEATHWOOD - SO TELL ME WHO'S CRAZY (MOG THEME) 7" VINYL PS US $12.69 Buy It Now 1h 7m
BLACK UHURU - GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER [BLACK UHURU] - NEW CD US $11.69 Buy It Now 1h 15m
The Who "Life with the Moons" Yellow Dog Upgraded From Box Set Silver Cd Rare US $44.99 [0 bids]
the Guess Who: American Woman RCA LSP 4266 US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING M.Jarre ULTRA RARE BAY CITIES US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
MARVIN SEASE - WHO'S GOT THE POWER * - NEW CD US $11.85 Buy It Now 1h 25m
The Marquee-30 Legendary Years. 2 LP HENDRIX who FREE Cream FLOYD Jam-freeUKpost US $21.18 Buy It Now 1h 25m
ERASURE who needs love like that (mexican mix) L12 MUTE 40 uk 1985 12" PS EX/EX US $25.96 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO who's next DL 79182 usa decca 1971 LP PS VG+/VG+ writing on sleeve US $42.08 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO - WHO'S MISSING - NEW CD US $4.38 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Faith Evans - Ain't Nobody (who Could Love Me) remix 12" Rap single - Bad Boy US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Tommy CD BRAND NEW Remixed Remastered Original Artwork New Sleeve Notes US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Happy Jack The Who Record US $9.00 [0 bids]
TRAVIS The Man Who CD 90's Alternative Rock US $3.71 Buy It Now 1h 40m
THE WHO Meaty,Beaty,Big & Bouncy UK TRACK RECORDS SUPER "Porky" Clean TOP AUDIO US $22.01 Buy It Now 1h 40m
VULCANO WHO ARE THE TRUE LP 1stPR COGUMELO 1988 Sepultura Bathory Slayer+ US $70.00 [0 bids]
VULCANO WHO ARE THE TRUE LP 1stPRE COGUMELO 1988 Sepultura Bathory Slayer US $70.00 [0 bids]
The Who GOLDEN ALBUM Japan 2LP \ US $54.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
STEFFIN SISTERS who put the good in goodbye 7" PS EX/EX usa k US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 43m
KIM JONES PAUL CARPENTER DAVID MOSES GRAHAM WALKER guess who cares 7" WS EX/- uk US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 43m
TONY BENNETT who can i turn to CBS 62486 near mint stereo LP PS EX/EX uk cbs US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 45m
TELLY SAVALAS who loves ya baby/nevertheless MCA 217 uk mca 1975 7" WS EX/ US $12.23 Buy It Now 1h 46m
FULL FORCE guess who's comin' to the crib LP PS EX/EX usa columbia FC40894 drill US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 46m
LED ZEPPELIN the who BOB MARLEY - OFFICIAL TEXTILE POSTER / FLAG US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 47m
LED ZEPPELIN the who BOB MARLEY - OFFICIAL TEXTILE POSTER / FLAG US $18.62 Buy It Now 1h 47m
DEVIL DOLL-THE GIRL WHO WAS ... DEATH-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $38.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m
The Who-Talkin' 'Bout Their Generation (CD, Dec-1993, Baktabak (UK)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Chris Tarrent of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire If The Face Fits PC CD Software US $5.91 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Price,Kelly - This Is Who I Am [CD New] US $7.97 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Gary Clail Who Pays The Piper RCA CD Single NEW + Isolation Perfecto Remixes US $5.51 Buy It Now 1h 55m
THE GUESS WHO LP " Rockin' " NIMBUS 9 Canada 1972' ** ROCK ** US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 56m
LIGHTNIN' HOPKINS - THEY WONDER WHO I AM / FINALLY MET MY BABY - BLUES BOPPERS US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 59m
7" EDEN KANE "RAIN RAIN GO AWAY/GUESS WHO IT IS" 1960'S POP US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h
TELLY SAVALAS - WHO LOVES YA BABY 7" VINYL US $9.30 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Who - Quadrophenia (Remastered-1996) (1996) - New - Compact Disc US $16.22 Buy It Now 2h 5m
(PW54) The Style Council Boy Who Cried Wolf Promo 7" EX+ US $16.95 Buy It Now 2h 7m
THE WHO - THE LOWDOWN [THE WHO] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 2h 8m
THE WHO - WHO ARE YOU [BONUS TRACKS] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $6.87 Buy It Now 2h 8m
JESUS JONES - WHO? WHERE? WHY? CD SINGLE US $3.37 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Horace Andy - Say Who NEW VINYL LP 10.99 US $18.62 Buy It Now 2h 9m
ROGER DALTREY (THE WHO) ride a rock horse ACB 199 A3/B2 uk polydor LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 2h 12m
The Who (band in front of target) steel fridge magnet (cv) US $6.08 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Horace Andy - Who Say NEW CD 9.99 US $16.93 Buy It Now 2h 12m
MORCHEEBA / WHO CAN YOU TRUST? US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
THE GUESS WHO. THE BEST OF THE GUESS WHO LIVE!. COMPLEAT. CRC 672012-1. 1986. US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
THE ICICLE WORKS,ALL THE DAUGHTERS/WHO DO YOU WANT,2 SINGLE JOB LOT,7" VINYL'S US $5.08 Buy It Now 2h 14m
FULL FORCE guess who's comin' to the crib 460266 1 uk cbs 1987 LP PS EX/EX US $15.23 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE GUESS WHO THE BEST OF / GATEFOLD COVER US $69.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THE WHO - FACE DANCES [BONUS TRACKS] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $6.19 Buy It Now 2h 21m
THE FOUR SEASONS WHO LOVES YOU 1975 VINYL LP +INNER SLEEVE NEAR MINT COLLECTABLE US $16.86 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Madonna: Who's That Girl OST promo Sire 25611-1 US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
JOHN SCHNEIDER What's A Memory Like You b/w One Who got Away STOCK 45 M- US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
The Who-Maximum R&B, 2 LPs Vinyl, Reaction Records PRJK 905 US $25.00 [0 bids]
The Who-Tommy-Live From Radio City Music Hall 1989, 3 LPs, Starlight SL 87026 US $30.00 [0 bids]
The Who-Who Unreleased, LP, Vinyl, Who Records LPB-27 US $30.00 [0 bids]
1981 THE WHO Who's Next LP $uper $tars At $uper $avings MCA-37217 VG+/GD+ US $15.25 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Charles Stuart-The Man Who Likes Watching CD CD Very Good US $6.17 Buy It Now 2h 29m
The Guess Who The Greatest Of Vinyl LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
The Who Who's Next 1978 MCA Re-Issue Press, STEAM CLEANED, A+ SOUND! US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
The Guess Who, Guess Who, Greatest of Audio CD US $5.91 Buy It Now 2h 34m
WHO, The - Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970 (reissue) - LP box US $86.39 Buy It Now 2h 35m
THE BLUES BAND - WHO'S RIGHT, WHO'S WRONG 7" VINYL PS US $7.61 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Galliano ?- Who Ate The Fly? : Talkin' Loud Hip Optimist De Lata Mixes PROMO WL US $3.37 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Original 1965 MATT MONRO Who Can I Turn To? LP Vinyl Record ALBUM 12" YEX 160 US $7.25 Buy It Now 2h 37m
THE WHO "PINBALL WIZARD/DOGS PART TWO" 1969 USED NCB SCANDINAVIAN 7" VINYL RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
The Steppers - Alice Who The F Is Alice 5 Track CD Single US $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 42m
The Guess Who The Best Of Vinyl LP US $6.00 [0 bids]
Pete Townsend(The Who) CD Psychoderelict (Exc!) US $5.91 Buy It Now 2h 43m
KORN Korn III-Remember Who You Are LP RRCAR 7757-1 NEW & SEALED US $25.33 Buy It Now 2h 43m
PETER TOWNSHEND WHO CAME FIRST LP Record Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
The Who Quadrophenia 1973 1st TML Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! Deep Groove US $70.00 Buy It Now 2h 49m
The Who Who's Better Who's Best 1988 Japan CD 1st Press Obi P30P-20158 HTF Rare US $49.80 Buy It Now 2h 50m
THE WHO Who Are You VINYL MCA Records MCA-3050 - Good Condition US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 51m
THE WHO Who Are You LP WHOD 5004 A3/B1 1st US $15.17 Buy It Now 2h 51m
BOOZOO CHAVIS - WHO STOLE MY MONKEY? [PA] - NEW CD US $14.66 Buy It Now 2h 52m
KAHI - Who Are You? (2nd Mini Album) CD +Unfold POSTER $2.99 Ship AFTER SCHOOL US $22.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
SOUL 45 Joe Simon ?- Who's Julie / The Girl's Alright With Me LISTEN US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 56m
KAHI - Who Are You? (2nd Mini Album) CD (Sealed) $2.99 Ship K-POP AFTER SCHOOL US $16.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night - 8829802 US $11.20 Buy It Now 2h 57m
I Dreamed a Dream, Susan Boyle CD 2009 Who I Was Born To Be, Silent Night, River US $2.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(13%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(20%)

THE WHO My Generation reviews

Review by fuxi
3 stars MY GENERATION is one of the seminal British rock albums of the mid-1960s. Although perhaps only seven or eight of its original tracks are top-notch, these virtually defined the classic heavy rock sound.

The Who are so often claimed as godfathers of the punk movement that you may ask yourself what connection this early album could have with progressive rock. The answer lies, very simply, with the wild instrumental abandon of the "My Generation" finale, and of "The Ox". Until "The Ox" came along, exuberant rock instrumentals of THIS calibre were totally unheard of. Chris Squire, John Wetton and many other prog bassists have hailed John Entwistle as one of their heroes. Surely the influence of "The Ox" stretches all the way to King Crimson's "Schizoid Man" and Yes's "Heart of the Sunrise". The more I think about it, the more it seems that much of the dark electric sound of post-1972 King Crimson was inspired by, or even grew out of, this single track by the Who.

Since the album currently under review seems to be the two-disc deluxe edition, it's worth pointing out that this has one major drawback: it does NOT contain one of the Who's most exciting early classics: the original mono version of "Anyway, anyhow, anywhere."

As with THE WHO SELL OUT, the very best material from MY GENERATION can also be found on the THIRTY YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B box set.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#129798) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 22, 2007

Review by Chicapah
3 stars Don't judge this rough debut album too harshly. When The Who recorded the songs for this LP in late 1965 progressive rock did not exist. Even The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were still writing simple love songs and few bands were granted the privilege of putting out an entire album of their own tunes. The Who had charted in the UK with the singles "I Can't Explain" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" so their producer Shel Talmy had gotten the go ahead on the LP from Decca. Pete Townsend, encouraged by the opportunity, wrote more original songs for the record and his tunes replaced many of the covers that were initially tapped to be included from their live stage show. The album wasn't released in the US until April 1966 after it was re-titled as "The Who Sing My Generation" and featured a somewhat grim cover photo of the group frowning in front of Big Ben to associate them with the still-burgeoning British Invasion phenomenon. I have that vinyl disc and it's that version that I will review here.

"Out In The Streets" is, for those innocent times, a stark rocker where Roger Daltrey employs his faux James Brown soul voice and, where there would normally be a guitar lead, Pete just bangs unceremoniously on his axe. It may not seem like much now but back then it was too cool for words. Speaking of the Godfather of Soul, "I Don't Mind" is a JB cover and you get a glimpse of what their nightclub routine must have been like. This is the kind of funky stuff that Roger lived for. On "The Good's Gone" Daltrey abandons that persona, however, and adopts a deeper, more menacing style. This is also where you get your first introduction to the one and only Nicky Hopkins guest-appearing on piano. That talented guy was everywhere in those days. "La La La Lies" is next and it's a catchy pop tune where Keith Moon restricts himself to just using the tom toms on the verse and chorus. Again, that was something no one else was doing then. "Much Too Much" is a pedestrian Townsend song where Roger sings about dumping a girl because she's getting too serious about their relationship. Probably a situation Daltrey was familiar with.

What can I say about "My Generation" that hasn't already been said? I can only relate that, in my case, I was turned on to the tune by a hip drummer friend of mine one day as a nave sophomore in high school and I had a devil of a time finding the 45 at the local record shop. I had to special order it. You see, while the track tore up the charts in England (#2) it never even sniffed the charts in the US. But that song changed my whole outlook on life (along with seeing them open for Herman's Hermits in April '67) and my mom swore that I was never the same sweet boy she raised ever again. (She's right, too.) Anyway, the track is so fantastic that they sound like a completely different band performing it and hard rock music was never the same afterward. It defined an alternative attitude that struck a note deep in the soul of many a restless youth.

Keith Moon's charismatic, unorthodox approach to drumming is all over the excellent "The Kids Are Alright." The subject matter of choosing to leave a relationship rather than drag an innocent girl into the brutal world of rock & roll was unusual, as well. Evidently there's a slashing guitar solo that was snipped from the US version that we never got to enjoy. There was a lot of that kind of selective editing going on back then that wasn't fair to either the artist or the consumer. The most embarrassing cut on the album is their over-the-top version of the James Brown classic "Please, Please, Please" where Roger tries much too hard to emote. It's almost laughable. "It's Not True" follows and despite the snotty lyrics it sounds like they were trying to please the record company with a tune that sounded like what the other British groups were putting out. It makes it even more obvious that The Who was destined for much bigger, better things than being a one-hit wonder.

"The Ox" is pure proto prog in that it evokes a noisy, psychedelic aura that no one else had even dreamed up at the time. Moon had always been a surf music enthusiast so the fact that the group-written instrumental resembles "Wipe Out" is no coincidence but John Entwistle's booming yet top-heavy bass and Keith's relentless assault on the drums makes that dinky novelty tune pale in comparison. Pete has said that this song more than any on the LP duplicates the explosive energy they produced on stage and his use of feedback and distortion was groundbreaking. Only The Yardbirds were coming close to making this kind of joyful noise. "A Legal Matter" is about divorce, a touchy subject even then, and Pete sings it probably because Roger was going through the breakup of his marriage at the time and it hit a little too close to home. Nicky Hopkin's sprightly piano work livens things up a bit. Lastly, for the US version of the album we got "Instant Party" (also known as "Circles") instead of "I'm a Man" and I think we got the better end of the deal because Pete's chaotic guitar solo is years ahead of its era and John's odd French horn makes the cut quite eclectic.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing stellar about this record except the earth-shaker that is "My Generation" itself but it does show a group of tough, punkish kids that are making the most of their big break by fearlessly pushing the envelope of what was commonly accepted in those days. Remember that this was recorded before many innovations in studio techniques were being employed and the growing tension between producer Shel Talmy on one side and Townsend and manager Kit Lambert on the other (that resulted in a nasty split soon after) wasn't necessarily conducive to a happy working environment. All in all, however, it did put The Who on the map and set them up to make much, much better records in the near future. 2.5 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#129868) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 22, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars So, finally the Who are integrated into Rock Archives. Great Achievement !

For those of you who wonder "Who" are these guys, I would just tell you that they are one of the greatest rock band in history. Chronologically a bit later than The Beatles and the Stones.

They are also one of my "classic rock" faves. What can you expect from their first album ??? The original album only hold twelve songs (up to "The Ox").

Well, one of the greatest rock anthems of all times : "My Generation" of course. I just hope that Pete does not die any time soon like he mentioned in the lyrics (the famous phrase "I hope I die because I get old). This will allow me to see them more times live (last one was in June this year during an EXTRAORDINARY concert in Antwerp).

An incredible rock and melodious song which became a punk anthem little later (1976) : "The Kids Are Alright".

Several other single songs : at this time of their career, The Who are mainly a singles band like "Out in the Street". "La-La-La Lies" (somewhat poor I'm afraid), "Much Too Much" a typical Who song of that era (melodious and good rocking), "A Legal Matter" (another very good Who song with a great beat), and "The Ox" (a psychedelic song which might have influenced some Vanilla Fudge stuff, early Purple songs (Mark I of course), early Floyd ones as well ("Piper" period) : great and hypnotic drumming and great bass play as well.

"It's Not True" also ranges to the good, standard old rock number with interesting lyrics : at least Pete didn't want to kill his dad unlike Jim Morrison a little later ("The End") and "The Good's Gone" (which includes some psyche elements as well).

Some poor songs as well : "I Don't Mind", "Please, Please Me" (childish blues ones), "I'm A Man" (again a bluesy one).

If you are looking to an inch of prog music, you won't get it with this one (nor with any Who album). The Who are definitely a very important band in the rock history. They have produced the best concept of all time (IMO), one of the greatest live record as well, and an incredible amount of rock anthems.

IMO, the bands that "The Who" have influenced the most are "The Jam" and "The Clash". Nothing prog there either (although they are great bands of course).

Three stars for this album. This rating is for fans only. If you want to get the essence of their work, just grab a "Best Of". For maniacs, "Tommy", "Live At Leeds", "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia" are of course essential.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#129961) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 23, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars When I was a child and music of The Beatles and Indonesian bands like Koes Plus, Panbers and The Mercy's were around my playground, I knew very little about The Who. Until a period when the "Tommy" rock opera was released, I was finally aware about the band existence. And I agree that this band was one of the others who formed the establishment of rock music through what later called as The British Invasion. As this is the debut album, I did not expect a lot out from it. The music is practically simple and actually nothing quite challenging. But, remember that it was mid 60s and not many bands had its form by that time. So, the fact that The Who released this album was a significant contribution to rock development.

Over the span of decades, people have made thousands of words to rate as one of the best debut albums of all time. Some people, in fact, go even further by declaring it to be the "one". For someone who knew the album decades too late to listen to it for the first time, , it still sounds like one of the most and important reasons to love rock music. But hold on for a second. If you compare it today's complex prog music, you might not think so. And, I leave it up to you be the final judge because at the of the day .. music is emotion.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#159476) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 21, 2008

Review by UMUR
2 stars My Generation is the debut album from legendary sixties rock band The Who. The Who isnt a band Ive ever listened to besides seing the Tommy movie somtime in my teenage years, so I thought Id give it a go to see if they could excite me.

My Generation is a pretty typical sixties pop/ rock album which is clearly inspired by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones which means that The Who has both the nice pop melodies and beautiful arranged harmony vocals and the more dirty bluesy touch. My Generation isnt a very dirty album though and its not that progressive either. Most of the songs fail to give me much more than a good simple pop melody. There are not many exciting instrumental arrangements on the album. Ill mention a few exceptions: The Good's Gone is a pretty good song in my ears and it even has some psychadelic hints ( only hints). My Generation was the hit from the album and also one of the most memorable songs on the album. What is special about that song is the noisy ending that probably upset a few people back then. But its with The Ox that The Who touches progressive territory. The great instrumental track has lots of distorted guitar and feedback which Im pretty sure wasnt normal at the time. The opening guitar riff from Pete Townshend is really great and Im sure this riff inspired many other bands to try something a little different.

The musicianship is good and even though much of the playing on the album is very basic pop / rock three chord stuff its played with conviction. The bass and the drums are actually pretty dominant which is a great feature in The Whos music. Roger Daltry is an excellent rock singer. Hes got a great voice and of course Pete Townshend needs to be mentioned as well as he does have a special touch when he plays that guitar.

The production is very well done for a sixties production. Very enjoyable.

The cover is pretty typical sixties looking with the band depicted on the cover looking a bit cocky.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised by My Generation even though this is not music Ill be listening to again for quite some time. Ill rate My Generation 2 stars but dont get my wrong here because I do think this album is good, but its not very progressive by todays standards and I normally enjoy music a bit more challenging than this.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#176510) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 11, 2008

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars 2.5 stars really!!!

This group took the world (or at least the rock realm) by storm with the title track of their debut album the anthemic and stuttering My Generation and its uncontrolled feedback in the middle solo. Their sound was brutal up-front in your face and radically new. It's always a little puzzling to see such a hard rocking (with plenty of energy in their music and on stage through the bashing of instruments) group claiming to be a Mod. However huge was My Generation, the surrounding singles like Happy Jack, Substitute, Can't Explain and Anyway, Anyhow were less all-out rockers and much closer to the poppier material, hence the Mod label. So when The Who got the go-ahead to record a full album, instead of placing a good deal of their own singles on the album or covers done in concert, they wrote a bunch of tracks in a hurry and the least we can say is that the results have something unfinished.

While the group was mainly songwriter (and sometimes singer) Pete Townshend's main vehicle, it is hard to imagine The Who without one of the four members as all had their indubitable imprint on the band. Drummer Keith Moon was not only the joker/clown of the band, but he was always from far the most exciting and unorthodox and unpredictable drummer playing with his guts more than through flashy chops and he certainly was very influential in the next generation of drummers. Bassist John Entwhistle is one of the three bassists that rewrote the rock-bass playing book in the mid-60's, along with Jack Casady and Jack Bruce. Not only did he also write the odd tune and sing, but he also played some brass instruments. Townshend was no slouch at his guitar with some techniques and unique to him (the windmill), and he could play a mean solo, but he never sought to be a guitar hero, and was also dabbling in keyboards. I am probably not going to make friends here by saying that Daltrey could be regarded as the weaker link, despite having one great voice, he was thankfully more "instrumental" (pun intended) on stage with a fairly strong presence.

Outside My Generation, you get a bunch of pop rock tracks that lack the real catchy hooks that their singles had, and the covers (like J Brown's I Don't Mind) bring nothing new to the original or even massacring it (Please), but it's mostly the tiny details that will signal the group's future greatness: the short brass interventions courtesy of Entwistle, the non- playing of Townshend when expected, Moon's unorthodox playing or not playing, Townsend's chaotic solos etc?.. This group's mostly onto something different. And it ill be clear in the album's only climax (other than the title track): indeed The Ox is a four-minutes instrumental where session man extraordinaire Nicky Hopkins completes the quartet on piano that's laying the foundations of a future psyched-out hard rock: imagine a hard rock version of Wipe Out with a super bass.. Note that this song's title will become Entwistle's nickname.

I suppose this album has received many reissues with plenty of bonus tracks in which hopefully will stand the aforementioned singles and their B-sides, but probably as well the tracks that didn't appear on the album, depending on which side of the Atlantic you stood at. Sooooo, calling The Who's debut album groundbreaking might seem exaggerated to some, but it has its historical significance in rock music, although for progheads, it will certainly not essential, despite this album's early appearance in the time frame of this site.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#235132) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
2 stars 'My Generation' - The Who (4/10)

In the year 1965, the rock music world was on the brink of a major revolution. Over the course of the next few years, a wave of experimentation, intensity and rejuvenated spirit would take the previously conventional form of rock and turn it on it's side. Although it is essentially an average collection of British pop tunes, The Who's well-known debut album would later go on to be considered the foundation for hard rock in the future. Although tame by today's standards, The Who threw in a gritty sound and crunch that was pretty new and exciting for the time. However, time has not aged this debut well, and the album is a pretty immature bout in relation to their later, stronger works.

The real highlight and reason to check out this debut are in a handful of real standout tracks, including the classic title track 'My Generation,' 'The Kids Are Alright' and the playful 'A Legal Matter.' Much like Led Zeppelin would start off a few years later, The Who are firmly rooted in blues rock here, although the adolescent melodies and catchiness of the British Invasion is here in full force as well. Most of the tracks here are pretty forgettable, although some of the backcatalogue songs here like 'La-La-La-Lies' are pretty endearing pieces of British pop.

Already, Pete Townshend had developed a pretty distinctive, crunchy tone on his guitar, although his skill with the axe seldom shines here. The star of the show here is really Keith Moon, who manages to throw some exciting fills anywhere he can. Pete Entwhistle is rarely heard here in the mix, but he puts an indelible mark here with his famous bass solo on the title track.

'My Generation' isn't an album that I appreciate much beyond it's historical context and a few killer tracks, but as a debut of one of the greatest hard rock bands in history, any fan of the band would do well to check it out.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#362417) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars The Who's debut sees them still in the shadow of other British Invasion bands such as the Beatles, the Kinks, and - more than any other influence - the Rolling Stones. But from a few unusual Townsend guitar departures towards the end, opening song Out in the Street could be a Stones off-cut, as could I Don't Mind (which seems to lift more than a little from the Stones' own Heart of Stone), and The Good's Gone... and, to be honest, most of the album.

The two songs which feel most like the Who on here - My Generation and The Kids Are Alright - are of course excellent, though marred by cheap production standards. But those are readily available on various compilations; as far as the rest of the album goes, it's mostly filler which is pleasant enough if you like mid-60s R&B, but the Stones did it better.

The worst songs on the album are probably the Bo Diddley cover I'm a man and James Brown cover Please, Please, Please, which present renditions that could have been knocked out by any half-decent covers band at the time. It's hard to work out what part of these song is the worst, but particularly embarrassing is Roger Daltery's vocal delivery - maybe the production quality doesn't help, but even so nobody should try to out-soul James Brown, it just isn't possible and you end up looking silly. Best song - aside from My Generation and The Kids Are Alright - is probably The Ox, an instrumental jam which suggests that there might be more to this maximum R&B than just R&B, though even that outstays its welcome (as jams often do).

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#444756) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 09, 2011

2 stars The Who's debut came with the birth of what is known today by "classic rock", this is surely disappointing though, very basic song-writing, mixing r'n'b with rock'n'roll, like all the bands from that time, no wonder that the Beatles were so successful with their psychedelic rock, because this "mo ... (read more)

Report this review (#215357) | Posted by JTP88 | Wednesday, May 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Jamming is good, grape jam jelly jam, this is my jumbled jeneration. The Who Sings My Generation is a fine rock album, to be sure. Even if the vocals are a bit laughable. (B.B King was a mod based Brit?) Well, the harmonies aren't terribly offensive, and it is only '65 by the by. The opener ... (read more)

Report this review (#212780) | Posted by Alitare | Wednesday, April 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After two successful singles, I Can't Explain and Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, The Who wrote their third one, the legendary rock anthem My Generation. Being probably the best known song by the band, it featured the infamous line 'I hope I die before I get old'. The song featured Pete's crazy riffs, ... (read more)

Report this review (#181788) | Posted by In the Flesh? | Friday, September 05, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation"