Saga - In Transit CD (album) cover

IN TRANSIT

Saga

friso
4 stars Saga - In Transit (live) 1981. Reading the year on 1981 on the flip side of the cover of my vinyl record doesn't make me feel very comfortable.. this is eighties rock! I first had a hard rime listening to this record for it really has an eighties feel. In addition to that the vocal are a bit strange, but I can't think of a resembling voice. Quite high and polished, not very direct. The guitars sound like polished metal (which is actually very nice after some listens) and the drums an keys sound like one would expect from an eighties band. The special elements of Saga are the double solo parts with guitar and keyboards playing the same fast melodies. This gives a very nice, recognisable sound. The progstyle would be between crossover and neo-prog, in the latter they must have played an important role, for they introduced their sound in 1978, which is years before Marillion did. The Neo-prog lable would be well deserved on this live record. The recognisable senthisizors are there abd the theatric vocals are present. Somehow the guitar parts are bit to rocky (not symphonic enough with lots delays and reverb) to complete the musical spectrum.

The songs grew on me. I'll take a song like Humble Stance as a example. It first I was really bothered by the opening melodies that sound terribly poppy. But as the song evolves this truly turned out to be a neo-prog swansong. The melodies are a bit changed with some more serious chords and after that the solo parts are great, while the ending is emotional and touchy. These compositions seem to show their true potential in the middle and ending parts of the songs. As soon as I realised that I even started to like the beginnings of the songs, even the strange happy intro of Humble Stance (wich turned out to be brilliant!). As this process of growing into this record took place I really got to adore it. It has technical showoff, it has emotion, great songs and SAGA plays flawless. This must have been a great show to see back then. They sure sound professional!

For this rare ability of Saga, featured on In Transit, to change my mind on eighties prog I must give for stars. I don't know whether I want more of Saga or not, but maybe some day I will buy more of their records. I can recommend this to neo-proggers intensly and for the normal progfan in general. Very nice! Four stars, actually 3.8 stars.

friso | 4/5 |