IN TRANSIT

Search SAGA In Transit tabs

- Ian Crichton / guitar
- Jim Crichton / synthesizer, bass, keyboards
- Jim Gilmour / clarinet, keyboards, vocals
- Steve Negus / percussion, drums, drums (electric)
- Michael Sadler / keyboards, vocals

Released: August, 1982
Recorded: Copenhagen, Munich

CD Polydor 800 100-2 (1994)
CD Maze/Kraze 1073

and to gchristi for the last updates

SAGA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SAGA In Transit Music

Imports 1994
House of CardsHouse of Cards
Import · Limited Edition
Imports 2001
Forever Love Songs From The Twilight Saga Soundtrack 2 CD Set Sealed New 2014 US $8.58 Buy It Now 1h 19m
P. DIDDY & THE BAD BOY FAMILY THE SAGA CONTINUES 2001 PROMO LP RARE!! US $9.98 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Saga - 20:20 NEW CD US $15.59 Buy It Now 2h
MUSIC FOR FLUTE & ORGAN, LINDE RAPF -UK LP SAGA 5414 US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Jean Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Legends, Op 22; En Saga, Op 9 (CD, 1992, Sony Music) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Saga - The Saga Softworks ( anthology ) RARE OOP ORIG Import CD (Brand New!) US $28.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
NEW 5.Sinfonie/En Saga by Compact Disc Book Free Shipping US $28.12 Buy It Now 2h 25m
SAGA Heads Or Tales LP 1983 Maze Records Canada VG/VG+ Vinyl Album Rock Band US $6.29 Buy It Now 2h 35m
SAGA,SYNOPSIS,3 TRACK 45RPM PS EP,POLYDOR,POSPX 228 US $8.27 [0 bids]
3h
SAGA XID 5226 BEETHOVEN piano trio THE BOISE PIANO TRIO US $11.13 Buy It Now 3h 13m
HANDEL 2 Sonatas TELEMANN 3 Trio Sonatas Mannheim Vinyl LP SAGA PAN6004 US $26.51 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Hawkwind Live Chronicles DVD The Saga of Elric of Meinibone 4 Unreleased Tracks US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 15m
The Saga Continues [PA] by Diddy (CD 2001, Bad Boy Entertainment) US $0.89 [0 bids]
ELIWAGAR (Nor) ...Fjellfolk Saga Fra Forntiden ISENGARD US $11.50 Buy It Now 3h 42m
M8L8TH - MOLOTH - Black Marsh Saga NEW DIGI CD (lim. to 1000) TEMNOZOR NEZHEGOL US $23.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
FRO CLASSIC MOODY BLUES HITS ROCK CD JUSTIN HAYWARD & FRIENDS SAGA US $16.56 [0 bids]
SAGA - SAGACITY (2014 CD - 2xCD LIMITED VERSION) US $18.22 [0 bids]
The Saga Continues [PA] by Diddy (CD, May-2005, Bad Boy Entertainment) US $3.33 [0 bids]
The Twilight Saga Eclipse Soundtrack CD Sealed ! US $6.44 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Eileen Joyce Plays Best Loved Piano Gems..1961 Made in England Saga Records VG++ US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
London Harpsichord Ensemble John Tunnel Saga UK LP 1964 Bach US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Christopher Woods Harpsichord Handel Saga UK LP 1961 US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 26m
John Ireland Songs John Shirley-Quirk Saga XID 5207 1963 LP US $4.97 Buy It Now 4h 33m
DECCA LXT 2776 *VAN BEINUM* CONDUCTS *SIBELIUS EN SAGA & TAPIOLA* COA* NM US $4.96 Buy It Now 4h 34m
JELLY ROLL MORTON "The Saga Of Mr Jelly Lord Vo l3" LP 1950 Circle L 14008 MONO US $12.95 Buy It Now 5h 26m
The Saga Continues [PA] by Diddy CD (May-2005, Bad Boy Entertainment) Puff NR 4 US $6.25 [0 bids]
Nielsen: Aladdin Suite; Pan and Syrinx; Saga Deam; Maskarade Overture; Helios Ov US $8.31 Buy It Now 5h 37m
QUINCY JONES ROOTS A & M SP 4626 1977 SAGA OF AN AMERICAN FAMILY COVER IN EXCELL US $3.99 [0 bids]
Saga Heads or Tales Vinyl LP Record Portrait Records 1983 Shrink VG++ US $6.75 Buy It Now 5h 59m
JELLY ROLL MORTON The Saga of Mister Jelly Lord Vinyl LP Joker SM3551 US $16.56 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Sibelius: Symphony no 5, En saga / Vladimir Ashkenazy (CD, London/Decca) US $0.01 [0 bids]
SAGA SJOBERG & KAI SODERMAN SONGS OF SWEDEN LP MONITOR US $5.98 Buy It Now 6h 51m
ATL-PRO-2102 SAGA Only Time Will Tell b/w .... OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
SAGA**HOUSE OF CARDS**CD US $11.01 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Screw Theory Screw Theory: The Saga Continues CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 8h 10m
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 The Score Carter Burwell-CRACKED CASE US $5.96 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Da Saga Continues by Poppa Doo (CD, Jun-1994, Critique Records) US $2.99 [0 bids]
QUINCY JONES Roots The Saga of an American Family LP AM SP4626 Poster album US $4.07 Buy It Now 8h 33m
SAGA Heads or Tales vinyl LP EX 1983 US $4.95 Buy It Now 8h 43m
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON - Official Motion Picture Soundtrack US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 55m
saga maze lp canada '79 orig w/inner lyric images at twilight vinyl ml8002 rare! US $23.00 Buy It Now 9h 8m
SAGA "Marathon" Import CD SPV PROG (Rush, FM, Styx, Jadis, Cairo, Yes, Triumph) US $14.99 [0 bids]
SAGA 10,000 Days CD PROG SPV (Enchant, Rush, Jadis, Cairo, Styx, Gentle Giant)) US $19.99 [0 bids]
EX 1985 Saga Behavior lp PROMO US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Droo Ill / D - Saga: Somebody's housing my bed 12" 12inch record single 5f US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 35m
WOW! Saga Ken by Hanawa (CD 2003) Super RARE! Japan! US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
SAGA LP PROMO WILDEST DREAMS ONLY TIME WILL TELL 0911 R VG/EX C VG (LP-6705) US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 26m
RCAEN SAGA Paradise Is California CD US $8.40 Buy It Now 10h 43m
30 LPs - Nine (9) Artists - Rush Yes Genesis Asia ELP Triumph Saga + US $150.00 Buy It Now 10h 50m
Twilight Saga: New Moon CD - Original Soundtrack US $1.99 [0 bids]
Twilight Saga: New Moon CD - The Score by Alexandre Desplat US $2.99 [0 bids]
Islandica, Melodia, Saga Songs; Icelandic Folk Music, 3 CD Set US $35.99 Buy It Now 12h 14m
Excellent Copy - 1983 FR 38999 - Saga - Heads Or Tales - Masterdisk HW US $14.50 Buy It Now 12h 25m
Excellent Vinyl - 1978 German Import 2417 328 - Saga - Self Titled s/t US $18.50 Buy It Now 12h 25m
V/A-filter..killing music-DJ Q/D*NOTE/CHICANE/KID LOOPS/SUNSHIP/BOX SAGA-UK 2xLP US $6.88 Buy It Now 13h 5m
COLIN DAVIS / SIBELIUS Karelia Suite / Valse Triste / En Saga PHILIPS Holland NM US $8.99 Buy It Now 13h 10m
The Saga Continues [PA] by Diddy (CD, May-2005, Bad Boy Entertainment) US $0.99 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Liszt PIANO cto no.1 etc SERGIO FIORENTINO (AUGUSTE DU MAURIER) Saga 5008 STEREO US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 54m
Brahms CELLO sonatas JANOS STARKER Abba BOGIN piano Saga STXID 5164 STEREO ! US $19.99 Buy It Now 14h 54m
The Dark Saga [Bonus Tracks ICED EARTH cd FREE SHIPPING US $10.99 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Sibelius Finlandia,En Saga,Tapiola Karajan Music Cassette EMI Label US $4.96 Buy It Now 15h 39m
Saga(Vinyl LP)Behaviour-Polydor-825 840-1-Germany-VG/Ex US $11.59 Buy It Now 16h 16m
J. Sibelius - Sym 5(Orig.)/Sym 5/En Saga CD US $23.19 Buy It Now 16h 31m
TWILIGHT SAGA FOREVER LOVE SONGS FROM TWILIGHT SAGA VARIOUS ARTISTS 2 CD NEW US $23.38 Buy It Now 17h 25m
The Forsyte Saga - Music from the TV Series CD (Universal/Granada 2002 U.K.) US $18.70 Buy It Now 17h 40m
Bartok - String Quartet No.3 & 4 - Fine Arts Quartet - Saga - XID5204 (LP) US $6.62 Buy It Now 17h 44m
Beethoven - Piano Trio B Flat Major - Boise Trio - Saga - XID5226 (LP) US $1.64 Buy It Now 18h 6m
Various(Vinyl LP)Our Best Loved Hymns-Saga-SOC 1057-UK-VG-/VG US $16.56 Buy It Now 18h 6m
CHARLIE PARKER volume 5: bird and diz SAGA 6910 near mint disc uk LP PS NM/EX US $27.41 Buy It Now 18h 10m
WIZARD Cosmic Saga CD SINGLE Green Freak Groovy Morning Rain 6 trks MINT US $5.61 Buy It Now 18h 27m
RK'S/AUSTERITY/JS/ZERO GRAVITY SAGA - Tape Fresser Vol 1 - hand-numbered 12" US $19.05 Buy It Now 18h 28m
POPPA DOO - "DA SAGA CONTINUES" (BRAND NEW & SEALED) US $5.49 Buy It Now 18h 46m
HUGH E. PORTER & HIS GOSPEL SINGERS Spirituals SAGA RECORDS VINYL LP US $14.91 Buy It Now 18h 59m
SERGIO & ODAIR ASSAD "Saga Dos Migrantes" (CD 1996) Piazzolla ***GREAT SHAPE*** US $8.88 Buy It Now 19h 15m
Clipse - Re-Up Gang - The Saga Continues (2008) NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.55 Buy It Now 19h 22m
BEETHOVEN VIOLIN C LP LOVEDAY SAGA XID 5025 NM- ENGLAND US $4.96 Buy It Now 19h 55m
TOO SHORT - FREAKY TALES (THE SAGA CONTINUES) PT. 2 EX/VG++ rare PROMO!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 4m
Robert Still Symphony No 3 in C LSO Eugene Goossens 1966 Saga Stereo XID 5256 US $16.58 Buy It Now 20h 32m
TWILIGHT SAGA MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE SONG BOOK PIANO SOLOS US $23.37 Buy It Now 22h
CLASSIC ROCK LOT OF 25 VINYL RECORDS - NEIL YOUNG, YES, WINGS, SAGA, ZZ TOP. US $24.95 [0 bids]
Colin Wilke, Shirley Hart & Katie Lucy(Vinyl LP)Songs Of Mother Ireland-Saga-SOC US $13.25 Buy It Now 22h 11m
ROSTROPOVICH - SAINT-SAENS cello concerto PROKOFIEV cello sonata SAGA LP EX+ US $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 12m
RICHTER, BORODIN QUARTET - BRAHMS piano quintet SAGA UK LP EX US $20.00 Buy It Now 22h 13m
SIBELIUS Symphony no.3 - En Saga / OKKO KAMU DG 2530 426 NM US $4.00 [0 bids]
SAGA - 20/20 - NEW CD - RARE !!! SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 22h 28m
Saga XID 5202 Stereo LP NM - Christopher Wood: Handel Suites for Harpsichord US $5.00 Buy It Now 22h 28m
JOHN WILLIAMS Conducting the STAR WARS SAGA Music Boston Pops Orchestra US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 34m
Saga - The Human Condition CD (Rare Collectable Promo) *MINT* US $12.99 [0 bids]
SAGA IMAGES AT TWILIGHT 1979 GERMANY POLYDOR VINYL LP* NM VINYL EX SLEEVE ITEM US $13.18 Buy It Now 22h 59m
SAGA, WORLDS APART, Vinyl, LP, ARR 38246 US $0.99 [0 bids]
JOHN WILLIAMS Conducting the STAR WARS SAGA Music Boston Pops Orchestra US $15.99 [0 bids]
Bertone : Music of the Star Wars Saga CD (2000) US $3.98 Buy It Now 1 day
FRENCH HARP MUSIC Ravel/Debussy/Saint-Saens/Faure SAGA RECORDS VINYL LP XID 5240 US $14.91 Buy It Now 1 day
SAGA LP ALBUM SILENT NIGHT US $4.96 [0 bids]
THE TWILIGHT SAGA BREAKING DAWN PART 1 SOUNDTRACK SEALED CD NEW 2011 US $6.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Beethoven: Pianoforte Sonata No 29 Hammerklavier- Louis Kentner XID 5238 Saga LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Britten: Phantasy Quartet- Galimir String Quartet- Gomberg XID 5259 Saga LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
SAGA "ON THE LOOSE" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
josh white & leadbelly with there guitars 1968 uk saga label vinyl lp ero 8027 US $16.58 Buy It Now 1 day
Intelligent Hoodlum - Tragedy (Saga Of A Hoodlum) (Hip Hop Cassette) *Used* US $12.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy SAGA music online Buy SAGA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SAGA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SAGA In Transit ratings distribution

SAGA In Transit reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars Most Torontonians were evidently proud that Styx opened for Saga in continental Europe and in big conert hall, but we didn't understand why , though. In Toronto , they were definitely less popular than Rush , Triumph and Max Webster. This was starting to appeal more to new wave fans than to real bona-fide rockers.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#17565) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Review by greenback
4 stars This is one of the best progressive live albums: all the tracks sound as good as the studio ones, sometimes better! The tracks are taken from the 4 first studio albums: they choose the very accessible and catchy ones, so that this album could be good for any Saga beginner: there are "How long", "Don't be late", "On the loose" and "Humble stance", among others. All the instruments are very well balanced. There is even an EXCELLENT electronic drums solo. The very participating crowd is quite enthusiastic. Some bits are even better than on the studio album, like the very spacy part and the Van Halen-esque guitar solo on "Humble stance", or the floating bit with clarinet on "No regrets".

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#17570) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 31, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars It's an Excellent Rock Live Concert .

It's Saturday morning and I opened the day with a limited ed. CD of Arena "Pepper's Ghost" (third spin) at my CD player, turned my power amps with loud volume. Uugh . what an excellent album! I listened it in its entirety. (At the same time I received a short message on my mobile phone from my prog mate, Imam, telling me that he was rocking with Rush in Rio DVD). I then drove my 7th grade daughter, Dian, to school while playing Uriah Heep's "Sea of Light" - for a change as I have been listening too much "prog" so I need something like a hard driving music to elevate my spirit. Btw, she's got used to with her dad's rocking style - so don't worry she is okey with Uriah Heep. I'm fired up man. Right after I dropped her at school, "It's another time to rock man .! Yeah .." And I don't know why I changed the CD at my car's magazine with SAGA "In Transit" and I turned the volume completely LOUD because I was the only one in my car (freedooooom..!!!) and the street that I was driving was not congested with traffic. Yeah man . SAGA makes my day! Well, I knew SAGA for the first time through this album and it BLEW me away .. I love live records and this record is so excellent, energetic and delivered excellently by the band. I think this album is one of the best rock live records I have ever known so far. By the time I knew this album, I never listened to the band's studio album. [My dear readers, big apology for a very long background I keyed in the beginning. I'm just trying to project the nuance where I spin this CD as music has always colored my day-to-day life. No music no life.]. Let's talk about the album in great details .

This live record starts off with MC's short rocking speech "Ladies and gentlemen would you welcome ..SAGA .!!!" followed with noisy hand clapping from the crowd (I like it man!). It continues with single layer keyboard punch followed with solo and louder hand clapping and shouting from the crowd and drum set's high-hat work followed with drumming and bass. It remarks the performance of first track Careful Where You Step wonderfully. What a lively rock concert nuance I can sense right here from the CD! I can not imagine if I was there in the concert, I would sing a long with the band man . The lead singer enters the music with a powerful and energetic vocal. This song is packed with great keyboard, sometimes in staccato styles and stunning guitar. The music passage that starts from minute [2:10] until end is so powerful for my personal taste as it has so many catchy segments as results of intertwining sounds of keyboard, guitar and drum. It kills my heart (not joking) really. So melodic and powerful, performed in progressive style at its best!

The second track Don't Be Late flows seamlessly from the opening track. At the opening part it consists of voice line accompanied with inventive keyboard sound and high-hat sounds from drum set. Unlike the first track, this one is performed in slow-moderate tempo style with great keyboard work at background and its dynamic play during transition pieces. Guitar solo takes its part nicely in the middle of the track. An excellent track.

Humble Stance is truly a KILLER! Yeah man . this is my best favorite SAGA songs I have ever known so far! "And the next tune ..is from album number one. It's called Humble Stance" - followed with heavy clapping / shouting from the crowd and a catchy keyboard intro. Oh man .. I love this sound! The clapping getting louder and the drum sound enters the music wonderfully followed with a combination of guitar and keyboard. Lead singer enters the music in his energetic singing style with very strong accentuation at the end part of lyrical phrases. Again, this track is packed with catchy melodies with excellent combination of keyboard and guitar for both roles: as rhythm section or as solo. Melodic but energetic style of composition.

Wind Him Up starts with an uplifting mood with more upbeat tempo. It contains wonderful keyboard and guitar works with a sort of electric drum sound. The music flow in relatively straight forward structure. It features some catchy melody and nice solos. The guitar rhythm sounds like a soft riffs especially in transitions. The guitar solo in the middle of the track augmented with keyboard is stunning. Drums also demonstrate its dynamic play.

The next song How Long kicks off with unique keyboard sound accompanied by drumming. The vocal enters the music with solid accentuation singing style. The interlude contains harmonious sounds of guitar and keyboard. It continues with a mellow track exploring keyboard / effects and vocals under No Regrets. The show continues with the band's communication with the crowd "Are You Ready?" continued with amazing drum solo under A Brief Case. Excellent solo rich with variations. It continues with soft guitar riffs that remark the start of You're Not Alone, performed in medium-fast tempo with multi vocals. The show concludes with On The Loose.

Recommended. This live album is I think accessible to wider rock music buffs - be it progger or non-progger - as it's so lively and so attractive. Uhm .. I wrote this view with deep emotional involvement as I feel like I'm part of the crowd who watch the band plays live. Keep on proggin' .!!!

Progressively yours,

GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#17572) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 09, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars This is the only album from Saga that survived in my progrock LP collection, for me it is a perfect compilation of their best compositions. Saga had a fresh and dynamic sound, based upon lush keyboard work (four members play keyboards, even the drummer has a Micro- moog!), distinctive guitar play (the deaden of the strings reminds me of Al DiMeola) and a tight and propulsive rhythm-section. The vocals are powerful and very pleasant to hear. The nine tracks on this album are scouting the borders between pop, rock and symphonic often featuring swinging and catchy rhytms, strong and spectacular soli on keyboards and guitar and great interplay between all the musicians. Every song has its own colouring and dynamics. In "Don't be late" first mellow with beautiful strings and a bit melancholical vocals, then halfway an exciting accellaration delivering sensational synthesizer flights and a harder-edged guitar solo. In "Humble stance" a heavy guitar solo follows a spectacular synthesizer solo, culminating in a captivating duel. The mellow track "No regrets" contains Supertramp-like electric piano along clarinet and romantic vocals. The short but very catchy drum solo in "A brief case" evokes warm crowd participation, in my opinion the drummer must have been inspired by fellow Canadian Neil Peart. My favorite on this live- album is "You're not alone": it starts with a heavy guitar riff, followed by a catchy rhythm featuring a splendid vocal performance and compelling interplay between the rhythm- section, keyboards and guitar. Halfway Ian Crichton caresses the ears with a fiery electric guitar solo, so powerful and distinctive! And again the enthousiastic crowd participation emphasized what a stunning live-act Saga was. A GREAT LIVE RECORD!!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#41691) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2005

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars I'd like to talk about SAGA (which I listened in my early teens) in general because, even if the band has been active to these days, I feel them belonging tightly to the early eighties rock scene. I'm advicing that if you are an 80's hater, forget about SAGA. Would I sound ridiculous if I described SAGA as a cross between SCORPIONS and ULTRAVOX of the time? I mean a mix of 80's hard rock and synth pop, plus some sophisticated side to it, say TWELFTH NIGHT meets SUPERTRAMP. But on this live album the material has emphasis on catchy synth-driven hard rock numbers like 'Wind Him Up' and 'You're Not Alone' and therefor a slightly narrower pallette than on Saga's studio albums. Yes, there is the peaceful 'No Regrets', but not e.g. 'Images' or 'Time to Go'.

'Don't Be Late', one of my favourite Saga songs, is a perfect example of the 80's feel, deliciously dramatic with whispered lines and all. The same about the ending of 'Humble Stance': slow synth pulse; "aa-aah, there's no one going to help you... aa- aah, there's no one going to [whispered again] HELP YOU...." Yeah! Maybe corny but sorta lovely. On the whole... (while others praise this to be technically superior to studio material, and in a way they're right I guess), borrowing this live album maybe wasn't as fond a nostalgic rendez-vous as SAGA's studio albums might have been. A couple more listens and goodbye again.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#70400) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 24, 2006

Review by Melomaniac
4 stars The timing for the release of Saga's first live album could not have been better, as it was recorded on the heels of their most successful album and it caught the band in excellent form. The sound is great, the song selection is excellent, containing some of the strongest moments of their four previous studio recordings, and every member's performance is almost flawless, proving without a shadow of doubt just how good musicians these guys are, and it's not only a studio affair, far from it. The crowd is ecstatic throughout, and one will understand why when listening. I wish this show had been captured on video, it would have been awesome. My only complaint about this album is IT'S TOO DAMN SHORT !!! It could have been a double disc affair and it would have been as good, if not better. It is worthy of mention to say that this album is the first album recorded entirely on digital equipment ever.

One of my favorite live albums, one of the best of the 80's and the only thing stopping me from giving this five stars is that it's a live album, therefore conhtains no new material, except for that drum solo-duet 'A Brief Case'. 4.5 stars.

Send comments to Melomaniac (BETA) | Report this review (#100870) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Review by progrules
4 stars Funny enough this was my first encounter with Saga and it truly conquered my heart. After this I bought almost everything they realeased though I must say my enthusiasm didn't exactly rise with each new one. To me their peak lies in the beginning of their carreer.

And that's the period of this live album. This album has a great build up and the reaction of the enthusiastic audience works really nice for me. It was recorded in Germany and Saga has always been huge there. Especially the 2nd, 3rd and 4th track are real classics in Saga's live gigs of which I had the privilege to witness 5 of. So no wonder the audience goes into raptures after the 4th song. Then come 3 songs of lesser impact before the album closes down with two classics again.

Terrific live album by Saga deserving 4 stars easily.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#150954) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 15, 2007

Review by friso
4 stars Saga - In Transit (live) 1981. Reading the year on 1981 on the flip side of the cover of my vinyl record doesn't make me feel very comfortable.. this is eighties rock! I first had a hard rime listening to this record for it really has an eighties feel. In addition to that the vocal are a bit strange, but I can't think of a resembling voice. Quite high and polished, not very direct. The guitars sound like polished metal (which is actually very nice after some listens) and the drums an keys sound like one would expect from an eighties band. The special elements of Saga are the double solo parts with guitar and keyboards playing the same fast melodies. This gives a very nice, recognisable sound. The progstyle would be between crossover and neo-prog, in the latter they must have played an important role, for they introduced their sound in 1978, which is years before Marillion did. The Neo-prog lable would be well deserved on this live record. The recognisable senthisizors are there abd the theatric vocals are present. Somehow the guitar parts are bit to rocky (not symphonic enough with lots delays and reverb) to complete the musical spectrum.

The songs grew on me. I'll take a song like Humble Stance as a example. It first I was really bothered by the opening melodies that sound terribly poppy. But as the song evolves this truly turned out to be a neo-prog swansong. The melodies are a bit changed with some more serious chords and after that the solo parts are great, while the ending is emotional and touchy. These compositions seem to show their true potential in the middle and ending parts of the songs. As soon as I realised that I even started to like the beginnings of the songs, even the strange happy intro of Humble Stance (wich turned out to be brilliant!). As this process of growing into this record took place I really got to adore it. It has technical showoff, it has emotion, great songs and SAGA plays flawless. This must have been a great show to see back then. They sure sound professional!

For this rare ability of Saga, featured on In Transit, to change my mind on eighties prog I must give for stars. I don't know whether I want more of Saga or not, but maybe some day I will buy more of their records. I can recommend this to neo-proggers intensly and for the normal progfan in general. Very nice! Four stars, actually 3.8 stars.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#231199) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars I'm still puzzled as to why I chose this album as my introduction to Saga. This idea gets even more confusion considering that In Transit is a live album. Yes, it contains many of the so-called hits but why then not pick a compilation? Anyway...

The live album has some catchy songs but nothing that gives me a feeling that I would actually be interested in hearing any of the studio releases. Don't Be Late and You're Not Alone are two very strong '80s-flavored rock compositions but besides the cheerful fans who sing along to these choruses I doubt that fans of progressive rock would have much to gain by hearing this or any other Saga recording.

This is definitely not the best introduction to Saga and their music but if you are a fan then you will definitely find a lot of pleasure by hearing some of your favorite Saga compositions performed in such a joyful setting. Therefor I consider it fair to rate it as a collectors/fans only release.

**** star songs: Don't Be Late (6:20) Wind Him Up (5:48) You're Not Alone (5:48)

*** star songs: Careful Where You Step (4:32) Humble Stance (6:02) How Long (3:47) No Regrets (4:21) A Brief Case (2:13) On The Loose (5:21)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#259611) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars A brief but solid case

Hearing this classic live album for the first time after having reviewed all the studio albums by Saga (with the sole exception of Steel Umbrellas that I haven't managed to find yet) was a very pleasant surprise. Even though this live album fails to include all of the best and most progressive songs from Saga's first four studio albums, it does succeed in leaving out the bad ones that plagued some of those albums. The set list here is admittedly very short, but runs like something of a greatest hits collection with such all-time Saga classics as Don't Be Late, Humble Stance, Wind Him Up, How Long and On The Loose. Indeed, all of the eight songs featured on this live recording (the cleverly titled A Brief Case is a short drum solo) are just simply great and these live recordings are consistently better than their studio counterparts. No Regrets is the only ballad included here and it is a rather untypical Saga song as it does not have Michael Sadler on lead vocals but Jim Gilmour who also plays the clarinet in the song.

What makes this live album stand out is that compared to the studio versions, there is more energy, passion and punch in these live versions. The band is simply on fire here! The recording is very polished and if it wasn't for the very discrete audience noise, one could easily mistake this for a studio recording. I'm reminded slightly of Judas Priest's controversial Unleashed In The East live album. As I mentioned above, these songs are perhaps not the most progressive songs from the first four Saga albums, but I would still say that In Transit is a very good introduction to early Saga and generally better than the studio albums from which the selections were taken.

Highly recommended!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#510258) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 27, 2011

3 stars The test of time. This was one of my favorite live album for over twenty years. I picked it up again just recently to see if it has survived the test of time. The answer is..........no. Saga was in my world one of the very few prog rock bands I was listening too. I was more into the like of ... (read more)

Report this review (#188155) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, November 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A SAGA IN TRANSIT Apparentely a great Neo Prog live "In Transit" is also a great Classic Metal album. The mix of this two elements are the Class Metal ingredients (see "Magnum"). For sure this live album is good for a great Prog moments. But also for metallers Saga is an interesting band. But ... (read more)

Report this review (#146196) | Posted by Lady In Black | Sunday, October 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Here's another epic live album - so good that it's better than the studio versions. The sound is just so big and clean, the playing is so tight, and the atmosphere so thick... This is surely one of rock's most glorious moments, right up there with Seconds Out, Exit Stage Left, Yessongs and Wel ... (read more)

Report this review (#17573) | Posted by EMinkovitch | Tuesday, May 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Recorded in Live in Denmark on the 1981 World's Apart tour this is a good example of the band in concert just after gaining popularity on FM radio. They reproduce the music effectively in a live environment and it is very well recieved by the somewhat more demanding European audience. On The Loos ... (read more)

Report this review (#17568) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Sunday, November 28, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SAGA "In Transit"