Devin Townsend - Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) CD (album) cover

ADDICTED (DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT)

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Prog Leviathan
3 stars Another interesting change in direction (though not of iconic sound) takes this Devin Townsend release into somewhat bland and unchallenging territory, offering a set of loud, bombastic, heavy-handed songs which feel is like an attempt to make his sound more accessible... but this is Devin Townsend we're talking about-- so it's never that simple!

"Addicted" uses a huge, highly produced guitar sound grinding out a shattering wall of sound backed by very loud drums and effects blasting out dance-beats and rather empty- headed grooves. For the first half of the album we are bombarded by what is essentually the same crunchy sound to a repetative beat. His lyrics and vocals are fine, although this first half is all screaming (and I mean screaming), and the endless guitar chugging will probably test one's endurance more than get their mojo moving. Giersbergen's feminine vocals add a nice new element to the mix, mostly there to lend a pop feel to the tunes. There's nuance to many of the songs, but this is essentually Devin's iconic metal sound forced into a pair of trendy hip-hugger jeans; it doesn't quite fit, but somehow demands one's gaze.

The mighty "Supercrush!" stands out as an early highlight thanks to its good chorus, and "Addictided" turns a corner shortly thereafter (although the remix of "Hyperdrive" is a misfire-- if Dream Theater has shown us one thing, it's never but bits of other [better] albums into mediocre releases). Once we're finally given a chance to catch our breath with the mellow "Ih-Ah!" it feels like the songwriting picks up noticebly. Thoughtful, somewhat varied compositions follow with a greater depth in sound and vocals. These are the reason for getting "Addicted", it's just a shame we have to sit through the noisy lead-up.

"Addicted" is vastly unsatisfying compared to Devin's other releases; although it has some merit, most listener's will simply find the bombast of the songs boring. The "pop" aspects to this record are certainly tongue-in-cheek, so I don't take them too seriously, but I expect something memorable at least, and "Addicted" is just loud. Unless one is already of fan of Townsend-- it'd be best to avoid getting "Addicted".

Songwriting 2 Instrumental Performances 3 Lyrics/Vocals 3 Style/Emotion/Replay 3

Prog Leviathan | 3/5 |