ADDICTED (DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT)

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Devin Townsend Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) album cover

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Music
Studio Album, released in 2009

1. Addicted! (5:37)
2. Universe In A Ball! (4:09)
3. Bend It Like Bender! (3:37)
4. Supercrush! (5:13)

- Mark Cimino / guitar, gang vocals
- Anneke van Giersbergen / vocals

Additional musicians:
- Dave Young / additional keys
- Susanne Richter / additional vocals on (7)
- Rob Cunningham, Hugh Gilmartin, John Rafferty, Brian Johnson / additional gang vocals

Available November 2009 on HevyDevy Records.

Thanks to npoczynek for the addition
and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

DEVIN TOWNSEND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Presents: Ziltoid the OmniscientPresents: Ziltoid the Omniscient
Inside Out Music 2009
InfinityInfinity
Extra tracks
Inside Out U.S. 2003

More places to buy DEVIN TOWNSEND music online Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEVIN TOWNSEND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEVIN TOWNSEND Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) ratings distribution

DEVIN TOWNSEND Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) reviews

Review by Negoba
4 stars Among Devy's Best - Just Get It

So here we are, album #2 of metal's maturing wunderkid's new sober project. The first album, Ki, was one of his most experimental albums. On this one, Addicted, Devy just wanted to make music that felt good. Townsend has sent out so many warnings (mainly to metal fans) that this was going to be just bubble gummy pop that you had to know he was secretly hiding something. That something happens to be the best album he's ever made in terms of pure musical pleasure. What I've always loved Devy for is his ability to make beautiful heavy music, something that is amazingly hard to find. On Addicted, he's tapped fully into that muse and the result is, at least for me, pure joy.

This is not Terria 2. It is not nearly as musically or emotionally complex. Instead, it points back to Ocean Machine, but with more insight into production, the world, and songwriting. Despite all that Devin has to offer, he enlists Anneke from the Gathering as a second lead singer, and her voice is an enormous part of why this album is so gorgeous. The songs she sings lead along (a new version of "Hyperdrive" and "Numbered") are highlight tracks, and Devin the engineer manages to merge the very different voices to great effect. Devin's voice (maybe related to the sobriety / no smoking thing) is perhaps the best it has ever been on record. He uses a wide breadth of timbres, but it his clear singing voice that is so amazing here.

The standout track is "Supercrush" which almost brings me to tears. Devy released a video of himself tracking the vocals, and even then you got a sense that the track was good. Here, with the two singers both at their emotionally dripping peaks, the song reveals itself as an immensely powerful piece that earns its name. Certainly, the whole album reverts back to Devy's signature "wall of sound" and as always there is so much going on that the listener can be overwhelmed or at worst distracted. Again, there is video of Devy walking through the ProTools tracks that is just breathtaking. But what is clear is that massive amounts of music are happening on this record that you can barely even hear.

This is not Devin's most ambitious or progressive record. But it has more love and joy than most artists' entire discographies. In an amazing 2009, this is among the best.

Post script...if you don't like Devy, this one is not going to change your mind. It's Devy taking his signature sound and honing it. But if you like his sound, get ready.

Send comments to Negoba (BETA) | Report this review (#251581) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Addicted' - Devin Townsend (6/10)

Earlier this year, one of my favourite artists and musicians Devin Townsend released an album that was generally thought to be pleasant, but alienated alot of the man's existing fanbase. While I personally have nothing against 'Ki' and openly welcomed his change of pace, alot of people will be happy to know that Townsend is back to a more familiar trademark sound on this one, but with a twist...

The second addition to Devin's new drug-free project is chock full of nuances and sounds that will conjure up thoughts of previous works like 'Ocean Machine' or even some of the more melodic material from his metal flagship band Strapping Young Lad...

The twist is that it actually manages to incorperate dance music elements into progressive metal. With that in mind, it's suprising the album actually works as a whole. 'Addicted' has a very big emphasis on catchiness and hooky melodies; this works as a double-edged sword both for and against the album. On one hand, 'Addicted' is undoubtedly one of the most 'fun' and instantly gratifying albums I own. In other words, it would be the perfect soundtrack for a party.

On the other hand, the fact that 'Addicted' gives everything it has in the first few listens really takes its toll on the lasting appeal. Sure, there is the vast multi-tracking 'wall of sound' that gives alot of sonic depth to the music, but emotionally, the impact compared to 'Terria' for example is almost negligible. There are some great beauty moments here however, from the stunning chorus of 'Numbered!' to the powerful 'Supercrush!'

The choice to have Annekke Van Giersbergen as a vocalist on this album was a great one. She has the perfect voice to compliment the melodies that Devin has crafted here, and while much of her role on this album is dedicated to soft beauty moments or peppy pop choruses, she pulls off a stunning performance in the new rendition of the song 'Hyperdrive!' which some will instantly recognize as a track originally from 'Ziltoid The Omniscient.'

With yet another album under his belt, Devin Townsend shows us that he isn't willing to become a one-track gimmick. From the intelligence and introspective mood on 'Ki' and now the overly peppy and dance metal tunes of 'Addicted,' one can only guess what the next album will bring to our ears.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#254293) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 04, 2009

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars Another interesting change in direction (though not of iconic sound) takes this Devin Townsend release into somewhat bland and unchallenging territory, offering a set of loud, bombastic, heavy-handed songs which feel is like an attempt to make his sound more accessible... but this is Devin Townsend we're talking about-- so it's never that simple!

"Addicted" uses a huge, highly produced guitar sound grinding out a shattering wall of sound backed by very loud drums and effects blasting out dance-beats and rather empty- headed grooves. For the first half of the album we are bombarded by what is essentually the same crunchy sound to a repetative beat. His lyrics and vocals are fine, although this first half is all screaming (and I mean screaming), and the endless guitar chugging will probably test one's endurance more than get their mojo moving. Giersbergen's feminine vocals add a nice new element to the mix, mostly there to lend a pop feel to the tunes. There's nuance to many of the songs, but this is essentually Devin's iconic metal sound forced into a pair of trendy hip-hugger jeans; it doesn't quite fit, but somehow demands one's gaze.

The mighty "Supercrush!" stands out as an early highlight thanks to its good chorus, and "Addictided" turns a corner shortly thereafter (although the remix of "Hyperdrive" is a misfire-- if Dream Theater has shown us one thing, it's never but bits of other [better] albums into mediocre releases). Once we're finally given a chance to catch our breath with the mellow "Ih-Ah!" it feels like the songwriting picks up noticebly. Thoughtful, somewhat varied compositions follow with a greater depth in sound and vocals. These are the reason for getting "Addicted", it's just a shame we have to sit through the noisy lead-up.

"Addicted" is vastly unsatisfying compared to Devin's other releases; although it has some merit, most listener's will simply find the bombast of the songs boring. The "pop" aspects to this record are certainly tongue-in-cheek, so I don't take them too seriously, but I expect something memorable at least, and "Addicted" is just loud. Unless one is already of fan of Townsend-- it'd be best to avoid getting "Addicted".

Songwriting 2 Instrumental Performances 3 Lyrics/Vocals 3 Style/Emotion/Replay 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#256948) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 19, 2009

Review by LiquidEternity
5 stars A lot, and I mean a lot, of thought has gone into this review. I try not to give out too many five star ratings, and I certainly try to take a fair look at artists whose outputs I consistently enjoy. I am not rating this album five stars just as a fan of Devin Townsend. I kept thinking about it, wondering what I'd rate it, and figured somewhere in the three or four range. And then I noticed it: according to last.fm, Addicted was my most played album. That's many hundreds of plays since I first bought it last fall. And so a serious reconsidering of what I actually thought of the album began, and the end result is that this album is clearly one of Townsend's top-tier releases, one of the strongest of the year from any artist, and defiantly progressive in its own zany way.

Coming in as part two of the planned four part Devin Townsend Project, Addicted follows the general mellowness and stripped-down nature with something closely akin to its opposite. When you mention Townsend playing a heavy, upbeat, wild record, you conjure up images of Strapping Young Lad sorts of growls and screams and general fast-paced anger. Addicted is not at all this beast, and that is one of its best moments. Instead, we get songs built around clever riffs, zesty drumming, and, despite the fact that this is a progressive release, catchy melodies. The addition of Anneke van Giersbergen on vocals (a girl who likely is my favorite female voice in metal or in rock) gives the hard-hitting crunch of this album a softer, sweeter vibe. For example, if you enjoy her work on Ayreon's 01 or Into the Electric Castle, you'll be even more pleased with her work here. Unlike on Ki, where the female vocals occurred only a couple times and then were nothing special, Anneke on Addicted takes whole choruses, verses--even her own song.

The first track of the album, the title track, is likely its least new and exciting. It's a good song, but if any of the ten tunes here might bring the album down to four stars, it's this one. The chorus is solid, though, and the instrumental section in the middle is delicious noodling goodness (not in the usual shreddy prog metal sense, so don't worry). With only a long drum fill to separate the two, the second track appears on the scene. Universe in a Ball! is a very heavy song with consistently amazing drumming and some very well-mixed walls of guitars. Its layout is fairly nonstandard, so it might take a few listens to find any direction to it at all. Next comes Bend It Like Bender!, an appreciably controversial track. Anneke makes her first lead debut here on the chorus, and yes, it is mildly ABBA-esque. But that says nothing for how stylish and grooving of a chorus it is, with her strong vocals soaring over heavily electronicked metal. I can see this song on principle bothering prog fans, but it really is a good song, if we are willing to admit it.

Supercrush! brings not just massive walls of guitars but a massive wall of bombast. Devin's vocals in the chorus (countered by Anneke's soft vocals in the verses) are about as over-the-top as they come. Very fun, and a very entertaining song. Hyperdrive! is a reworking of the Ziltoid classic. Some fans prefer this over the old one, others the old one over this. The only real difference is instead of Devin singing it very mellowly and softly, we get Anneke belting it out solo. And whether or not this is the version you'll prefer, I don't think there's a person alive who could listen to this and not appreciate the raw enthusiasm and skill she pours into her performance here. She is, as they say, incredibly good at singing. And to follow that comes the highlight of the album (at least to my ears): Resolve!. This one is very straightforward (well, once you get past the quirky keyboard solo at the beginning and the beautiful verse that only appears once). It's primarily a chorus dueted between the two vocalists, and boy do they sing it crazy. Subsequent appearances of this chorus result in layers being added and power just flying out of the CD.

Ih-Ah! has its share of opponents as well. It is almost reminiscent of Coldplay or something, being a largely piano/guitar ballad. However, despite the weak lyrics and the simple song structure, the harmonies sound just fantastic. Like Bend It Like Bender!, Ih-Ah! might be one of those tracks, the enjoyment of which entirely depends on whether or not the prog fan can get over its subprog nature. Well, if you wanted something more progressive, The Way Home! wanders in next. The music itself is very fast, almost like a SYL song sans the distortion and screaming. Townsend's vocals are fairly subdued save for a few moments where he leaps out like on Supercrush!. The end result is a very unique and interesting-sounding track. Numbered! follows, and Awake!! after it: both are much heavier than the tracks before them. Numbered! features a wonderful ad-lib by Anneke, and Awake!! features the only moments of growling on the entire record. Also, as a note, Awake!! isn't really a ten minute song--it's about five, five and a half minutes of music followed by a fadeout that turns to electronica and meanders around becoming this beat and that (think Project EKO except with much more change and much more creativity to it).

And that leaves us ready for Deconstruction, if that is the name that Devin plans to keep for the third Project release. Either way, if you can enjoy metal with bizarre elements (no, I do not mean maudlin of the Well or Behold... the Arctopus--is that how you spell it--elements, just abnormal songwriting), and if very talented, bombastic vocals, then Addicted should be lots of fun for you. This is happy metal. This is metal that dares to defy the demands of its genre to be very upset and upsetting. Sure, other bands do this too. But none as well as Devin does on Addicted. Give it a shot, I recommend. Even people who aren't big fans of metal will find plenty to enjoy on here.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#269965) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 06, 2010

Review by UMUR
3 stars Addicted as a full-length studio album release by Canadian artist Devin Townsend. The album is released under the Devin Townsend Project monicker. Addicted was released through HevyDevy Records/Inside Out in November 2009. In addition to Devin Townsend on vocals, guitar and electronics, the album is graced by the female vocals by former The Gathering vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen. The drums are handled by Ryan Van Poederooyen, the bass is played by Brian Waddell and Mark Cimino plays guitar.

The music is melodic heavy rock/ metal with the signature Devin Townsend wall of sound production and instrumentation. The songs are mostly pretty simple, so donīt expect this to be one of his more demanding releases. What you get here are good melodies and above all a great mostly positive atmosphere. Itīs the kind of album that makes me happy when I listen to it. Devin Townsend and Anneke van Giersbergen compliment each other very well and itīs nice to hear a female voice singing some of Devinīs songs. The songs are all of good quality but seldom reach real excellence in my book. The reworking of Hyperdrive! from Ziltoid the Omniscient (2007) works very well though and is a semi-highlight here for me. Ih-ah! is probably as close to commercial pop that Devin Townsend will ever get, but he proves that itīs a genre he masters too.

Addicted is another well produced, well played and well composed album by Devin Townsend and Iīve raised my rating from 3 to 3.5 stars after having listened to the album a bit more. Initially I felt the songs didnīt stand out from each other but repeated listens have proven me wrong and a 3.5 star rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#281631) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Review by Andy Webb
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Supercrusin

Devin Townsend is well known as the master of experimental metal. His solo project, born after the deterioration of his old band Strapping Old Lad, displayed a feverish fury all throughout his music, with intense riffs, crazy playing, and an overall great experimental style, which fluctuated with each release in level of intensity. This album, Addicted, was produced after Townsend announced he had stopped taking drugs. The album, although still reminicent of Townsend's crazy, energetic style, has a more oddly poppish and accessible feel to it, using what seem like pop-based melodies and often times not progressive riffs, vocals, and rhythms. Although the music is good, it is not Townsend's best and is only a decent display of mildly progressive music. 3 stars.

Send comments to Andy Webb (BETA) | Report this review (#299307) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 15, 2010

4 stars My first review of 2011 and I thought i'd pick an album that is like listeneing to a party in progress. Man this is fun, catchy, loud and heavy all at the same time. Anneke formerly from THE GATHERING is my favourite female vocalist so the fact that she's featured on this album rather prominantly was the reason I picked this up. And she is amazing as usual,no surprises there. Perhaps the biggest surprise was at how well Devin sings. I mean he can sing in any style he wants and do it as good as anyone, and I mean anyone. I like the picture of the band on the back cover because the looks on Devin and Anneke's faces tell it all.This is about having a blast folks.

"Addicted !" opens with these slow but heavy riffs as the drums join in then a scream from Devin followed by vocal melodies from Anneke. Catchy stuff as Devin comes in vocally with power. It blends into "Universe In A Ball !" where the drums lead early followed by riffs then Devin's vocals as he spits out the lyrics. It settles before 2 minutes but it's brief. Love the drumming on this great sounding tune. "Bend It Like Bender !" opens with drums and guitar as the vocals from Devin come in. Anneke a minute in. Hell yeah ! Just a blast. "Supercrush !" is my favourite. It just hits me emotionally for some reason. It's heavy as Anneke offers up some vocal melodies. It settles a minute in with Anneke singing. My God ! It turns powerful again with Devin singing this time as contrasts continue. Man Devin can sing.

"Hyperdrive !" is heavy and uptempo with Anneke singing. It's so uplifting 2 1/2 minutes in as she sings with passion.Too much. "Resolve !" opens with laughter then the heaviness kicks in joined by Anneke's vocals. Some keyboards in this one too. "Ih-Ah !" is where they slow it down for a change as Devin sings in a reserved manner. Keyboards before a minute. "The Way Home" is also fairly laid back including Devin's singing but it's uptempo. It's also building. Damn he can sing ! Love the calm to end it. "Numbered !" opens with heavy riffs as Anneke joins in. It's Devin's turn a minute in as contrasts continue. Great sounding track. "Awake !!" opens with heavy riffs as Devin comes in vocally. Anneke after 1 1/2 minutes. Devin is more aggressive before 2 1/2 minutes. Anneke is back 3 1/2 minutes in. Devin's turn again as he sings with passion. It ends with a spacey soundscape.

Easily 4 stars and it is different hearing Anneke sing on such an upbeat album. As a side note 2011 is going to be a strange year for me because by the summer my 2 reviews a day pace will end. I guess five years at that pace is deserving of a break but when this ends it will be a sad day for me. Oh well, happy 2011 everyone !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#369794) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 01, 2011

Review by EatThatPhonebook
4 stars 7/10

"Addicted" is the most straight-forward, memorable album of the Project.

Devin Townsend is one of the most active, if not the most active, metal musician around. After his various projects (Devin Townsend Band, Strapping Young Lad), and his completely solo album, "Ziltoid The Omniscient", Devin Townsend writes down about sixty songs, all of them without the use of drugs, unlike how he did for all the other previous works, and decides to divide them up into four albums, all of them having a different theme, under the name of the Devin Townsend Project. "Addicted" is the second of the saga, following KI, a quiet and atmospheric album that was intended to set the stage for the other albums.

Townsend's eleventh studio album is supposed to be the most commercial, memorable, melodic, but at the same time the heaviest album of the four. And Devin scores on this one. "Addicted" is a perfect follow up to KI: everything is so alarmed, loud, heavy, all the prog elements are pretty much gone, compensating them we have a little more electronic, sometimes even ambient, and very Industrial sounding guitars, which is anyway a typical quality of the Canadian musician. It's not at all estranged from Townsend's earlier albums, but a change is definitely felt, some people think in a bad way. The most noticeable change is the huge presence of female vocals in almost every song, and they definitely are in my opinion one of the best features of "Addicted". I'm not even going to mention the lyrics, since Devin was never a great lyricist, in fact he is one of the worst out there, extremely corny and banal, that make me cringe every time.

But whatever, Townsend can surely write a song: the opening title track is energetic and explosive like dynamite, and the weird, industrial electronics really give the music a more lush sound, just like the female vocals. "Universal In a Ball!" is the crazy song that you can find in a lot of Devin Townsend albums, definitely the heaviest one off the album. "Bend It Like Bender", however, is one of the catchiest and most accessible songs, thanks to the disco influenced chorus, sung by the female vocals. Another great highlight is the revising of the song "Hyperdrive", originally from the album "Ziltoid The Omniscient", this time sung exclusively by female vocals. Other great songs are the single "Numbered", very epic and huge sounding, thanks to the amazing wall of sound, and the catchy rock n'roll influenced "Resolve!". They were some songs however that I just didn't care for, at all, like the long "Awake!" or "Ih-Ah!", which seems to be hated by many.

But overall I really enjoyed this second chapter of the Project, even though some times it was a little irritating but I'm really looking forward to listening to the third release, which supposed to be more progressive sounding.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#448032) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 15, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars Devin Townsend's 'Addicted'was an album that I bypassed at the time of release but was drawn back to it after hearing the masterpiece 'Epicloud'. The power of that album was partly due to the incredible vocal performance of Anneke van Giersbergen. As her presence was also on this Devin album it became a point of necessity to hear it. The album opens with a very raucous slammed in your face scream fest on 'Addicted!'. My real attention was grabbed on the next track 'Universe In A Ball!' with its catchy main riff and phrase repeated over and over. It jams into the head in the same way of much of the material on 'Epicloud.' Devin screams his lungs raw again and the riff is entrancing, though simple sitting on the one note. It is the rhythm that transfixes and the drum blastbeats. When the boisterous tunnel of sound settles and allows some softer vocals it becomes more tolerable. This is a very loud album and is perhaps more metal than albums to follow. That is why every song title ends with an exclamation mark; it simply powers out on these metal piledriver tracks.

'Bend It Like Bender!' is one of the best here especially as the riff is infectious and Anneke gets a chance to allow her golden sweet voice to reverberate. I love the blend of metal and her vocals; it is as endearing as 'Epicloud' that I cannot rate more highly. 'Supercrush!' has a skull crushing riff and some terrific harmonies, Anneke is audible over the intricate rhythms, and virtually takes the lead and that makes a break from all the yelling and screams. This is a masterful song and a definitive highlight.

'Hyperdrive!' is divine as it is the same song from the insanely brilliant 'Ziltoid', except this time Anneke takes the central role and she is wonderful here. I love her passion on the familiar lyrics, reinvigorating this classic track. So that's 3 excellent songs in a row after a rather aggressive start. Following next is 'Resolve!', with a killer riff, Anneke and Devin powering out a bombastic melody. They work well off each other and the lyrics have a potent theme as 'I won't resolve to receive what you'll be, the ocean returns to the sea'.

'Ih-Ah!' has an odd title so what will the music sound like one may wonder. What we have is an acoustic opening, soft Devy vox, a very subtle lightweight melody and lyrics about the dangers of love, 'we don't even understand so how can this be wrong' and he cant express any more so just sings 'Ih-Ah, Ih-Ah'; a bit kitsch but the song is a break from the metal mayhem previous.

'The Way Home!' has a hyped up fast driving rhythm and clean measured vocals from Devy. That rhythm is so fast over the slower vocals it has a feel and style all of its own unlike anything I have heard from the mad scientist of metal. 'Numbered!' returns to the huge metal riffs and a very melodic over produced sound that is the way Devin likes it. His vocals are easier on the ears here, some of his best in the high register. The album ends with

'Awake!!' with the extra exclamation mark so it is bound to kick serious butt. It is the longest track at over 9 minutes and features a blistering riff and clean tones from Devin singing very well on this song. Anneke joins him and lifts the atmosphere up a notch and the it gets brutal again with pace and powerhouse vocals.

I would say this is one of the heavier albums of DT especially the opening tracks and the last. It has some variation in the centre and Anneke'svoice is an embellishment that was worth returning to with 'Epicloud'. She is the ex Gathering singer and certainly knows how to power out a song. 'Addicted' is a great album, though not as consistent as some others I have heard. Devin rarely disappoints with his blend of styles and here is no exception. I am glad the album delivered the goods and it certainly features some of Devin's best material. This is an album to savour and leads nicely to the next stint with Anneke that came 3 years later on the superior "Epicloud".

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#906934) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 05, 2013

5 stars I have been a huge fan of Dev music since the day I saw Krusher interview him on Noisy Mother's before the release of 'Heavy as a really heavy thing' by SYL. I then had the pleasant suprise of discovering his work on Vai's 'Sex & religion'. This guy obviously had talent, and found a way to be c ... (read more)

Report this review (#1135968) | Posted by Kevman28 | Sunday, February 23, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Addicted is a masterpiece through and through. Every song just draws you in with its majestic wall of sound. I don't know how this man manages to put together heavily layered albums like this in the short amount of time that he does it. I attempt to make recordings like this and I just can't se ... (read more)

Report this review (#963826) | Posted by RedKlouD72 | Wednesday, May 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 9/10 More of this! Devin Townsend was a little disappointed in his latest productions, but with Ki he showed a new facet that captivated me here at Addicted he conquers me whole again! Offering a "pop" vision but not sell the music industry Devy gets down on one of their best albums! Si ... (read more)

Report this review (#851772) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, November 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I love Devy, but I don't get the fuss about this one. Many have been calling it one of his better albums (not so much on this site, but elsewhere), and the first half could lead to that conclusion, but by the second half it gets kinda tiresome. Now this isn't Devy's normal style. It's a lot m ... (read more)

Report this review (#545395) | Posted by DisgruntledPorcupine | Friday, October 07, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is actually the second of two releases from Devin Townsend in 2009 (the first was Ki, and two more are slated for 2010 in order to complete the four-part "The Devin Townsend Project" series). Townsend is the founder of "Extreme Metal / Thrash Metal / Death Metal" band, Strapping Young La ... (read more)

Report this review (#442792) | Posted by BobVanguard | Wednesday, May 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Wait... what? First acoustic and now spangly electro pop? Surely not. Well, electro pop isn't exactly the truth, as former Strapping Young Lad frontman Devin Townsend mixes his trademark industrial ambient metallic attack with some more unusual genres of music. Luckily, for the mad scientist ... (read more)

Report this review (#284805) | Posted by Laurelles | Friday, June 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Devin Townsend described this album to be 'an album of melodic and danceable music' with the production of Nickleback's Dark Horse and influences ranging from Meshuggah to Boney M, and he wasnt wrong. While being a lot more stright-forward than Ki, Addicted (for me) was a harder album to get into ... (read more)

Report this review (#284069) | Posted by FarBeyondProg | Saturday, May 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars When I got this album sometime last November I was Addicted! to it for weeks. This album is the poppiest and catchiest of Devins albums, but it still has enough comlexity to keep my interest. The album kicks off with the heavy and powerfull title track. The sound of the drums on this record ma ... (read more)

Report this review (#268096) | Posted by I Love Internet | Thursday, February 25, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For all intensive purposes, this was my first Devin Townsend album, and what a delightful find it was. I understand, as all newcomers to Devin Townsend should be warned, that this album by no means is an accurate representation of his usual work. It's poppy in places, sometimes downright t ... (read more)

Report this review (#260030) | Posted by Tarquin Underspoon | Saturday, January 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Yeah, it's pop, but I suppose it's Devin Townsend so I'm allowed to enjoy it. =D There was a sense of that when I first listened to this, but then I realized that this is just so much better than the rubbish pop that floats around the radio and settles like a grim fog over the general public's ... (read more)

Report this review (#254599) | Posted by Staker | Sunday, December 06, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Devin Townsend's eleventh solo album or the second Devin Townsend Project presents an interesting starting point for me. Among my friends and family I'm known as a fierce opposer of pop music. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of Townsend. So now I'll let the cat out of the bag: Addicted isn't exa ... (read more)

Report this review (#247653) | Posted by Anderson III | Sunday, November 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Devin Townsend has done it again. This is the feeling I get when I listened the first time to this album. It's just great. Devins voice is just magnificient. This album differs from Ki alot. When Ki was a quiet and calm album, Addicted is almost completely opposite. Addicted is powerful, vibrant ... (read more)

Report this review (#247620) | Posted by Hestoz | Sunday, November 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEVIN TOWNSEND "Addicted (Devin Townsend Project)"