Devin Townsend - Addicted (Devin Townsend Project) CD (album) cover

ADDICTED (DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT)

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Tarquin Underspoon
4 stars For all intensive purposes, this was my first Devin Townsend album, and what a delightful find it was.

I understand, as all newcomers to Devin Townsend should be warned, that this album by no means is an accurate representation of his usual work. It's poppy in places, sometimes downright trite, but there are spots in this album that absolutely floored me. I've always been one to stray to the accessible side of prog, so Townsend's mix of prog mentality, wall-of-sound- production, pop sensibility and metal heavines really makes this album a gem.

If you are new to Devin Townsend, this is a good place to start if you're looking for some uniquely flavored yet accessible pop-metal (which, for the record, I propose as a new PA sub- genre). If catchy hooks and sing-along choruses simply fail to tickle any part of your fancy, I would recommend that you begin elsewhere. A fantastic album nonetheless, one of my favorites of 2009.

Tarquin Underspoon | 4/5 |