My Dying Bride - Towards the Sinister CD (album) cover

TOWARDS THE SINISTER

My Dying Bride

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars Towards the Sinister is a demo cassette tape release by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. It´s the band´s first and only demo release. It was independently released on the 9th of March 1990. The band were at this point a four-piece consisting of Aaron Stainthorpe on vocals, Andrew Craighan on guitars and keyboards, Calvin Robertshaw on guitars and Rick Miah on drums.

The demo contains four tracks. As far as I remember The Grief of Age and Catching Feathers are exclusive to this release while re-recorded and re-worked versions of Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium and Vast Choirs would appear on later releases by the band. The former on the Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium (1992) EP while the latter would appear on the debut full-length studio album by My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers (1992). The music on the demo is for the most part pretty different in sound from later doomy releases by the band. The tempo is mostly mid- paced and there are even some faster sections in some songs. The trademark slow doomy parts are there too of course. The vocals are deep growls. Aaron Stainthorpe´s tortured clean vocal delivery would only appear on later releases.

While the music on the album is actually pretty solid compared to other releases in the genre from the early nineties, the production drags this demo down. The sound is muddy and not even close to being professional. I´ll give a 2 star rating though as this demo showed great promise from a band that would fully live up to that promise on later releases.

UMUR | 2/5 |