TOWARDS THE SINISTER

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

My Dying Bride Towards the Sinister album cover

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1990

1. Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium (8:33)
2. Vast Choirs (7:20)
3. The Grief of Age (4:00)
4. Catching Feathers (3:34)

Search MY DYING BRIDE Towards the Sinister lyrics

Search MY DYING BRIDE Towards the Sinister tabs

- Aaron Stainthorpe / vocals
- Andrew Craighan / guitar, keyboards
- Calvin Robertshaw / guitar
- Rick Miah / drums

March 9, 1990
Independent Release

Thanks to J-Man for the addition
and to Eetu Pellonpää for the last updates

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MY DYING BRIDE Towards the Sinister Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Like Gods Of The SunLike Gods Of The Sun
Vaulted ShadowsVaulted Shadows
Peaceville 2014
Turn Loose the SwansTurn Loose the Swans
Peaceville 2003

More places to buy MY DYING BRIDE music online Buy MY DYING BRIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MY DYING BRIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MY DYING BRIDE Towards the Sinister ratings distribution

MY DYING BRIDE Towards the Sinister reviews

Review by UMUR
2 stars Towards the Sinister is a demo cassette tape release by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. It´s the band´s first and only demo release. It was independently released on the 9th of March 1990. The band were at this point a four-piece consisting of Aaron Stainthorpe on vocals, Andrew Craighan on guitars and keyboards, Calvin Robertshaw on guitars and Rick Miah on drums.

The demo contains four tracks. As far as I remember The Grief of Age and Catching Feathers are exclusive to this release while re-recorded and re-worked versions of Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium and Vast Choirs would appear on later releases by the band. The former on the Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium (1992) EP while the latter would appear on the debut full-length studio album by My Dying Bride: As The Flower Withers (1992). The music on the demo is for the most part pretty different in sound from later doomy releases by the band. The tempo is mostly mid- paced and there are even some faster sections in some songs. The trademark slow doomy parts are there too of course. The vocals are deep growls. Aaron Stainthorpe´s tortured clean vocal delivery would only appear on later releases.

While the music on the album is actually pretty solid compared to other releases in the genre from the early nineties, the production drags this demo down. The sound is muddy and not even close to being professional. I´ll give a 2 star rating though as this demo showed great promise from a band that would fully live up to that promise on later releases.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#259526) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars The rush of winter, its piles of snow and dark desolate street views motivated me to listen some old heavy metal records, and I got immersed to some feelings from early My Dying Bride albums. Hence some impression reports for your amusement.

This demo tape from 1990 has some interesting moments and feelings, though it is evident that it does not reach musically similar heights as the forthcoming releases with better production quality. One of their greatest composition for me is already present here as a beta version; Possibly the longer time spent on developing "Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium" has ensured the glory of later incarnations of this grim romantic epic. On this early version I liked the raw riff sequences and rustic minimal synths, though the later recordings achieve vaster amount of merits in my opinion. Especially the vocal arrangements appear here slightly clumsy.

"Vast Choirs" is also another highlight here for me - The effect of hollow glue sniffing intro evoking trashy fast guitar motives similar to early Carcass leads to a convincing slower riff passage with gloomy synthesizer enrichments. Structural approach to song composition philosophy isalso strongly present on this track, which succeeds fairly well in its dramaturgical curves, and also brings memories from the violent streets of youthhood powerfully back to my mind. The recording is also in my opinion here more working in its brutality than the forthcoming cleaner version on "As The Flower Withers".

The two other tracks are not so appealing, "The Grief of Age" being more straightforward death metal grinder with few slower licks in the end, and "Catching Feathers" balancing between full throttle smashing and whisper-accompanied guitar riff webs. The sounds of the recording are quite muddy, but pleasant ears open to old school lo-fi tones of early 1990's heavy metal sounds. In my opinion a good starting for succesful career with gothic romanticism, a journey which I personally felt ventured later to bit more duller and commercial straits.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#872741) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2012

Post a review of MY DYING BRIDE "Towards the Sinister"