Gryphon - Treason CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Every time I listen to this album, I have the same reaction. Throughout what was the first side of the album, I find myself enjoying the music immensely. The songs are energetic electric prog, fronted by Bob Foster's Steve Howe like guitar wizardry. I find myself at this listen thinking "4 stars at least, maybe even 5 stars if they can remain consistent."

Then I go ahead and listen to the rest of the album. The energy drops off considerably, and the songwriting loses most of the inventiveness that flowed about the previous songs. So, four starts for side one, two stars for side two.

Evolver | 3/5 |