My Dying Bride - I Am the Bloody Earth CD (album) cover

I AM THE BLOODY EARTH

My Dying Bride

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars I Am the Bloody Earth is an EP release by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. There are 3 tracks on the EP which has a total playing time of 26:26 minutes. I remember when I found I Am the Bloody Earth in one of my favorite metal stores back in the day ( that was before the internet stores ruined the economy of physical special music stores). Being blown away by the full-length studio album Turn Loose the Swans (1993) that preceeded the EP, I was naturally very interested in purchasing I Am the Bloody Earth.

The EP starts with the title track which sounds like an outtake from Turn Loose the Swans. Without knowing this for sure Iīm actually pretty certain that it is. The track features guest vocals by Ghost of GGFH. GGFH toured in support to My Dying Bride on the tour for Turn Loose the Swans. I Am the Bloody Earth is an experimental doom/ death metal track with growling vocals by Aaron Stainthorpe and an interesting dissonant violin in one of the sections in the song. I think itīs obvious why the track was left off Turn Loose the Swans. Not that itīs bad but itīs not on par with the material on the album IMO. Transcending (Into the Exquisite) is a remix by Stevie Dachau which contains elements of various tracks from Turn Loose the Swans. Itīs pretty interesting to begin with but outstays itīs welcome by several minutes. A bit too repetitive for my taste. The third track Crown of Sympathy (Remix) is as the name suggests a remix of Crown of Sympathy from Turn Loose the Swans. To my ears it sounds like someone just put the drum track through a chorus effect and not much else. Itīs quite the disappointment really.

I remember being disappointed by I Am the Bloody Earth when I purchased it in 1994, and listening to the EP again after all these years doesnīt change that impression. The title track is allright, but neither of the two other tracks are very worthwhile if you ask me. Especially the remix of Crown of Sympathy sounds close to the original but without the punch. Iīm not sure why you would release a remix that is so close in sound to the original just with a much weaker mix. So as itīs only the title track which is really worth listening to IMO I will give a 2 star rating.

UMUR | 2/5 |