Tangerine Dream - Goblins' Club CD (album) cover

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

4 stars (3,5 *) Many Tangerine Dreams have surprisingly few ratings. I'm only the second to say this is a good one. Not a masterpiece but a solid, enjoyable work which I can't say about many other post-Tyger (1987) albums I've heard: they mostly just bore me. One clear reason to make this better is Jerome Froese's tasty drumming. It is pure music. In 'Raising Haul of Silence' I enjoy the drumming almost more than in any music; it's in a word hypnotic. He plays guitars and keyboards too, like his father.

The album features many guest musicians and that results in a rich sound - cynically it could be said that it's only to hide the hollow composition. But I don't say so. Some of the eight are duller than others but there are some very enjoyable ones. And I think THE SOUND is always the most important matter with Tangerine Dream anyway. I see this as an improved cousin of Underwater Sunlight, containing wider palette and more acoustic instruments (Edgar is a master of 12-string!), and that wonderful percussion. It gives you both energy and relaxation. Beautiful cover art too.

Matti | 4/5 |