Brian Eno - Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) CD (album) cover

WRONG WAY UP (WITH JOHN CALE)

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

ZowieZiggy
1 stars I must recognize that I preferred those guys while there were playing in their respective and legendary early bands: Roxy Music and The Velvet Underground.

The combination of both talented Eno & Cale led to some sort of new wave average album. Sub-par "Talking Heads" as far as I am concerned. And it is not the best of them which was achieved in the seventies. No: this album leans more on their eighties catalogue.

At least, the TH feeling is definite during the first two songs from this album. What's next is of no great stuff, I'm afraid. A song as "In the Backroom is rather insipid, insignificant and dull. Then starts the poppish side of this album with "Empty Frame": it is only a dreadful rock ballad without any inspiration.

The melancholic and very quiet "Cordoba" provides a short and intimate break but it is not frankly the type of song I can cope with. After this one, the duo leads us back to some average mood again with "Spinning Away". Up to now, I have to say that this album from the duet is rather a major disappointment. I was expecting much more from them.

At the end of the day, the first two songs are the best that you can expect from this album. The lousy "Been There, Done That" on the contrary is one of the most awful experience although "Crime In The Desert" isn't anything better. On the contrary.

The worse though is reached with the closing track: some sort of country ballad ("The River"). The whole of this album is pretty weak and only deserves one star according my standards. Not to mention that there isn't anything prog in here.

A definite wrong way...