WRONG WAY UP (WITH JOHN CALE)

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

Brian Eno Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRIAN ENO Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Lay My Love (4:44)
2. One Word (4:34)
3. In the Backroom (4:02)
4. Empty Frame (4:26)
5. Cordoba (4:22)
6. Spinning Away (5:27)
7. Footsteps (3:13)
8. Been There, Done That (2:52)
9. Crime in the Desert (3:42)
10. The River (4:23)

Search BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) lyrics

Search BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) tabs

- John Cale / organ, bass, dumbek, guitar, piano, harp, horn, keyboards, timbales, viola, vocals, tympani, snare drums
- Brian Eno / organ, bass, guitar, drums, keyboards, vocals, bells, snare drums, slide guitar, omnichord, Native American drums, pulse organ

With:
- Darryl Johnson / bass
- Ronald Jones / drums, bass drum, tabla, snare drums
- Bruce Lampcov / vocals
- Dave Young / bass, guitar

CD released by Opal #9264212 (1990)

Thanks to AndYouAndI for the addition

BRIAN ENO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Ambient 1:Music For AirportsAmbient 1:Music For Airports
Astralwerks 2004
LP live at the bbc
BRIAN ENO
~ USD $19.44

More places to buy BRIAN ENO music online Buy BRIAN ENO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRIAN ENO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) ratings distribution

BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) reviews

Review by Syzygy
3 stars This collaboration between Eno and Cale is a good album but a slight disappointment coming from two such noted innovators. Eno and Cale's paths have crossed many times - both played on June 1 1974, and Cale was a guest on Eno's Music for Films, for example - so a full blown collaboration was always on the cards. According to Cale in his autobiography, he and Eno had a rather fraught working relationship during these sessions, which may account for the slightly muted feel of much of the album.

Most of Wrong Way Up sounds more like Eno than Cale. The more uptempo numbers have a similar feel to some of the shorter songs on Before and After Science, with a skewed take on the rock song played over complex, African influenced rhythms. Robert Ahwai adds some Fripp styled rhythm guitar to a few of the songs, and is especially effective on One Word and Spinning Away. Cale's light Welsh baritone is used to good effect on In the Backroom, and on many of the other songs their two voices harmonise surprisingly well. The two best songs are the simplest ones on offer. Cordoba is the only track to feature no guest musicians, and is a mournful song with a haunting vocal by John Cale, who has played the song live (there's a good version on the solo live album Fragments of a Rainy Season). The River is effectively an Eno solo song, and is another haunting song with minimalist backing which reacalls some of the slower songs from Another Green World and Before and After Science.

Fans of Eno's more song based albums will enjoy Wrong Way Up, and his trademark surreal lyrics and bizarre sounds are present and correct, but unlike his collaborations with Robert Fripp and David Byrne there are no real surprises here.

Review by Chris S
3 stars A decent collaboration between John Cale and Brian Eno, this albums leans more towards a pop prog sound as opposed to ambient soundscapes, which is down to John Cale's influence perhaps. The album also has the great Rhet Davies on vocals. This is the fellow who helped produce epic 70's albums like the ' Music inspired by the Snow Goose' by Camel. So lots of influences and sounds jumbled together to make for a very interesting hybrid of sounds. Highlights would have to include ' In the Backroom', the catchy ' Lay My Love' and the closer ' River', largely an Eno composition. John Cale is a great talent and it is equally good to see Wong Way Up in the PA's 'Brian Eno' collective offerings.

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars "Wrong Way Up" indeed. This is a simple album of simple, pleasant pop songs. Nothing at all progressive, and not terribly interesting. In fact, the entire album sounds reminiscent of some of Eno past productions, most notably The Talking Heads (which for the most part bore me to tears).

As I noted above, the songs are all pleasant, there is no hint of the underlying darkness that seemed to loom about the early Eno albums, making them interesting listens. Here we get song after song of tribal rhythms, with Eno and/or Cale singing not very interesting lyrics (for the most part).

Review by Peter
3 stars No, Eno and Cale's WRONG WAY UP is not what I'd classify as a "prog" album. It is, rather, a pop album , and one which I thoroughly enjoy.

This 1990 release found Brian Eno (who should need no introduction here) and former cello prodigy John Cale (ex Velvet Underground) entering the studio for a collaborative effort which would see Eno putting aside his longstanding ambient experiments to record his first new pop songs (with vocals, yet!) since 1977's BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE. As a confirmed Eno fan from way back, I was excited to discover WRONG WAY UP, and doubly pleased when I got it home to find an album of solid, well-crafted songs. (I have always favoured Eno's pop persona over his "king of ambient" incarnation. The ambient albums are fine, and particularly suited to relaxing, but they sure don't make me grin, or tap my foot.)

Eno and Cale had worked together before, on the highly-regarded live concert supergroup recording KEVIN AYERS, JOHN CALE, ENO & NICO: JUNE 1, 1974, and these two seasoned and justly famous art musicians jell very well again here. WRONG WAY UP is a polished, professional and pleasurable album of ten songs which run from one at just under three minutes, to one at over five minutes. (Most are around 4.5 minutes.) Artful string accents, memorable melodies, cool beats and grooves, plus excellent vocals and harmonies are the order of the day. For my tastes, there's not a weak cut in the set, but my especial favourites include the catchy opener "Lay My Love," featuring lots of Cale's cello; Cale's beautifully spare and moving "Cordoba," in which he sings of a seemingly futile attempt to reconnect with a dying friend; Eno's absolutely uplifting "Spinning Away" with its ringing, African-style guitars; the up-tempo "Been There Done That;" and the sing-along, soothing album ender "The River."

If you're a "prog only" type who disdains any and all pop, don't buy this CD. If, however, you have an appreciation for intelligent, finely-executed pop, and/or if you enjoy feel-good Eno songs such as "King's Lead Hat" and "Backwater," then try WRONG WAY UP for a change of perspective. Good stuff.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I must recognize that I preferred those guys while there were playing in their respective and legendary early bands: Roxy Music and The Velvet Underground.

The combination of both talented Eno & Cale led to some sort of new wave average album. Sub-par "Talking Heads" as far as I am concerned. And it is not the best of them which was achieved in the seventies. No: this album leans more on their eighties catalogue.

At least, the TH feeling is definite during the first two songs from this album. What's next is of no great stuff, I'm afraid. A song as "In the Backroom is rather insipid, insignificant and dull. Then starts the poppish side of this album with "Empty Frame": it is only a dreadful rock ballad without any inspiration.

The melancholic and very quiet "Cordoba" provides a short and intimate break but it is not frankly the type of song I can cope with. After this one, the duo leads us back to some average mood again with "Spinning Away". Up to now, I have to say that this album from the duet is rather a major disappointment. I was expecting much more from them.

At the end of the day, the first two songs are the best that you can expect from this album. The lousy "Been There, Done That" on the contrary is one of the most awful experience although "Crime In The Desert" isn't anything better. On the contrary.

The worse though is reached with the closing track: some sort of country ballad ("The River"). The whole of this album is pretty weak and only deserves one star according my standards. Not to mention that there isn't anything prog in here.

A definite wrong way...

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars This album is rather poppy but I like it for the most part. Yes, one might have expected something more artistic and surprising from these two musicians, but clearly that wasn't their intention. I have to confess that I've returned to only a few of these ten songs via compilations and the majority of the songs have faded from my memory. Maybe that speaks against the quality of them? If I happen to return to the album and find out that my review goes wrong somehow, I'll fix it afterwards.

There are a lot of "beats and grooves" as Peter put it in his review. I enjoy the very uplifting 'Spinning Away' and its crispy guitar sound. Cale's melancholic and moving 'Cordoba' is fine in a different way. The closing track is a pleasant ballad with a cowboy feel to it, called 'The River'. Some tracks are probably too full of playing (a long list of guest musicians!) especially for friends of Eno, and too uptempo pop for friends of either of them. If one listens to it without large expectations there ly will be something to enjoy. Though it's surely not as good as it could (should) have been, it offers nice additions to the vocal output of Eno which is not too wide at all.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team
3 stars BRIAN ENO has worn many hats as producer, songwriter and designer but he was first and foremost a musician who embarked on many paths simultaneously since his first albums arose in the early 70s. Although he is most known for all the innovative ambient albums that he has released, he has also put out a ridiculous number of collaborative albums over the years as well beginning on "No Pussyfooting" with Robert Fripp back in 1973. WRONG WAY UP sees him collaborating for the second time with Velvet Underground legend John Cale (the first album was "June 1, 1971" with Nico). While you would expect two eccentric art rock and experimental pioneers in the musical world to create some highly original music that takes you somewhere completely new, it is not really the case on this one as it sounds somewhat like a lost Talking Heads album.

WRONG WAY UP is one of the more accessible albums by ENO and friends. The dominant focus is on catchy melodies accompanied by a huge assortment of instruments but only acting as subordinate entities never stealing the limelight. There is plenty of electronic art pop going on here but there are also lush string sections that include violin and viola. Other than the melodic pop song approach there is strong emphasis on percussion as well making this sound like an experimental 80s new wave style at times. The percussion list is long and includes dumbeks, Shinto bells, tablas and other Indian drums. The tracks are mostly mid-tempo but some like "Cordoba" are slowed down. The piano blues can also be heard on "Crime In The Desert." The finale "The River" sounds like it should be on a Chris Isaak album!

ENO's discography is a hit-and-miss collection of everything ranging from early experimental glam rock to bizarre ambient worlds so i was honestly expecting a little more from this one given John Cale's legacy as one who likes to go to new places as well. On WRONG WAY UP there is an ethnic flavor to many of the tracks given the instruments on board but the vocals and the overall sound really remind me of synth pop bands of the 80s like Level 42 or even Thomas Dolby. Not really a bad thing as the album comes off well and there really aren't any particularly bad tracks, but this album doesn't blow me away either and doesn't have enough hooks for me to want to return to it often despite the groovy rhythms, symphonic backings and passionate dual harmonies. I like it but don't love it.

4 stars A thoroughly underrated LP on PA....this is the best Eno OR Cale LP in yonks. Yeah, it's not an Eno ambient album, it's more akin to the four pop/prog albums he put out in the seventies. Yeah, it's not a Cale classical expirement or an attempt at tone poetry, it's more in the mode of his Isl ... (read more)

Report this review (#99988) | Posted by | Thursday, November 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRIAN ENO "Wrong Way Up (with John Cale)"