WRONG WAY UP (WITH JOHN CALE)

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

Brian Eno Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy BRIAN ENO Music
Studio Album, released in 1990

1. Lay My Love (4:44)
2. One Word (4:34)
3. In the Backroom (4:02)
4. Empty Frame (4:26)
5. Cordoba (4:22)
6. Spinning Away (5:27)
7. Footsteps (3:13)
8. Been There, Done That (2:52)
9. Crime in the Desert (3:42)
10. The River (4:23)

Search BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) lyrics

Search BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) tabs

- John Cale / organ, bass, dumbek, guitar, piano, harp, horn, keyboards, timbales, viola, vocals, tympani, snare drums
- Brian Eno / organ, bass, guitar, drums, keyboards, vocals, bells, snare drums, slide guitar, omnichord, Native American drums, pulse organ

With:
- Darryl Johnson / bass
- Ronald Jones / drums, bass drum, tabla, snare drums
- Bruce Lampcov / vocals
- Dave Young / bass, guitar

CD released by Opal #9264212 (1990)

Thanks to AndYouAndI for the addition

BRIAN ENO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) Music

Fourth World Music I: Possible MusicsFourth World Music I: Possible Musics
Glitterbeat 2014
No release results - showing artist results instead
LP live at the bbc ~ USD $21.71

More places to buy BRIAN ENO music online Buy BRIAN ENO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BRIAN ENO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) ratings distribution

BRIAN ENO Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) reviews

Review by Syzygy
3 stars This collaboration between Eno and Cale is a good album but a slight disappointment coming from two such noted innovators. Eno and Cale's paths have crossed many times - both played on June 1 1974, and Cale was a guest on Eno's Music for Films, for example - so a full blown collaboration was always on the cards. According to Cale in his autobiography, he and Eno had a rather fraught working relationship during these sessions, which may account for the slightly muted feel of much of the album.

Most of Wrong Way Up sounds more like Eno than Cale. The more uptempo numbers have a similar feel to some of the shorter songs on Before and After Science, with a skewed take on the rock song played over complex, African influenced rhythms. Robert Ahwai adds some Fripp styled rhythm guitar to a few of the songs, and is especially effective on One Word and Spinning Away. Cale's light Welsh baritone is used to good effect on In the Backroom, and on many of the other songs their two voices harmonise surprisingly well. The two best songs are the simplest ones on offer. Cordoba is the only track to feature no guest musicians, and is a mournful song with a haunting vocal by John Cale, who has played the song live (there's a good version on the solo live album Fragments of a Rainy Season). The River is effectively an Eno solo song, and is another haunting song with minimalist backing which reacalls some of the slower songs from Another Green World and Before and After Science.

Fans of Eno's more song based albums will enjoy Wrong Way Up, and his trademark surreal lyrics and bizarre sounds are present and correct, but unlike his collaborations with Robert Fripp and David Byrne there are no real surprises here.

Send comments to Syzygy (BETA) | Report this review (#41556) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 04, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars A decent collaboration between John Cale and Brian Eno, this albums leans more towards a pop prog sound as opposed to ambient soundscapes, which is down to John Cale's influence perhaps. The album also has the great Rhet Davies on vocals. This is the fellow who helped produce epic 70's albums like the ' Music inspired by the Snow Goose' by Camel. So lots of influences and sounds jumbled together to make for a very interesting hybrid of sounds. Highlights would have to include ' In the Backroom', the catchy ' Lay My Love' and the closer ' River', largely an Eno composition. John Cale is a great talent and it is equally good to see Wong Way Up in the PA's 'Brian Eno' collective offerings.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#118497) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2007

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars "Wrong Way Up" indeed. This is a simple album of simple, pleasant pop songs. Nothing at all progressive, and not terribly interesting. In fact, the entire album sounds reminiscent of some of Eno past productions, most notably The Talking Heads (which for the most part bore me to tears).

As I noted above, the songs are all pleasant, there is no hint of the underlying darkness that seemed to loom about the early Eno albums, making them interesting listens. Here we get song after song of tribal rhythms, with Eno and/or Cale singing not very interesting lyrics (for the most part).

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#245177) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review by Peter
3 stars No, Eno and Cale's WRONG WAY UP is not what I'd classify as a "prog" album. It is, rather, a pop album , and one which I thoroughly enjoy.

This 1990 release found Brian Eno (who should need no introduction here) and former cello prodigy John Cale (ex Velvet Underground) entering the studio for a collaborative effort which would see Eno putting aside his longstanding ambient experiments to record his first new pop songs (with vocals, yet!) since 1977's BEFORE AND AFTER SCIENCE. As a confirmed Eno fan from way back, I was excited to discover WRONG WAY UP, and doubly pleased when I got it home to find an album of solid, well-crafted songs. (I have always favoured Eno's pop persona over his "king of ambient" incarnation. The ambient albums are fine, and particularly suited to relaxing, but they sure don't make me grin, or tap my foot.)

Eno and Cale had worked together before, on the highly-regarded live concert supergroup recording KEVIN AYERS, JOHN CALE, ENO & NICO: JUNE 1, 1974, and these two seasoned and justly famous art musicians jell very well again here. WRONG WAY UP is a polished, professional and pleasurable album of ten songs which run from one at just under three minutes, to one at over five minutes. (Most are around 4.5 minutes.) Artful string accents, memorable melodies, cool beats and grooves, plus excellent vocals and harmonies are the order of the day. For my tastes, there's not a weak cut in the set, but my especial favourites include the catchy opener "Lay My Love," featuring lots of Cale's cello; Cale's beautifully spare and moving "Cordoba," in which he sings of a seemingly futile attempt to reconnect with a dying friend; Eno's absolutely uplifting "Spinning Away" with its ringing, African-style guitars; the up-tempo "Been There Done That;" and the sing-along, soothing album ender "The River."

If you're a "prog only" type who disdains any and all pop, don't buy this CD. If, however, you have an appreciation for intelligent, finely-executed pop, and/or if you enjoy feel-good Eno songs such as "King's Lead Hat" and "Backwater," then try WRONG WAY UP for a change of perspective. Good stuff.

Send comments to Peter (BETA) | Report this review (#284818) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 04, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I must recognize that I preferred those guys while there were playing in their respective and legendary early bands: Roxy Music and The Velvet Underground.

The combination of both talented Eno & Cale led to some sort of new wave average album. Sub-par "Talking Heads" as far as I am concerned. And it is not the best of them which was achieved in the seventies. No: this album leans more on their eighties catalogue.

At least, the TH feeling is definite during the first two songs from this album. What's next is of no great stuff, I'm afraid. A song as "In the Backroom is rather insipid, insignificant and dull. Then starts the poppish side of this album with "Empty Frame": it is only a dreadful rock ballad without any inspiration.

The melancholic and very quiet "Cordoba" provides a short and intimate break but it is not frankly the type of song I can cope with. After this one, the duo leads us back to some average mood again with "Spinning Away". Up to now, I have to say that this album from the duet is rather a major disappointment. I was expecting much more from them.

At the end of the day, the first two songs are the best that you can expect from this album. The lousy "Been There, Done That" on the contrary is one of the most awful experience although "Crime In The Desert" isn't anything better. On the contrary.

The worse though is reached with the closing track: some sort of country ballad ("The River"). The whole of this album is pretty weak and only deserves one star according my standards. Not to mention that there isn't anything prog in here.

A definite wrong way...

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#457480) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 05, 2011

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars This album is rather poppy but I like it for the most part. Yes, one might have expected something more artistic and surprising from these two musicians, but clearly that wasn't their intention. I have to confess that I've returned to only a few of these ten songs via compilations and the majority of the songs have faded from my memory. Maybe that speaks against the quality of them? If I happen to return to the album and find out that my review goes wrong somehow, I'll fix it afterwards.

There are a lot of "beats and grooves" as Peter put it in his review. I enjoy the very uplifting 'Spinning Away' and its crispy guitar sound. Cale's melancholic and moving 'Cordoba' is fine in a different way. The closing track is a pleasant ballad with a cowboy feel to it, called 'The River'. Some tracks are probably too full of playing (a long list of guest musicians!) especially for friends of Eno, and too uptempo pop for friends of either of them. If one listens to it without large expectations there ly will be something to enjoy. Though it's surely not as good as it could (should) have been, it offers nice additions to the vocal output of Eno which is not too wide at all.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#588975) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 16, 2011

4 stars A thoroughly underrated LP on PA....this is the best Eno OR Cale LP in yonks. Yeah, it's not an Eno ambient album, it's more akin to the four pop/prog albums he put out in the seventies. Yeah, it's not a Cale classical expirement or an attempt at tone poetry, it's more in the mode of his Isl ... (read more)

Report this review (#99988) | Posted by | Thursday, November 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRIAN ENO "Wrong Way Up (with John Cale)"