Brian Eno - Wrong Way Up (with John Cale) CD (album) cover

WRONG WAY UP (WITH JOHN CALE)

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

Matti
3 stars This album is rather poppy but I like it for the most part. Yes, one might have expected something more artistic and surprising from these two musicians, but clearly that wasn't their intention. I have to confess that I've returned to only a few of these ten songs via compilations and the majority of the songs have faded from my memory. Maybe that speaks against the quality of them? If I happen to return to the album and find out that my review goes wrong somehow, I'll fix it afterwards.

There are a lot of "beats and grooves" as Peter put it in his review. I enjoy the very uplifting 'Spinning Away' and its crispy guitar sound. Cale's melancholic and moving 'Cordoba' is fine in a different way. The closing track is a pleasant ballad with a cowboy feel to it, called 'The River'. Some tracks are probably too full of playing (a long list of guest musicians!) especially for friends of Eno, and too uptempo pop for friends of either of them. If one listens to it without large expectations there ly will be something to enjoy. Though it's surely not as good as it could (should) have been, it offers nice additions to the vocal output of Eno which is not too wide at all.

Matti | 3/5 |