Opeth - The Devil's Orchard CD (album) cover

Alitare
2 stars 2011

Rating: 6/15 "**"

Why:

It's the new Opeth album single. That said, let's understand that this band is one of the most popular contemporary progressive rock bands. Some notes on the musical style - there are no growls. I'm indifferent to that aspect. I don't prefer clean or growling on the whole to one another. What I don't like, however, is this rampant increase in Porcupine Tree influence that Opeth's been taking lately. It's slick and it sickens me.

At face value, I'd take Devil's Orchard as a Fear of a Blank Planet B-side or something. Some lost psych metal jam track. It doesn't go anywhere at all. It's not that the song is of poor quality, I just wish more was going on. From the opening guitar riff I just knew this whole affair was going to be a disappointment. The 'god is dead' lament causes me grief. I feel embarrassed when I hear that segment. Ah, and of course there's that 'vintage' 1970's progressive rock sound they were shooting for. If you're expecting Camel-esque melodies and movements, don't think about it. It's the same derivative melancholy they've been propagating since their first LP.

It's not bad. Oh hoo boy is it competent! OH IT'S SO COMPETENT AND ADEQUATE. It's so competent I want some hemlock.

Alitare | 2/5 |