THE DEVIL'S ORCHARD

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Opeth The Devil's Orchard album cover

Buy OPETH Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. The Devil's Orchard (6:39)

Search OPETH The Devil's Orchard lyrics

Search OPETH The Devil's Orchard tabs

- Mikael Åkerfeldt / vocals, guitar
- Fredrik Åkesson / guitar
- Per Wiberg / keyboards
- Martin Mendez / bass guitar
- Martin Axenrot / drums

Thanks to phenomenoumenon for the addition

OPETH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OPETH The Devil's Orchard Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Pale CommunionPale Communion
The End Records 2007
The Candlelight YearsThe Candlelight Years
Box set
Candlelight 2009

More places to buy OPETH music online Buy OPETH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OPETH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OPETH The Devil's Orchard ratings distribution

OPETH The Devil's Orchard reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'The Devil's Orchard' - Opeth (Single)

There are always a few bands in every music scene that stir a fuss anytime they deliver new music. As far as modern progressive metal is concerned, there may still only be a small handful that can unite the masses in excitement, and if the amount of discussion concerning Opeth's new single is any reminder, these Swedish metal titans are one of those chosen elite. Promising a wide departure from the typical progressive death metal we came to know Opeth by, hearing reports that the new album 'Heritage' would be more an homage to 70's rock than anything else had me a little worried that the band had lost themselves the same way fellow progressive metal legends Pain of Salvation had done so the year before. Well as it turns out, a lukewarm anticipation from me has been met with a neither repulsive, nor particularly impressive track. 'The Devil's Orchard' is not quite as derivative and soulless as the retro rock zombie I feared Opeth was going to turn into, but as with all new things, its clear they don't have this new territory harnessed all that well.

The track is certainly doused in plenty of vintage appeal, with Per Wilberg's hammond organs blazing overtop guitar grooves and exotic drum beats. The track takes quite a while to build up to the vocals, and while singer Mikael Akerfeldt's voice is in top condition for his cleans here, the melodies themselves are somewhat weak and lacking, with only one or two ideas sticking after listening. The sound is vintage, but not a total throwback. There are psychedelic gimmicks here and there, but for the most part, this is still the Opeth we know, just without the metal crunch. Some may prefer them as a pure prog rock act, but hearing this- and even despite the promise of a new style for them to explore- I can say that I miss what they used to do.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#502194) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 13, 2011

4 stars The first single from Opeth's forthcoming album Heritage keeps its promise in that musically, it is in a new direction. Whether that is good or bad depends on your personal preferences and tastes. As a prog fan who also loves metal, I couldn't be happier. I have enjoyed all of Opeth's music f ... (read more)

Report this review (#503791) | Posted by dees_74 | Tuesday, August 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars 2011 Rating: 6/15 "**" Why: It's the new Opeth album single. That said, let's understand that this band is one of the most popular contemporary progressive rock bands. Some notes on the musical style - there are no growls. I'm indifferent to that aspect. I don't prefer clean or growling ... (read more)

Report this review (#503480) | Posted by Alitare | Monday, August 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars So this is where it all starts, my first review for progarchives! since I never have owned a record (because we don't have any records in our country) , and this being a digital release, I felt like I had a right to review this one. The Devil's Orchard is the first single released from Opeth' ... (read more)

Report this review (#500243) | Posted by karimiqbal | Monday, August 08, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OPETH "The Devil's Orchard"