Genesis - Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts CD (album) cover

Symphonic Team
1 stars Short songs to dance to? who needs it?

Ah this is the short song live thing that came out at the same time as the longs which is infinitely better. There are some radio singles here to groove to if that's your thing. We have the best and the worst of Genesis on these releases. The best on this particular compilation is Land Of Confusion, No Son Of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, Mama, In Too Deep ? songs that have some merit for great melodic washes of music and Collins at his cynical best on vocals and even pouring out some emotion.

The worst are easier to spot; Throwing It All Away, I Can't Dance, Hold On My Heart, That's All, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Invisible Touch ? all of which are singles that have no prog and are really products of the retro 80s and as a result genuine throwaways. To hear them again on the live set only justifies the reason I cannot stand this type of music. The cheesy lyrics, girly synths and downright saccharine coated melodies are insufferable.

Bring on the 'Longs' live album which runs circles around this radio commercial tripe.

AtomicCrimsonRush | 1/5 |