LIVE - THE WAY WE WALK VOLUME ONE - THE SHORTS

Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy GENESIS Music
Live, released in 1992

1. Land Of Confusion (5:16)
2. No Son Of Mine (7:05)
3. Jesus He Knows Me (5:23)
4. Throwing It All Away (6:01)
5. I Can't Dance (6:54)
6. Mama (6:50)
7. Hold On My Heart (5:40)
8. That's All (4:58)
9. In Too Deep (5:36)
10. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (3:35)
11. Invisible Touch (5:41)

Search GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts lyrics

Search GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts tabs

- Tony Banks / Keyboards, Backing Vocals
- Phil Collins / drums, percussion, lead vocals
- Mike Rutherford / lead guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / lead guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals
- Chester Thompson / drums and percussion

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts Music

Selling England By The PoundSelling England By The Pound
Atlantic 1995
FoxtrotFoxtrot
Wea Int'l 1990
Genesis Live [Definitive Edition Remaster]Genesis Live [Definitive Edition Remaster]
Remastered
Atlantic / Charisma Records Ltd. 1994
Seconds OutSeconds Out
Atlantic 1994
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
Atlantic 1994
GENESIS - PAPERLATE - 45rpm + P/S (54.90) US $1.75 [0 bids]
34m 37s
GENESIS UK 1991 CD Single I CAN'T DANCE NearMINT US $5.03 Buy It Now 37m 26s
Genesis Up Close and Personal - Music DVD & Book Collector Set 823880023804 NEW US $10.91 Buy It Now 44m 34s
Marilyn Manson - Genesis Of The Devil Bootleg CD 2001 US $10.00 [0 bids]
45m 16s
BUSTA RHYMES: GENESIS NEW CD 2001 US $17.63 Buy It Now 46m 18s
GENESIS GABACABRIEL MILTON KEYNES 2ND OCT 1982 / 3LP US $79.99 Buy It Now 55m 15s
Tony Banks - Soundtracks LP Rare Israeli Press GENESIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 48s
DISTURBED Land of Confusion w/UNRELEASED TRK & VIDEO UK CD Single SEALED Genesis US $39.99 Buy It Now 58m 27s
Genesis Vinyl LP Atlantic Records,1981,SD 19313, Abacab ~ EX US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
GENESIS GABACABRIEL MILTON KEYNES 2ND OCT 1982 / 3LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND (CAS 1074) UK 1973 LARGE HATTER US $7.19 [6 bids]
GENESIS UK 1986 12" Single IN TOO DEEP US $5.03 Buy It Now 1h 8m
MIKE RUTHERFORD (Genesis) Acting Very Strange 1982 ATLANTIC CLASSIC ROCK LP US $12.80 Buy It Now 1h 9m
VINTERSONG - COSMIC GENESIS CD 2001 IMPORT IROND CD 01-42 US $9.49 Buy It Now 1h 9m
GENESIS UK 1987 12" Single TONIGHT TONIGHT TONIGHT US $5.03 Buy It Now 1h 10m
GENESIS A Trick of the Tail Vinyl LP Charisma CDS4001 Gatefold Sleeve US $21.83 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Invisible Touch by Genesis (Early CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic ,Disc Made in Japan US $0.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band)... US $3.77 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Abacab by Genesis (U.S.A early press. CD ,Atlantic rec. 1987 US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS On Broadway Live In Paris (London 1975?) Vinyl LP Not TMOQ US $100.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Genesis No Son Of Mine Limited Edition Vinyl 12" US $5.03 [0 bids]
GENESIS CONCERT POSTER MAGNET APPROX 5" X 4" US $5.88 Buy It Now 1h 21m
GENESIS -- FROM GENESIS TO REVELATION CASSETTE TAPE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (U.K. Band)... US $5.12 Buy It Now 1h 32m
GENESIS with Peter Gabriel vinyl LP Decca Records EX german import US $55.00 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Lp-GENESIS-Trespass-1970-Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips US $12.50 Buy It Now 1h 37m
EMINENZ-ANTI-GENESIS-LEP023-1998-FREE SHIPPING! US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
WINGS Band on the Run MC CARTNEY BEATLES STONES KINKS GENESIS JOURNEY FOREIGNER US $0.99 [0 bids]
Genesis Foxtrot CD CASCD 1058 West Germany US $15.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS Abacab LP Record 1981 RARE US $14.98 Buy It Now 1h 54m
ANTHONY PHILLIPS (OF GENESIS) 1984 RCA LP 5056 A1/B1 1st press uk LP PS EX/VG+ US $16.27 Buy It Now 1h 56m
ORIGINAL STILL SEALED MEX LATIN LP~LUCECITA~GENESIS NIEGA &~RCA~HEAR ! US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Turn It on Again: The Hits by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Sep-2007, 2 Discs,... US $5.99 [0 bids]
Nine Paths by Knight Area/ Laser's Edge/Camel/Genesis/Marillion US $4.99 [1 bids]
2h
Genesis PETER GABRIEL Barry Williams Show w/ RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single 2002 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
COUM TRANSMISSIONS Sugarmorphoses GENESIS P-ORRIDGE Dais Records SEALED VINYL LP US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
GENESIS Abacab FRENCH IMPORT EMBOSSED COVER US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Self Titled LP UK VERTIGO RARE BLACK LABEL 1/2 MATRIX US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS A Trick Of The Tail ORG US LP GATEFOLD NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Follow You Follow Me 1978 Promo Stereo / Mono USA Atlantic 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
GENESIS Selling England... UNIQUE Sleeve RARE Special Edition LP PORTUGAL US $37.99 [0 bids]
Genesis-collection.cd US $10.09 Buy It Now 2h 25m
GENESIS - In Too Deep / Do The Neuro Tic - 7" PS Virgin GENS2 US $6.37 Buy It Now 2h 29m
GENESIS We Can't Dance SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Peter Gabriel 002 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS We Can't Dance SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Peter Gabriel 002 US $7.13 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS We Can't Dance SIGNED Autographed PHOTO Print POSTER Peter Gabriel 002 US $21.41 Buy It Now 2h 38m
GENESIS LP LOT (3) SECONDS OUT (VG+/GD+) SELLING ENGLAND (EX/GD) LIVE (EX/GD+) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Genesis by Genesis CD 1983 Atlantic Label LIKE NEW US $14.55 Buy It Now 2h 47m
GENESIS ABACAB b/w Who Dunnit? Atlantic 3891 stereo US $1.99 [0 bids]
Genesis - Invisible Touch NM/NM Textured Cover 81641-1-E Phil Collins US $12.95 [0 bids]
VINYL RECORDS,JOE COCKER,PAT BENATAR,GENESIS,FLEETWOOD MAC, BILLY SOEL, SAVOY.. US $7.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Trespass 1974 UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $25.20 Buy It Now 2h 59m
TAKING IT TO THE LIMIT LP 1985 {Warner} MINT Branigan~Collins~Genesis~Kihn~McVie US $10.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
GENESIS Nursery Cryme 1975 UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION CAS1052 US $25.20 Buy It Now 3h 4m
GENESIS-GLOOMY SUNDAY 45 EXQUISITE SOARING 60s FEMME HAUNTING FOLK PSYCH gem US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
19173-2 CD, Atlantic West Germany * And Then There Were Three... by GENESIS US $18.15 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Genesis Foxtrot Classic Records 200 Gram audiophile LP US $49.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Keep It Dark/NAMINANU/Abacab(long version) 3 track 12" single US $13.45 Buy It Now 3h 18m
GENESIS - Live - CD Album *Remastered* US $6.30 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Genesis Invisible Touch Cassette 1986 Atlantic 81641-4-E Phil Collins Prog Rock US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Genesis- Abacab - LP - exclusive BG pressing,80s US $6.15 Buy It Now 3h 28m
GENESIS - Wind & Wuthering - CD Album *Remastered* US $11.35 Buy It Now 3h 28m
GENESIS - Three Sides Live, 2x 12" Vinyl LP Record, Gatefold Netherlands 1982 US $4.66 [0 bids]
GENESIS "NM WAX" Seconds Out SFX-10036 2LP Z7391 US $12.99 [6 bids]
GENESIS And Then There Were Three VINYL LP Atlantic 1978 ~o US $6.76 Buy It Now 3h 33m
Genesis TRESPASS Limited Reissue NEW SEALED Charisma Records VINYL LP US $29.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS "THREE SIDES LIVE" 1982 DOUBLE ALBUM A&M RECORDS=*NM*-VINYL ! US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
2003 Recharge Simon Eve & DMF LP Album Genesis/Affray Orange Label Hard House US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
GENESIS-CALLING ALL STATIONS-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-CD G00 US $31.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
GENESIS -FOXTROT - LP Gold disc & cover US $252.14 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Genesis-Trespass UK Gatefold LP Blue Charisma Label & Lyric Sheet 1970 US $11.75 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Genesis - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight 12" US $10.51 Buy It Now 3h 53m
GENESIS: AND THEN THERE WERE THREE GERMAN CHARISMA GAT + INSERT US $48.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
YMCK - Family Genesis (KOREA) CD *SEALED* *OBI* J-POP US $13.90 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Genesis Lot Phil Collins era Invisible Touch, S/T, Three Sides Lives US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
GENESIS 5 Mini LP SACD+DVD BOX w/Promo OBI Strip Japan Trick Wind Three Duke US $276.70 [0 bids]
Genesis"Behind The Lines","Misunderstanding" Stereo 45 US $4.95 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Genesis Phil Collins era lot Duke, Seconds Out, Then Three, A Trick of the Tail US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
GENESIS-INVISIBLE TOUCH 1986 ATLANTIC REC. LP 81641-1-E VG++ LAND OF CONFUSION US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
GENESIS-THE BEST...GENESIS 1976 BUDDAH RECORDS GATEFOLD 2 LP'S BDS 5659 VG++ US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
GENESIS-WIND & WUTHERING 1976 ATCO RECORDS LP SD 36-144 EXC. VG+ AFTERGLOW US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
GENESIS "A Trick of the Tail", Stereo LP, Atco Records SD 36-129, 1976, VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Mike Rutherford Working In Line 45 RPM p/s GENESIS US $68.00 Buy It Now 4h 38m
U2, Bon Jovi, Genesis, Barry Manilow, Expose, Go West - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $22.47 Buy It Now 4h 43m
GENESIS Mama / It's Gonna et Better 12" US $12.61 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Invisible Touch by Genesis (U.K. Band) (Cassette, Oct-1990, Atlantic (Label)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Turn it on again by Genesis US $1.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS and then there were three Vinyl LP Gatefold Sleeve 1978 CDS4010 US $11.75 Buy It Now 4h 58m
GENESIS Duke Vinyl LP Gatefold Sleeve 1980 XSD16014 US $11.75 Buy It Now 4h 59m
GENESIS LP-- THE BEDSIDE YELLOW FOAM --PLAY TESTED -- TAKRL 1955 not TMOQ US $18.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS 7" VINYL ABACAB / ANOTHER RECORD CHARISMA CB 388 US $4.50 Buy It Now 5h 7m
GENESIS Tonight Tonight Tonight 1987 USA Atlantic 7" & PS +Jukebox Strips Sheet US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Genesis Live: The Way We Walk, Vol. 1 (The Shorts) by Genesis (CD) Phil Collins US $3.00 [0 bids]
GENESIS Promo Mini LP CD Virgin 25th Anniversary We Can't Dance Japan VJCP-68109 US $20.74 [0 bids]
GENESIS Promo Mini LP CD Virgin 25th Calling All Stations 1999 Japan VJCP-68112 US $20.74 [0 bids]
7" 45 GENESIS Your Own Special Way NM WL PROMO 45-7076 EB682 US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 21m
7" 45 GENESIS Go West Young Man (In The Motherlode) NM WL PROMO 3511 EB682 US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Invisible Touch by Genesis (U.K. Band) (CD, Oct-1990, Atlantic (Label)) US $3.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts ratings distribution

GENESIS Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts reviews

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
1 stars When we listen our favorite genre we must realize that we are going to find bad albums, it's natural, even the greatest genius can be evaded by the muses, but something I can't stand is an unnecessary album.

The Way We Walk (The Shorts) is just an excuse to bleed the fans with songs they have played and sold over and over, simply not a decent moment, this album should be deleted from each and every database, because it's artistic value is equal to zero.

It's amazing how they were able to collect eleven horrendous tracks, one worst than the other. I know some people like Mama, well I don't, I believe it's one of the most tedious, monotonous and mediocre tracks ever released and it's supposed to be the best one.

The worst thing is that they made this aberration in two parts (with The Longs) to take more money from the pockets of the naive fans who didn't learn with ABACAB.

Not even for collectors because the original albums in which the songs can be found are bad enough, if you see it in a store, run away and never get back. Only for masochists.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#10638) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by daveconn
3 stars A precious pair of postscripts to a brilliant career or two final tugs on the udder before putting the cash cow out to pasture? It's hard to know what to make of "The Way We Walk", in part because it divides GENESIS' final "We Can't Dance" tour into two separate parts: the "shorts" and the "longs." Historically, it's in line with the band's earlier live releases, the double-album "Seconds Out" and the live/studio hybrid "Three Sides Live", both of which featured Daryl Steurmer on guitar and Chester Thompson on drums. The decision to not only re-enlist the services of Daryl and Chester but to credit them as members on the album artwork is a classy gesture and one likely to placate longtime fans.

However, there's no getting around the fact that "Volume One: The Shorts" is designed for latter-day GENESIS fans. The set list digs back as far as their eponymous 1983 album only once, for the moody "Mama." Otherwise, this performance is comprised of material from "Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance", two well-crafted albums with plenty of hits, but not the sort of music that prog fans were itching to hear live. The band does a fine job of rendering the studio versions live, aided by the fact that the original sounds were only a pre-programmed button away from resurrection. Phil's voice is right on target, but his audience interaction is a little wooden here, from the awkward opening of "Jesus He Knows Me" to a really, really, really annoying call-and-response segment during "Throwing It All Away".

Highlights to my mind include "Mama" (of course), "I Can't Dance" and "No Son of Mine". Because these live versions are remarkably faithful to the originals, "The Way We Walk Vol. One" does function as a sort of greatest hits collection, assuming you pulled those hits from their last two albums. Ultimately, a nice walk down short-term memory lane, but not a necessary trip.

Send comments to daveconn (BETA) | Report this review (#10639) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 29, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Short on appeal

One can only guess what the logic was for separating the "Shorts" from the "Longs", and releasing them as individual CDs rather than as a double CD collection (which they eventually did). The definition of the term "short" is also questionable, with three of the tracks clocking in at around 7 minutes. By taking these, the generally more commercial tracks out of context and placing them sequentially, it only serves to dilute the overall impact of a Genesis performance. Surely one of the most importance aspects of a live gig is the correct balance between the deep and the superficial.

These songs are all from the post Gabriel era, and indeed from the post good entire album by Genesis era (i.e. nothing from "Trick of the tail", "And then there were three" etc.)

There's an understandable leaning towards the then current album "We can't dance", and the performances are certainly still as competent as ever. You can't help but feel however that what your listening to is little more that a live, hand-clapping, pop concert.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#10651) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 01, 2004

Review by The Prognaut
1 stars Thank God there's a no star feature because this Volume One of a 2 CD set "saga" doesn't even deserve a half out of one. Most of the times, we reviewers tend to disagree about whether an album is worthy of recognition or not, giving away coherent explanations to the readers and clearing the air with impartial thoughts. But tonight, I'll have to omit the part where I use my common sense and just line up to the side where everybody thinks this is a despicable piece of work.

First of all, I don't like to repeat myself over and over again, preferably when it comes to criticize live recordings. "The Shorts" seemed everything but short to me, making my mind burst into flames every time I think if the track listing was a practical joke GENESIS played on us. The songs selection, and specially for a live album; is inexplicable yet unreasonable. I think this is some kind of "post apocalyptical Disney" crap Phil COLLINS unconsciously did in purpose due the severe brainstorming put into his songwriting.

There's nothing good about this one, "I Can't Dance" is the pseudo theme that supposedly stands up for the rest of the songs. That specific point gets to my nerves even in a rather intolerable way. Very post-pop and confusing, this is only the beginning of a 2 CD Set. Yes, you read that correctly, there's a sequel to this abomination.

Send comments to The Prognaut (BETA) | Report this review (#10652) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Guillermo
3 stars A compilation of "Greatest Hits Recorded Live in Concert". Almost all the live recordings (very good recordings, I think) included in this "Vol.1: The Shorts" album were recorded during the "We Can`t Dance" tour, 1992, with the exception of "Mama", "That`s All" and "In Too Deep" which were recorded during the "Invisible Touch" tour, in 1986-87. This album was of my interest for buying because I like the "We Can`t Dance" album. So, the best songs in this live album are the songs from "We Can`t Dance". There are some differences to the original studio versions.It seems that Collins couldn`t reach anymore with his vocals the high notes of some songs, like "Land of Confusion", "We Can`t Dance" and the short version of "Tonight...", so these songs are played in lower tones by the band. It also seems that by 1986-87 Collins was already having problems with some songs, so, for example, "Mama" is in a shorter version which doesn`t include the last verse, which in the original version was sung in a higher tone by Collins (maybe an octave higher). Long tours are really hard for singers, mainly. The best live versions included in this album are: "No Son of Mine", "Jesus He Knows Me" (with Stuermer on lead guitar), "Throwing it all away" (with Collins making jokes with his voice as he asks the fans to sing the song), the humorous "We Can`t Dance" (with Collins, Rutheford and Stuermer "dancing" around the stage, and with Collins trying to "play" an "harmonica" solo with his voice), "Hold on my heart" (better than the studio version as it has Collins singing "with feeling"), "That`s all" (with humorous lyrics, too), and the very good Pop song called "Invisible Touch". "Mama" has never been one of my favourite songs, so I often skip this song when I play this CD, the same as with the "too much sugar ballad" called "In Too Deep". "Land of Confusion" is good, but it`s not one of my favourites. "Tonight..." is played in a shorter version, so the full lenght live version included in the "Never a Time" CD single or EP is more interesting for me, despite Collins had problems to reach the high notes as this version was recorded in 1987 in the original tone.The most interesting things in this CD are the contributions of Thompson and Stuermer to the live versions. Collins is credited as playing drums in this live album, but I don`t think that Collins played drums in the songs of this "Vol. 1". They also released in late 1992 a video recorded in concert called "Genesis Live-The Way We Walk-In Concert", which was released in the VHS and Laser Disc formats, with very good sound and video, and it was also released in DVD a year or two ago. I prefer the sound mixing of the CD, as the sound of Collins`vocals is lower in the live versions included in the video.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#10653) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Review by soundsweird
2 stars Why did I buy this? It was really cheap, and I thought it would be nice to have live versions of the few latter-day pop hits I like. I listened to it once, and now it takes up space, like so many mediocre albums that I felt were worth having for the price paid. The problem is, you run out of room sooner or later......If I decide I need room, this will be one of the first to go. "Tonight, Tonight..." should've been longer, and several other tracks should've been shorter. And Phil is too full of Phil on some tracks.

Send comments to soundsweird (BETA) | Report this review (#10661) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars I agree that this is a totally pop outfit with some touches of rock. I used to play this in my car when my kids (at that time) were around me because they knew their dad loved Genesis very much but they could not differentiate which era of Genesis. They knew the CD cover is called Genesis. I just wanted to compromise with them that even Genesis could play "good" pop music like "Throwing It All Away" as my kids like when Phil sings "Chiyaeee . chiyaee .chiyaee .!!" (spelling? Yes, I got red underline under these words in my Microsoft Words documents - but you know what I mean, don' you?). The other song that is "ear candy" to my kids is "Mama". And they like "Tonight, Toninght, Tonight" especially on the opening electric drum sounds / loops. Oh I almost forget, I also enjoy the opening track "Land of Confusion" - it's a good pop rock song.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#44774) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 29, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars It is obvious that this live album won't be a fave for old Genesis fans (like I am). Still, it is during their "being three" era that they cashed in like hell : selling millions of records and filling up stadiums. This supporting tour for "We Can't Dance" will first produce this release. "The Shorts" being a collection of some of their most popular tracks from "Abacab" to "I Can't Dance". No great stuff, for sure. The good thing here is that the numbers they have compiled on this album are the "best" ones of the period with some exceptions though : "I Can't Dance" which I Can't Stand and "Tonight ...". I only bought it to have my Genesis collection completed (first on vinyl for their epic era) then on CD (for their poppy times).

You'd better not buy it though. Stick to their official live material published earlier on or get hold on of some non-official stuff like : "BBC Archives 1970-1972" (really extraordinary), "Hogweed Reading Festival " (1972), "Live At Earl's Court" (1977) and "Follow You, Follow Me" recorded at the Chicago Uptown Theatre in 1978 (a full version of "Dancing Out With The Moonlit Knight" with Phil on vocals : this will be one of the very few times this song will by interpreted in its entirety by this line-up).

This will give you a general idea of their live work for their most interesting period IMO (1970 through 1978). Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105022) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 31, 2006

Review by progaardvark
1 stars If you couldn't stand the pop rock garbage output of Genesis in the 1980s and early 1990s, chances are you'll absolutely hate listening to them all performed live. And that's what this is.

Genesis Live was released in two separate CD's, vol. 1 containing "The Shorts" and vol. 2 containing "The Longs." I don't recall exactly why these were released this way, rather than a 2-CD set. Chances are it was for some sort of contrived marketing purpose. Genesis as a group may or may not have been aware of the two different camps their fans were divided into, but if they were it seems "The Shorts" was designed for their newest pop-friendly listeners. Perhaps they didn't think a 2-CD set would sell that well among them since it seems they were unfamiliar with their older material, didn't like long songs in general, or simply didn't care (at least according to interviews with the group). "The Longs" must have been for the "old farts."

Thus, we have a live recording of the group's pop hits from the 1983-1992 period. Since there is hardly a hint of progressive rock on this CD and the bulk of the material is insipid at best, one star seems like the perfect rating. Only for completionists.

Send comments to progaardvark (BETA) | Report this review (#127422) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars I was quite surprised when I saw the very low rating for this one. By the time The Way We Walk was released I knew very well what to expect from Genesis: nice pop music with some prog influences. If you wanted more prog then you lost track of what this band was doing for over ten years before, or more.

And I must say this is a damn good pop-prog album. Those guys are great musicians and talented songwritiers, even if they did better than this in their earlier years. But I see Genesis in the 80īs and onwards as a new band. Maybe they should have changed the name? Well, does not matter now. if you want a good sounding live CD of their pop hits, go for it. Highlights for me are No Son Of Mine and In Too Deep. But I like the album as a whole. Not matter what detractors might say: prog or pop, those guys are great.

Yes, Genesis still sounds good. Not essential, but good.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#166234) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Review by UMUR
3 stars Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts is the first live CD from Genesis tour supporting We Canīt Dance ( 1991) and as the title suggests this live album consists of the short songs played on that tour ( unfortunately also the most commercial). Volume two came out in 1993 and consisted of the longer songs from the tour ( the emphasis is unfortunately on the eighties material on that one too. I find it pretty enjoyable anyway though).

The songs selection on Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts is not surprising but a bit unsatisfying for me. There are no songs from the seventies present on the album and the emphasis is clearly on the hits from the new album and the eighties hits. When this is said I have to say I do enjoy parts of this album greatly. It always reminds me of my childhood when I listen to a song like Land of Confusion or my early teens when I listen to songs like No Son of Mine and Jesus He Knows Me. Well composed and great songs. What drags the album down IMO are the more ballad type songs like Throwing it All Away, Hold on My Heart and In Too Deep. Way too suckery and sweet for me.

I really enjoy Genesis performance on this album. These live versions are much better than the originals and the technical skill involved to pull these songs of in such a professional way in a live setting is typical Genesis. You can argue that the sound is almost too perfect but I still enjoy it. Banks, Rutherford and Collins is as usual helped out by Chester Thompson on drums ( Frank Zappa, Weather Report) and Daryl Stuermer on lead guitar, bass and backing vocals. Two very competent gentlemen who are true to Genesis sound.

I gave volume two a big 3 star rating and I will give this one 3 small stars. Maybe itīs pure nostalgia that makes me give the third star but something just clicks when I hear most of these songs. I might be a bit too generous though.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#190059) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 21, 2008

Review by J-Man
1 stars Yuck. While the other volume (the longs) is pretty bad too, none is bad like this. Genesis divided The Way We Walk into their proggier songs, and pop songs. This is thier pop disc, and is not good. The musicians are great. The recording's great. The singing's great. There's only one problem left: the music. The music is all pretty awful. I like the fact that the on the other disc they respected that they were a prog band, but I'm not reviewing that disc, I'm reviewing the worse of the two. Not proggy at all, just decent pop music that I never listen to. 1/5, not a chance it should deserve any higher.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#192733) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 12, 2008

Review by Flucktrot
2 stars Since I received this disc as a gift, I'll give it the benefit of a review. Not that the review has to be rosy, of course! The relative who gifted this to me is definitely an appreciator of good--though perhaps not prog--music...a maven, if you will. I will take the positive assumption that by hooking me on the "shorts", this relative assumed I would venture further into the "longs". Hmmm...perhaps a bit optimistic, but I got to the longs anyway, and deep enough I might add that for a time I forgot the shorts existed!

I remember being in a record store at my local mall when these albums came out. I also remember thinking how cool these Genesis guys were portrayed to be. If you can't tell by now, I had a somewhat sheltered childhood. As it turns out, most people didn't think they were cool, but apparently there was a market for this stuff (ahem, the middle aged, I suspect), and thus the material was marketed.

I admit, there was a time that I did like some of this material. I thought Jesus He Knows Me was a clever, snarky take on the prototypical televangelist charlatan. For a sunday school boy, listening to this was sticking it to the man, unfortunately. I also did enjoy No Son of Mine. Heck, when I was in middle school and had those crappy Pocket Rockers, Invisible Touch was one of the singles I owned, and I thought it was great. How I also loved Focus and Pink Floyd at the same time completely escapes me now.

I'm rambling.

This was not a bad concert, and the recording is good. These are also not bad songs--all right, Mama might be bad--but they are not progressive songs. As such, it hurts the inner progger in all of us that this album even exists. However, I'll save my 1-stars for only those who truly deserve them. This deserves better, but only slightly.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#285415) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 06, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars Oh Mama!

In the process of releasing the recorded live material from the We Can't Dance tour in 1992 they came up with the "brilliant" idea to separate the longer and more progressive tracks and the shorter and more commercial tracks and put them on separate albums. This resulted in The Shorts and The Longs albums. The reasons behind this decision are unclear; did they want to please their early fan base with The Longs album? Did they not want their Pop fans to hear the - older and newer - more elaborated songs? Did they think that they could please everybody by "splitting their personality" in this way? Regardless of the underlying reasons, we should ask ourselves if this was a good idea? And even if I gave The Longs album a high rating, the answer should probably be 'no'. For those wishing to hear (and see) the whole show, there is also a DVD called simply The Way We Walk holding the whole set list over two discs. In my opinion, the DVD is preferable over the CD albums partly because this was just what the audience heard that night and partly because these shorter, more commercial, songs sound so much better side by side with the longer, more progressive, songs.

While The Longs album should interest any fan of progressive Rock, The Shorts has much less appeal. I was surprised to find on the present album some songs that are not also on the DVD. My first thought was that, contrary to my previous belief, the DVD did not feature the whole show. But it does (at least, I still think that it does). Those songs present here that are not also on the DVD were actually recorded on the previous tour and added to this album! These songs are Throwing It All Away, Mama, That's All and In Too Deep. This was a weird and confusing move and you get the feeling they were trying to make a kind of live greatest hits album! Almost needless to say, these songs do not add much value to the album. Mama is a good song but since it wasn't even performed on the tour this live album purports to represent it is out of place here. What becomes even more strange is that not all songs from the DVD are featured on the two live albums! Turn It On Again has been dropped as well as Dreaming While You Sleep, both songs being better than the songs that are actually here!

Since those songs that made up The Longs were the best ones from the show, there is not much good stuff left for The Shorts. But this album is not entirely without its merits. We get here good live versions of the band's major hits of the 80's and early 90's. Most of the songs sound better live than they do on the studio albums. The sound is a bit less "artificial" and the songs have a bit more of a Rock edge when performed live. I enjoy the opening duo of Land Of Confusion and No Son Of Mine but after that the material is considerably less exciting. The only other highlight is Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. I have learned to accept Jesus He Knows Me and I Can't Dance, but Invisible Touch, In Too Deep, Hold On My Heart and Throwing It All Away I find hard to appreciate particularly in the present context and in the absence of the songs they put on The Longs album.

To sum up, this album is very strange. First, it is incomplete both in that it omits short songs that were actually played and that it represents only the Pop side of the band and thus misrepresents the actual set list of the tour. I understand that they indented this album to represent the show only in tandem with the (extremely much better) Longs album, but still I find this one very one-sided in a very bad way. Second, it is confusing in that it holds tracks that were not even part of the set list of the tour. It is sad if people are led to think that the present album is representative for what Genesis were like live in 1992. It is certainly not! Surprisingly perhaps, these songs work so much better in their proper context and only the DVD offers them that way.

From a Prog perspective, The Shorts is a kind of "worst of"-album and ought to be avoided by all even as a companion to The Longs. The best "way to walk" is to go for the DVD (which is highly recommended) or if you can't find it or prefer a CD, then go for the very good The Longs (also highly recommended, but you don't need it if you get the DVD) and forget about the present album.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#288290) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post Rock Team
1 stars Wow. What a horrible album. This isn't all about Phil Collins. The two guys who ruined Genesis are here too. Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson are here as well. This features live versions of songs from the group's most commercially successful years(1983-1991).

I got this in the mid-90s because it was the closest thing to a 'greatest hits' that Genesis had. I still have not heard The Longs. Maybe if I got that one instead of this I might have gotten into prog a few years earlier than I did. Who knows. None of the songs here are better than the studio versions. "Hold On My Heart" is one of Genesis' worst songs ever. Everytime I hear this song I want to vomit. Why did they put it on here?

The best moment on the whole album is during "Invisible Touch" when Collins sings: "And though she will f**k up your life". You go Phil! The best songs here are the ones not from We Can't Dance. This would be of interest to people who think Three Sides Live is the greatest thing since sliced bread and wanted a follow up. That old lady down the street might like this. Tell her to steal it because it's not worth anything. Awful. Useless. Waste of money. 1 star.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#306661) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 25, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars Short songs to dance to? who needs it?

Ah this is the short song live thing that came out at the same time as the longs which is infinitely better. There are some radio singles here to groove to if that's your thing. We have the best and the worst of Genesis on these releases. The best on this particular compilation is Land Of Confusion, No Son Of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, Mama, In Too Deep ? songs that have some merit for great melodic washes of music and Collins at his cynical best on vocals and even pouring out some emotion.

The worst are easier to spot; Throwing It All Away, I Can't Dance, Hold On My Heart, That's All, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Invisible Touch ? all of which are singles that have no prog and are really products of the retro 80s and as a result genuine throwaways. To hear them again on the live set only justifies the reason I cannot stand this type of music. The cheesy lyrics, girly synths and downright saccharine coated melodies are insufferable.

Bring on the 'Longs' live album which runs circles around this radio commercial tripe.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#589732) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
1 stars This is one of two live albums released by Genesis in the early nineties. The second one captures the bands longer pieces and this one as you've probably guessed from the title sticks to the shorter songs. In other words Genesis at their very worst on all that slick and insipid eighties pop.

Even the band realised that it was perhaps not the best idea to separate the set into longs and shorts, something they redressed when these were rereleased on the live box set. As this stands if you didn't enjoy their eighties commercial years then there's nothing to excite you here. It's all very competent as you'd expect but very dull and bland with barely a redeeming feature. Genesis were capable of writing a great pop song as they proved with Turn It On Again but even that is absent from this uninspiring choice of songs. As a matter of interest it does appear on the aforementioned live box version.

You won't find any prog here, just eighties pop, so steer well clear unless you need a live album of this once great band at their lowest ebb.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#590820) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 18, 2011

3 stars The Way We Walk Volume One: The Shorts consists predominantly of the hits taken from Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance. (The exception being Mama). It's a pity that Abacab is missing. The title is actually a line from the 1973 release "I know What I like" from Selling England by the Pound. ... (read more)

Report this review (#351531) | Posted by KeepItDark | Monday, December 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

2 stars A big mistake. The decision of separate in two different albums the We can't dance tour with the addition of some songs of previous tours, was in my opinion a big mistake. TWWW The Shorts, includes only the non prog stuff which many pop hits. By this way, the album has nothing to do with a pro ... (read more)

Report this review (#288851) | Posted by genbanks | Thursday, July 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This first volume of the 'Way We Walk - We Can't Dance world tour' series is the less interesting, because it's really poppy. Good songs, nice version, but no surprises here, no great moments. I love Mama, No Son Of Mine, Land Of Confusion and In Too Deep, and I'm glad there is this magnifique j ... (read more)

Report this review (#164041) | Posted by Zardoz | Sunday, March 16, 2008 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Buy the video instead! When this album was released, two volumes were available separately and "The Shorts" is definitely the worst of the two. The songs get repetitve and dragging and degrade the listening pleasure of a tour. The second volume at least has some fighting punch since it ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#10663) | Posted by | Tuesday, May 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am in two minds about this album. First off, the songs played are not that bad, but it shows just how much they changed and become a commercial money -making machine. The title is rather strange as theses songs are not that short. I also object to it being divided as this should (and was eve ... (read more)

Report this review (#10662) | Posted by Prog_head | Thursday, February 24, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars First off--if you read these reviews, as I do, to gauge if you should increase your progressive rock collection with the reviewed disc, then read this first: THIS IS NOT A PROGRESSIVE ROCK DISC. This IS a good live set of some well-known 80's and 90's rock hits, with some nice guitar playing ... (read more)

Report this review (#10658) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars These are wonderful versions of Genesis' most commercial hits (which are mainly taken from the 'invisible touch' and the 'we can't dance' album. I certainly prefer these versions to the studio versions, for the most part. The reason? the guitar shines through here. I'm talking about the solos i ... (read more)

Report this review (#10657) | Posted by | Saturday, February 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Why do we (progreviewers) spend time with these :Greatest hits/Compilations/Best of... as they probably are an invention/imagination of the record companyīs or better still their calculation of how to make more money!! You have to agree with me, that all of the abowe mentioned items...are solel ... (read more)

Report this review (#10649) | Posted by Tonny Larz | Friday, June 04, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts"