Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage CD (album) cover

MAIDEN VOYAGE

Herbie Hancock

progrules
4 stars I can't help myself but listening to Maiden Voyage after having listened to Sextant and Crossings quite a lot of times is like coddling oneself with a nice warm bath or something. My first experience with Hancock's music was The Prisoner and that's more or less the same style as this earlier Maiden Voyage. And I must admit this is the Hancock I prefer (over the "Mwandishi-Hancock").

Okay, I admit this is far less challenging and maybe even less interesting but I can't help being a sucker for real music and in this case main stream jazz like also Davis plays it in most cases. It's even a legitimate question whether this is prog at all. Probably just jazz prog related. But since also his main stream jazz albums are in the Archives I feel warranted to review them as well. Even though I will not check out all (some 40 ?) of them I guess... I will have to add that it's an excellent addition to any jazz collection (instead of any prog collection)

progrules | 4/5 |