Riverside - Memories In My Head CD (album) cover

MEMORIES IN MY HEAD

Riverside

Starhammer
4 stars The soundtrack to your mind...

When bands release lengthy EPs between albums they generally fall into one of two categories. There are the fan appeasing, profile maintaining exercises in self derivation, and then there are the 'toe dipping', damage limitating experimental releases that hint at a possible new direction.

Memories in My Head certainly falls into the latter category. The sound is easily recognisable as Riverside, but quite a departure from the magnificent 'Anno Domini High Definition'. For me it falls somewhere between 'Out of Myself' and Mariusz Duda's 'Lunatic Soul' side project.

It does take a while to appreciate, but once hooked I find it a truly addictive listening experience. A perfect blend of atmosphere and intrigue, all three tracks are excellent, but my stand out favourite has got to be the enigmatic Forgotten Land.

The Verdict: Memories in My Head might only scrape past the half-hour mark, but I still consider it to be an important addition to any Riverside collection.

Starhammer | 4/5 |