MEMORIES IN MY HEAD

Riverside

Riverside Memories In My Head album cover

Buy RIVERSIDE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2011

1. Goodbye Sweet Innocence (10:40)
2. Living In The Past (11:59)
3. Forgotten Land (9:57)

Search RIVERSIDE Memories In My Head lyrics

Search RIVERSIDE Memories In My Head tabs

- Mariusz Duda / vocal, bass, acoustic guitar
- Piotr Grudziński / guitars
- Piotr Kozieradzki / drums
- Michał Łapaj / keyboards, hammond organs, theremin

June 20th, 2011
Metal Mind Productions (Poland), Glassville Records (Europe), Laser's Edge (USA)

Thanks to sfranke for the addition

RIVERSIDE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy RIVERSIDE Memories In My Head Music

Rapid Eye MovementRapid Eye Movement
Inside Out Music 2007
OneOne
Warner Bros / Wea 1992
EXC/NM LP~MILT JACKSON~SEXTET~Invitation~[Original 1962 RIVERSIDE~STEREO~Issue]~ US $43.90 Buy It Now 29m 48s
JOHNNY LYTLE TRIO: HAPPY GROUND riverside LP / STEREO NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
30m 18s
America 45 "Riverside / I Need You" US $5.24 Buy It Now 42m 22s
WES MONTGOMERY TRIO - DYNAMIC NEW SOUND * RIVERSIDE STEREO LP JAPAN EX/NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
Luka Bloom Riverside Cassette US $2.00 [0 bids]
ECOS DEL PASADO LOS MAS GRANDES DE CUBA CELIA RIVERSIDE NEW-SEALED CASSETTE US $5.49 Buy It Now 1h 18m
FATS NAVARRO - GOOD BAIT * RIVERSIDE JAZZ LP EX/NM US $9.99 [0 bids]
PHILLY JOE JONES SEXTET: BLUES FOR DRACULA riverside LP / MONO DG EX US $48.77 [8 bids]
RANDY WESTON TRIO & CECIL PAYNE: JAZZ A LA BOHEMIA riverside LP / OJC NM US $8.00 [1 bids]
VARIOUS "Riverside Dixieland Sampler" LP 1957 Riverside Records S-1 MONO US $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 49m
CHET BAKER Chet THE LYRICAL TRUMPET of..RIVERSIDE free UK post US $21.18 Buy It Now 2h 3m
LOWELL VARNEY & LANDON MESSER: Riverside Grass LP (w/ Ralph Stanley) Bluegrass US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
VICTOR FELDMAN: MERRY OLDE SOUL riverside LP / hank jones sam jones STEREO DG US $10.50 [2 bids]
JOHNNY "HAMMOND" SMITH A Little Taste RIVERSIDE RS-9496 Stereo US $9.99 [0 bids]
FATHER JOSEPH DUSTIN More Songs.. RIVERSIDE SEALED US $14.95 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Riverside Revisited, Bach, Hebble, Dickinson, Bingham, Very Good US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Compositions of Horace Silver LP Riverside Records RLP-3509 Mono Deep Groove US $9.99 [0 bids]
Zoot Sims Quintet - Zoot! Riverside 12-228 white label LP US $19.99 [1 bids]
3h
Eddie "CleanHead" Vinson 45 Hold It (riverside) US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 8m
THELONIOUS MONK w/SONNY ROLLINS CLARK TERRY VINYL BRILLIANT CORNERS RIVERSIDE DE US $50.99 [3 bids]
RED GARLAND - Bright and Breezy ~ RIVERSIDE/victor 6099 **stereo** w/Sam Jones US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
LIVE The Cannonball Adderly Quintet at the Lighthouse MONO 344 Riverside 12" LP US $24.00 Buy It Now 3h 58m
America Riverside 45 RPM Warner Bros.7580 US $0.99 [0 bids]
VAUGHN-Soldiers and Sailors On Riverside CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
Jazz 45 SAM JONES ORCHESTRA Unit 7 on Riverside US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 17m
AMERICA - I Need You / Riverside - 1972 VG+ CANADA US $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 31m
COPS IN CONCERT: First Offense 1987 LP Riverside CA Private Press SEALED US $95.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
RENE CABEL Cita Con la Orq. Riverside LATIN LP Shrink PUCHITO Deep Groove US $5.00 [0 bids]
1987 Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard Jazz CD Stereo Riverside US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bev Kelly In Person Rare Riverside Jazz LP Mono RLP-345 NM- VG++ US $35.00 Buy It Now 4h 58m
The History Of Classic Jazz Riverside SDP11 Box Set of 5 over 60 selections US $55.00 [0 bids]
Thelonius Monk "Monk's Music" Riverside RLP 12-242 mono VG++ vinyl US $44.95 [0 bids]
Billy Riley - No Name Girl/Down by the Riverside - Sun 313 VG+ US $20.00 [0 bids]
James P. Johnson Riverside 1011 10" Early Harlem Piano US $45.00 [0 bids]
RIVERSIDE TRIO FLAT BROKE ROCKABILLY LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Lp Banjo Songs Blue Ridge & Great Smokies Obray Ramsay Bill Grauer Riverside 649 US $34.95 Buy It Now 6h 19m
BILL BAIRD Slugger Ryan LP Riverside/Wonderland 1426 US $12.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
The Best of Wes Montgomery [Riverside] by Wes Montgomery (CD, Aug-2004,... US $8.23 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Don Friedman Circle Waltz Japanese vinyl LP album record SMJ-6082 RIVERSIDE US $48.66 Buy It Now 9h 57m
The Cannonball Adderley Quintet Plus/ Riverside/ Mono/ New Zealand Pressing US $19.95 Buy It Now 10h 19m
JELLY ROLL MORTON Boyhood Memories LP Riverside RLP9001 US $10.07 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Jack Teagarden - Big Eight! / Pee Wee Russell's Rhythmakers LP Riverside Records US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 10m
RANDY WESTON TRIO / JAZZ A LA BOHEMIA / OR RIVERSIDE WHITE DG LABEL US $26.00 [3 bids]
CANNONBALL ADDERLEY / PORTRAIT OF /OR RIVERSIDE LP / BILL EVANS / BLUE MITCHEL US $102.50 [16 bids]
ROOSEVELT WARDELL TRIO / THE REVELATION / OR RIVERSIDE DG LABEL/NM US $20.00 [1 bids]
RIVERSIDE - SHRINE OF NEW GENERATION SLAVES NEW CD US $23.11 Buy It Now 15h 4m
CLARK TERRY - DUKE WITH A DIFFERENCE - RIVERSIDE RLP 12-0246-DEEP GROOVE - RARE US $130.00 Buy It Now 15h 50m
TERRY LIGHTFOOT King Kong / Riverside Blues 1961 Columbia 7" VERY GOOD US $8.39 Buy It Now 15h 59m
Ysef LATEEF The Centaur and the Phoenix Riverside 9337 US $20.00 [0 bids]
RARE Sounds of Sebring 1956 Grand Prix Sports Car Race Lp RIVERSIDE Interviews US $7.99 [0 bids]
KENNY DORHAM/SONNY ROLLINS JAZZ CONTRASTS RIVERSIDE JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 17h 2m
Ozzy Osbourne Riverside Concert Poster 16" x 12" Promo Photograph US $8.40 Buy It Now 17h 11m
RIVERSIDE FOLKLORE 4 cd Bob Gibson BLUES Jean Ritchie Folk Revival IRELAND US $39.99 [0 bids]
CHARLIE BYRD VINYL LATIN IMPRESSIONS RIVERSIDE RLP 9427 RECORD US $29.99 [0 bids]
THE ELMER SNOWDEN QUARTET harlem banjo LP VG+ RLP 348 Riverside 1960 Mono DG US $20.00 Buy It Now 18h 10m
Charlie Rich 45 America The Beautiful (1976) / Down By The Riverside w/ts US $3.00 Buy It Now 18h 20m
RIVERSIDE FOLKLORE 4 cd Bob Gibson BLUES Jean Ritchie Folk Revival IRELAND US $40.00 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Mahalia Jackson BLACK GOSPEL EP-Columbia 2636-Summertime/Down By The Riverside US $12.95 Buy It Now 18h 40m
The Essential Sonny Rollins On Riverside US $6.99 Buy It Now 18h 43m
LP 10"_WILD BILL DAVISON w/ ALL STAR STOMPERS Baby Dodds RIVERSIDE RLP 2514-VG US $9.00 [0 bids]
The Dukes Of Dixieland Down By The Riverside Cassette Tape 1994 MCA Records US $5.99 Buy It Now 19h 2m
Nat Adderley Little Big Horn Orig DG Mono Promo Copy Riverside-474 NM US $124.99 Buy It Now 19h 8m
"AFRICAN COAST RHYTHMS" - TRIBAL & FOLK MUSIC OF WEST AFRICA, "RIVERSIDE", EX US $7.28 [4 bids]
America Warner Bros Records 45 I Need You / Riverside WB 7580 US $1.99 Buy It Now 19h 37m
THELONIOUS MONK " IN SAN FRANCISCO" RIVERSIDE (RLP-1213) ORIGINAL~(Mono) US $35.00 [0 bids]
Blue Mitchell "Smooth As The Wind" Original LP DG Riverside US $29.99 Buy It Now 19h 45m
Ace Cannon & His Alto Sax - Amen / Down By The Riverside - Promo - 45 RPM -MINT- US $4.99 Buy It Now 19h 45m
FRANZ JACKSON chicago the living legends LP VG+ RLP 9406 Vinyl 1961 Riverside DG US $40.00 Buy It Now 19h 52m
V/A "RIVERSIDE ROCKABILLIES" 10" LP CRAWDADS AL HOLDEN ROCKABILLY US $10.07 [0 bids]
20h
America 45 & PS I Need You / Riverside (Rock) EX US $8.00 Buy It Now 20h 5m
EVERYBODY DIGS BILL EVANS / Riverside 12-291 -CD/ BILL EVANS TRIO /0090204704729 US $5.79 [0 bids]
SASCHA BURLAND MASON ADAMS Riverside SEALED LP US $20.00 Buy It Now 21h 19m
David Thorne The Alley Cat Song 7" 45 Riverside R4530 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 20m
DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE [COLUMBIA RIVER] - NEW CD BOXSET US $7.67 Buy It Now 21h 23m
Cannonball Adderley Live Lighthouse Riverside RLP 344 Blue Lable UK Ex+/NM LP US $6.71 [1 bids]
Eddie Lockjaw Davis Afro-Jaws Riverside (Ace) Clark Terry STEREO RSLP373 NM LP US $6.71 [0 bids]
Folk Songs for LITTLE SAILORS Vinyl LP Riverside Records WONDERLAND SERIES US $25.00 [0 bids]
Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby 1983 Italian Pressing from Riverside Rar US $25.00 [0 bids]
RIVERSIDE Duke Ellington Sample LP w MONK Lateef Shrink US $19.00 Buy It Now 22h 40m
THE SERENADERS Two Lovers Make One Fool/Adios My 45 RPM Riverside Records VG+ US $40.00 Buy It Now 22h 47m
A Date with Riverside vinyl LP Clark Terry, Coleman Hawkins, etc US $12.95 Buy It Now 23h 6m
Blue Mitchell-"Smooth as The Wind" 1961 Original RIVERSIDE DG MONO LP EXC.! US $9.99 [0 bids]
CHARLIE BYRD Guitar Artistry Riverside lp US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Herbie Mann Sultry Serenade vinyl LP 1957 RIVERSIDE US $39.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE STONEMEN JUG BAND RIVERSIDE STOMP CD DISC IS NEAR MINT US $13.56 Buy It Now 1 day
LOU COURTNEY Skate Now original Riverside original Gatefold lp US $64.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ace cannon 7" 45 amen/down by the riverside hi 45-2166 vg++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LAUREL RIVER VALLEY BOYS-DANCE ALL NIGHT WITH A BOTTLE-RIVERSIDE 7504 VG/VG+ LP US $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE Riverside Modern Jazz Sampler Thelonious Monk LP Record Near Mint US $14.00 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love + Baby Come On Home Traveling Riverside Blues US $9.99 [1 bids]
Johnny Griffin Orchestra THE BIG SOUL BAND 1960 USA Mono Riverside RLP 331lp US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cannonball Adderley-"African Waltz" 1961 Original RIVERSIDE DG MONO LP! US $9.99 [0 bids]
GEORGE BAKER SELECTION - DRINK DRINK / DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE * RARE TURKISH EDT. US $2.99 [0 bids]
GIANTS OF SMALL-BAND SWING VOL. 2 Riverside Records LP DICKY WELLS CECIL SCOTT US $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED Jazz 2 LP New Orleans Living Legends Jim Robinson's Band Riverside 369 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
(DS207) Sidney Samson ft Wizard Sleeve, Riverside (Let's Go!) - 2009 DJ DVD US $5.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Cannonball Adderley Sextet RARE RIVERSIDE PROMO gemini mint record 45 JAZZ NR US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bobby Timmons/Trio/In Person/RLP9391/Riverside/VG+/DG US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
XANADU The Last Sunrise NEW CD PROG Porcupine Tree, Sylvan, Riverside, Pendragon US $9.99 [0 bids]
4 CD Riverside Record Story Box Set Various Compilation 53 Track EXC US $14.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy RIVERSIDE music online Buy RIVERSIDE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for RIVERSIDE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

RIVERSIDE Memories In My Head ratings distribution

RIVERSIDE Memories In My Head reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars 32 minutes of solid gold atmospheric prog metal!

I own all of Riverside's albums and it has been a while between listens but it was an absolute pleasure to return to their inimitable style on this new EP. Immediately the Riverside sound is there on 'Goodbye Sweet Innocence', with a squealing feedback sound over a throbbing drone. It is pitch dark and atmospheric, gaining volume and power until the drones fade and a backwards guitar is heard. Finally a clean guitar breaks in and feedback slashes across the sound, allowing room for the quiet vocals of Mariusz Duda. The lyrics are based around the trials of life, the regrets of the past, and the changes we experience; "stuck in the crossroads of time". The lead break of Piotr Grudziński is delightful. The violin sound section is effective, and the strong keyboard solo, making this one of the most atmospheric of Riverside's repertoire. A great start.

Next is 'Living In The Past', not a Jethro Tull cover, but a very well structured song about what we leave behind as we move through life's difficulties and overcome them. The effects of keyboard swirls adds an ethereal quality. The guitar solo at the beginning is beautiful, haunting and passionate. The blasts of organ and guitar complement one another, and there is a very Pink Floyd like vibe to this. The vocals are fresh with lyrics that are memorable; "cancel all light, I'm not going to live like everyone, and I don't care if the signs are over, my future is living in the past." The little riff in the next section sounds Arabian. Eventually the song bursts into a heavy distortion and lengthy instrumental break that pounds along with sensational keyboards. Another terrific song highlighted by an inventive structure and very bold instrumentation.

Lastly, 'Forgotten Land' begins with minimal bass pulses, echoes of high pitched guitar, pounding drums come in, then the vocals; "there was a kingdom here a city full of lights". The lyrics focus on the ancient days of a lost civilisation where gods were believed, the Greek mythology perhaps, they "Call themselves gods above everything and everyone" and then the song talks about how the people build monuments to their deities, "faster and faster, higher and higher, great temples of gold glitter in the sun, the gods assured of themselves never lost their pride." The track builds gradually into some powerful soundscapes of emotionally moving guitar and vocals. "How quickly they die! How quickly they turn into dust," is sung with venom and is a phrase that is memorable on this song. The instrumental section that follows is absolutely mesmerising, chilling effects and ambient keyboard motifs and guitar swells.

On this new EP, Mariusz Duda is very good on vocals, at times aggressive and then passive and melancholy. His bass and acoustic guitar work is well executed. Piotr Grudziński has a chance to shine on some incredible lead breaks. Piotr Kozieradzki is an accomplished drummer who knows when to crash down and when to hold back on gentle hi hat work. The real treasure of the musicscape is Michał Łapaj who is a wizard on keyboards.

If this is a sign of the next Riverside album, we are in for a real treat. This is a sensational EP, it grows on you with every listen, and every track is offering amazing high quality progressive metal.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#451670) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review by lor68
3 stars Well, you know that usually I don't like the metal-prog music genre, even though there are some interesting features inside the present EP, in spite of the uneven structure of the songs and their continuous melancholic mood, which also characterized the earlier albums by Riverside.

In fact at the end I can appreciate their effort as a Polish Prog Band singing in English and trying to be a bit distant from the typical clichè of this genre, regarding in particular the good vocalism by Mariusz Duda.

Probably They cannot give up incorporating the elements of a kind of New Progressive Wave in the vein of Marillion and alredy used by another Polish Band, Collage; but it could be a minor defect after all, even though the sense of melody- belonging to the keyboardplayer and also the sound colour, seem to be their secure music imprinting. The unique defect consists of a few melodies that probably have been chosen as a filler- or perhaps being recovered from some unreleased previous issues- and moreover the sound mix is not at the top...I don't understand the title of track#2 "Living in the Past", which is not a tribute to Jethro Tull, but the arrangement is good and the vocal work as well.

In general I think of the performance at the guitar (especially inside the first suite) by Piotr Grudziński, finding a perfect complementary instrument into a quite delightful violin section, which can be so sweet...and even though I can't get crazy for the simplistic drum work and the vibes from the synth (always according to the style of the seventies), the intelligent lyrics within the last track and their fascinating imagination regarding the presence of Gods (from the Ancient Cretans of the Greek Civilization to the Maya Era, too much earlier vanishing as for a traumatic event or whatever else), let me change idea about the "taste" of the band!

Not essential EP (for the diehard fans only, I think) but it's not bad, after all!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#497855) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 05, 2011

5 stars Without question this is the best RIVERSIDE release I have heard. To commemorate their 10 years in existance the band released this almost 33 minute EP of three songs.The tracks do blend into one another making this feel like one long ride. And what a ride it is ! I knew something was up when I saw the picture of the band in the liner notes. I've never seen these guys smiling before, but here they are looking happy in this warehouse that would other-wise be quite dark except the sun is streaming through the windows up high in the roof and on the sides.Why is this so meaningful ? I kept thinking of it during the first track as we get this dark atmosphere early but then the light shines through in such an uplifting manner that it causes emotion.That dark / light contrast is what this album is all about just like that picture.Travis Smith did the cover art and as usual he did a great job. I have to believe that Mr.Duda's solo project had to have some impact on the direction they took here.This is more in the style of the debut (which was my favourite album from them until now) but even better.

"Goodbye Sweet Innocence" is the best track i've ever heard from this band. Atmosphere galore to start then we hear some guitar after 2 1/2 minutes coming out of the darkness. Reserved vocals are next followed by drums. My God talk about feeling transformed by what comes in after 3 1/2 minutes. So beautiful before 5 1/2 minutes. It's turning heavier before 7 minutes and we get some huge bass lines too.The atmosphere is back before 10 1/2 minutes as it blends into "Living In The Past" .Drums join in and I must say that this is so freaking good ! Bass and guitar are next then vocals before 2 1/2 minutes. It gets fairly intense then it settles back before 4 1/2 minutes.Love the guitar that follows.It kicks back in before 6 minutes.The organ before 6 1/2 minutes is killer. Amazing sound after 10 1/2 minutes. It settles to end it then it blends into "Forgotten Land". A beat comes out of the atmosphere then guitar expressions followed by chunky bass. Nice.Vocals are next and they do get passionate before 4 minutes.Some great sounding guitar here too.The organ comes in when the vocals stop. Atmosphere after 7 1/2 minutes. Electronics then arrives as the spacey waves continue.

Congrats to the band on 10 years and thankyou for the many great albums over the years, especially this one.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#502421) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 13, 2011

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Since the very start in 2003 I am a fan of this band. Their debut 'Out Of Myself' absolutely amazed me. Over the course of several albums they surely have refined the sound, especially the keyboards and Duda's vocals which are way more variable today. Probably I'm a bit nostalgic, but I always liked to come back to the early spirit though ... and this EP bears something of it I would say, don't ask me why - perhaps it is only because they provide their distinctive mixture of heavy art rock and prog metal again on 'Memories In My Head'.

Goodbye Sweet Innocence they promise .. and probably the cosmic intro is meant which they deliver. What follows IS innocent mellow though, somewhat balladesque, until they turn into some heavier and tricky moments lately. Living In The Past starts with a nice relaxed groove but also shows a heavier, agressive execution furthermore, including headbanging qualities. Rather tricky again due to several twists and turns. Forgotten Land does not fall back while beautifullly variating from ethereal moments to agressive outbreaks.

Memories in your head are following voices in your head. There is nothing considerably new to state from a stylistical point of view in my opinion, but this surely are three thrilling new songs from RIVERSIDE, featuring compositional brilliance. Once more matchless is Piotr Grudzinski's sensitive and clean guitar work, an important trademark of course. Michal Lapaj is certainly successful in the meanwhile in putting in his notable impact. By all means an excellent addition to your collection, my dear prog lover.

Send comments to Rivertree (BETA) | Report this review (#510736) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Talking about a departure from a winning concept!

Just when I had Riverside figured out and sorted under modern prog masters they decided to shift their course once more toward the atmospheric style that almost turned psychedelic on Rapid Eye Movement. Luckily, I'm one of the few who actually happened to enjoy that slight change of direction that the band has taken on their third studio outing. So why am I not entirely convinced by their 2011 EP Memories In My Head?

First off, I just didn't find any of these compositions memorable enough to stand out among the vast majority of groovy atmospheric compositions that Riverside have released over the years. None of them is annoying in any way but they just don't make for any real standout moments. Yes, Goodbye Sweet Innocence has the whole Hackett-sounding vibe of guitar in a few notable places going for it. Living In The Past is the most melodic of the three with some nice solo guitar spots and prominent melodies, sounding almost like a crossover between Camel and Pink Floyd. Forgotten Land is, in my opinion, the most ambitious piece of the bunch. Still, even this is not nearly as close to the level that was set by Anno Domini High Definition.

My biggest problem with this EP is the lack of any real purpose to it. Riverside aren't exploring any new territories with this new material and it almost feels like the band decided to take a short departure in between their forth and fifth studio releases. That, per se, isn't a bad things since there is clearly a lot of passion in these performances but it still doesn't justify an excellent release rating for me.

**** star songs: Living In The Past (11:59) Forgotten Land (9:57)

*** star songs: Goodbye Sweet Innocence (10:40)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#581964) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 04, 2011

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Released as an inbetween to please the fans while they wait for the next album, this "Memories In My Head" is head and shoulders the weakest release I've seen from Riverside. There's an all pervading sense of disinterest, cliche, routine and lack of inspiration in every lengthy track on this album. Despite loving the guy, I will blame this mostly on Mariusz Duda.

The vocals are one of the main attractions for me in Riverside, but how they fail me here, Duda mumbles his way through almost unidentifiable vocal melodies that sound like 300 others he's done before. Considering how strong his melodies and delivery were for Lunatic Soul I can only conclude he wasn't into this at all. But also the guitars could be better, the main hooks on this EP have all been heard on countless other Riverside (and Marillion) songs.

Around minute 7 to 8 into "Goodbye Sweet Innocence", the band tries to save what they can and bring about an enjoyable jam. I hope that Riverside recognizes their potential in this area and will further explore this sort of improvised interaction. It's clear to me that continuing their same old kind of songwriting without having the hooks to make 'm memorable will not do for me.

A pointless EP for me with very average songs that have been stretched out to totally inappropriate lengths. I quite liked it the first time around but with every new listen my enthusiasm decreased. My dear wife (and Riverside fan) immediately told me it was entirely forgettable. Yeah, I should listen to her more, and spare me the trouble of listening 10 times to this 30 minutes of grey dullness. Sounds like the artwork, for fans only.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#584632) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 08, 2011

Review by Starhammer
4 stars The soundtrack to your mind...

When bands release lengthy EPs between albums they generally fall into one of two categories. There are the fan appeasing, profile maintaining exercises in self derivation, and then there are the 'toe dipping', damage limitating experimental releases that hint at a possible new direction.

Memories in My Head certainly falls into the latter category. The sound is easily recognisable as Riverside, but quite a departure from the magnificent 'Anno Domini High Definition'. For me it falls somewhere between 'Out of Myself' and Mariusz Duda's 'Lunatic Soul' side project.

It does take a while to appreciate, but once hooked I find it a truly addictive listening experience. A perfect blend of atmosphere and intrigue, all three tracks are excellent, but my stand out favourite has got to be the enigmatic Forgotten Land.

The Verdict: Memories in My Head might only scrape past the half-hour mark, but I still consider it to be an important addition to any Riverside collection.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#613905) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 20, 2012

4 stars Riverside's Memories in my head in only an EP with three songs totaling little more than 30 minutes. But it feels like a complete album. A wholesome artistic statement, what to me is a definition of an album, as opposed to, you know, a bunch of songs. Here Riverside show their atmospheric side. S ... (read more)

Report this review (#1143432) | Posted by Progrussia | Friday, March 07, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Memories In My Head is a 3 piece EP by the Polish band Riverside, this is a short one yet very complicated and loaded with a lot of a kind of new sound which at least I never heard before. This great EP starts with some kind of a strange sound of a fan or something like this with some spook ... (read more)

Report this review (#917799) | Posted by FenderX | Friday, February 22, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4/5 2011 marked the 10th year of existence for the Polish progressive metal outfit Riverside, and they celebrated with a "Jubilee year" tour of Europe, the release of the 6-cd Reality Dream box set (combining the first three albums with additional material), and with the promise of a new albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#746522) | Posted by ergaster | Sunday, April 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 10/10 A pleasant surprise (and a possible indication of the future of Riverside). When this wonderful band will release a new album? Because after what I heard on his album Anno Domini High Definition and now Memories In My Head I yearn for more news. Mariusz Duda (bass and vocals), Piotr ... (read more)

Report this review (#628275) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, February 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, with their first album they shocked me, with their second one they conquired me, with the third one they just seemed to be human, then with their fourth album they became the best modern progressive metal band. Ah, by the way in the meantime I forgot Voices in my head EP, not like their ... (read more)

Report this review (#479172) | Posted by victor73 | Saturday, July 09, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Riverside, no doubt is now very mature. First albums had an interest concept of prog metal but not very creative. I really think nowadays Riverside is not a prog metal project but a experimental post metal prog rock act with touches of the psychedelic space rock of Pink Floyd. Very good ... (read more)

Report this review (#451350) | Posted by robbob | Monday, May 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars What an album. I can't seem to get enough of this lately. Saw them on tour and picked up this EP there. Incredible- these guys are getting better and better. The songs are tasteful and I particularly like Michal Lapaj's keyboard work. A great mix of discretion and power when needed, and the sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#450294) | Posted by Droidmaster | Friday, May 20, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RIVERSIDE "Memories In My Head"