Hiromi Uehara - Voice CD (album) cover

Hiromi Uehara

3 stars This good-looking (sorry if it's sexist to say that!) Japanese keyboardist-composer is said to be one of the latest comets in the jazz world. Here she's teamed with a bassist (Anthony Jackson, plays electric bass) and a drummer I believe many of us know: Simon Phillips, who comes entirely from the rock world as far as I know. Also Hiromi uses electric keyboards here and there, and one can sense some rock in the trio's playing. The term power trio has been used. Hiromi herself is a virtuoso with influences both from classical music and prog such as King Crimson and Frank Zappa (according to her artist info page here). Compositions are Hiromi's except the final track which is an adaption of Beethovens' "Pathetique" Piano Sonata.

Maybe I had some trouble digesting this album. Piano trio is definitely one of my favourite things in jazz, and I also enjoy Fusion. But somehow I prefer to keep them separate. I'm used to hear wider choice of instruments in Fusion (guitar, electric violin, trumpet, whatever), and from a piano trio I expect more delicacy and emotion. That is, while I certainly sensed the power and skill in this trio, the music left me rather cold. It's complex, intense, energetic and at times even fiery. I may want to listen to her other albums with other line-ups, but I admit this particular album didn't become one of my favourites from recent years. However I believe many of those PA readers who listen to jazz too, might want to lend an ear.

Matti | 3/5 |