VOICE

5. Labyrinth (7:40)
6. Desire (7:16)
7. Haze (5:49)
8. Delusion (7:43)
9. Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8, Pathetique (5:13)

Search HIROMI UEHARA Voice lyrics

Search HIROMI UEHARA Voice tabs

- Hiromi Uehara /piano
- Anthony Jackson /bass
- Simon Phillips /drums

Released March 22, 2011

Telarc

Thanks to darkshade for the addition

HIROMI UEHARA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HIROMI UEHARA Voice Music

Super Audio CD - DSD · Import
PID 2008
Place To BePlace To Be
Universal Japan/Zoom 2009

More places to buy HIROMI UEHARA music online Buy HIROMI UEHARA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HIROMI UEHARA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HIROMI UEHARA Voice ratings distribution

HIROMI UEHARA Voice reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars This good-looking (sorry if it's sexist to say that!) Japanese keyboardist-composer is said to be one of the latest comets in the jazz world. Here she's teamed with a bassist (Anthony Jackson, plays electric bass) and a drummer I believe many of us know: Simon Phillips, who comes entirely from the rock world as far as I know. Also Hiromi uses electric keyboards here and there, and one can sense some rock in the trio's playing. The term power trio has been used. Hiromi herself is a virtuoso with influences both from classical music and prog such as King Crimson and Frank Zappa (according to her artist info page here). Compositions are Hiromi's except the final track which is an adaption of Beethovens' "Pathetique" Piano Sonata.

Maybe I had some trouble digesting this album. Piano trio is definitely one of my favourite things in jazz, and I also enjoy Fusion. But somehow I prefer to keep them separate. I'm used to hear wider choice of instruments in Fusion (guitar, electric violin, trumpet, whatever), and from a piano trio I expect more delicacy and emotion. That is, while I certainly sensed the power and skill in this trio, the music left me rather cold. It's complex, intense, energetic and at times even fiery. I may want to listen to her other albums with other line-ups, but I admit this particular album didn't become one of my favourites from recent years. However I believe many of those PA readers who listen to jazz too, might want to lend an ear.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#637744) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review by darkshade
COLLABORATOR Jazz Rock/Fusion Team
5 stars This album is great. I like all of Hiromi's albums, but this one, along with her classic album "Time Control", is among the best fusion albums you'll come across this side of the 21st century. Besides the fact that she is a virtuoso pianist, she also knows how to write a tune, catchy melodies, and top that off with some of the best jazz piano playing ever. She does dabble with keyboard sounds on all her albums, this album is no exception. Thing is, don't expect too much, as this is mostly a piano-dominated record, with bass and drums backing her up. But as I said, her piano playing is great, and there are some tracks that are just so beautiful, it may make you cry ;) Cuts like "Temptation" really bring out her soul and contain some gorgeous playing from her.

But this is a fusion album, and the record starts off with the title song, in progressive rock fashion, piano riffs galore. The next track is a reprise of a tune from her other masterpiece album "Time Control", something she's been doing for most of her catalog. So she has the 'rock' mentality for sure, she just doesn't need guitars or keyboard effects to achieve what she needs to. I will admit, I do somewhat miss her quartet that is on Time Control and Beyond Standard, but since this is labeled as a "Trio Project" hopefully they'll return on a future album. Get this album, one of the best modern jazz/fusion albums, and nice to hear such a good album coming out in a year like 2011.

Send comments to darkshade (BETA) | Report this review (#778519) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012

5 stars It's funny because Time Control by Hiromi is part of the best, or most important, album in my life but, although Voce is not in there, it's my favorite album of her. Any album that start with a song like Voice deserve to be listen at least once in the life of a prog/jazz fan because, it's so t ... (read more)

Report this review (#833962) | Posted by Fido73 | Saturday, October 06, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HIROMI UEHARA "Voice"