Supertramp - Some Things Never Change  CD (album) cover

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE

Supertramp

Easy Livin
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Some things need to change!

It is, I suppose, unfair to keep harping on about Roger Hodgson when this is Supertramp's third album without him, but when he left he took the essence of the band with him. I keep buying albums bearing the Supertramp name though, in the vain hope that they will come up with another "Crime of the century", or even "Breakfast in America".

Rick Davies jazz/blues influence on the band worked well when kept in check by Hodgson's more rock orientated work. When Davies took over completely though, the balance was lost, and Supertramp's work came to be much more dominated by those jazz influences. Personally, I find Davies voice to be one of those I can listen to in small doses, but his gruff drawl is hard going for a whole album.

The music here is well crafted and performed. Most are funky jazz rock pieces, but there are softer tracks such as the passable John Lennon impersonation on "Live to love you" which has similarities to "From now on". There's almost gospel ("Help me down that road"), and lounge ("Live to love you"). On "Sooner or later" I'm guessing that Mark Hart takes on vocals, it certainly is not Davies. His vocals make for a pleasant change, being lighter and more melodic.

For those who enjoyed Davies contributions to the early work of Supertramp, this album is well worth seeking out. For those who pine for the return of Hodgson, there will still be some appeal, but don't expect too much.

Easy Livin | 3/5 |