SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE

Supertramp Some Things Never Change album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy SUPERTRAMP Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. It's A Hard World (9:46)
2. You Win, I Lose (4:31)
3. Get Your Act Together (4:49)
4. Live To Love You (5:18)
5. Some Things Never Change (6:26)
6. Listen To Me Please (4:46)
7. Sooner Or Later (6:50)
8. Help Me Down That Road (4:36)
9. And The Light (4:40)
10. Give Me A Chance (4:24) *
11. C'est What? (8:17)
12. Where There's A Will (5:36)

Total time 69:59

* Hidden track

Search SUPERTRAMP Some Things Never Change lyrics

Search SUPERTRAMP Some Things Never Change tabs

- Rick Davies / keyboards, lead vocals
- Mark Hart / guitars, keyboards, lead vocals (6,7,10)
- John Helliwell / saxophones, woodwinds
- Cliff Hugo / bass
- Bob Siebenberg / drums

With:
- Carl Verheyen / guitars
- Lee R. Thornburg / trumpet, trombone, backing vocals
- Tom Walsh / percussion, drums (9)
- Bob Danziger / kalimba
- Karen Lawrence / backing vocals
- Kim Nail / backing vocals

Artwork: Dimo Safari & Hugh Syme with Dennis Keeley (photo)

CD EMI ‎- 8 56183 2 (1997, Europe)

and to Quinino for the last updates

SUPERTRAMP MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SUPERTRAMP Some Things Never Change Music

Some Things Never ChangeSome Things Never Change
Oxygen Records 1997
Some Things Never ChangeSome Things Never Change
2005
Audio CD$24.37 (used)
Some Things Never Change by EMI InternationalSome Things Never Change by EMI International
EMI International
Some Things Never Change by EMI Europe Generic (1997-03-11)Some Things Never Change by EMI Europe Generic (1997-03-11)
EMI Europe Generic (1997-03-11)
Some Things Never Change by Oxygen RecordsSome Things Never Change by Oxygen Records
Oxygen Records
Some Things Never Change by Supertramp (1997-04-21)Some Things Never Change by Supertramp (1997-04-21)
EMI Europe Generic
0 result found for "SUPERTRAMP"
Visit LPCDressisues.com for more results

More places to buy SUPERTRAMP music online Buy SUPERTRAMP & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for SUPERTRAMP DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

SUPERTRAMP Some Things Never Change ratings distribution

SUPERTRAMP Some Things Never Change reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Some things need to change!

It is, I suppose, unfair to keep harping on about Roger Hodgson when this is Supertramp's third album without him, but when he left he took the essence of the band with him. I keep buying albums bearing the Supertramp name though, in the vain hope that they will come up with another "Crime of the century", or even "Breakfast in America".

Rick Davies jazz/blues influence on the band worked well when kept in check by Hodgson's more rock orientated work. When Davies took over completely though, the balance was lost, and Supertramp's work came to be much more dominated by those jazz influences. Personally, I find Davies voice to be one of those I can listen to in small doses, but his gruff drawl is hard going for a whole album.

The music here is well crafted and performed. Most are funky jazz rock pieces, but there are softer tracks such as the passable John Lennon impersonation on "Live to love you" which has similarities to "From now on". There's almost gospel ("Help me down that road"), and lounge ("Live to love you"). On "Sooner or later" I'm guessing that Mark Hart takes on vocals, it certainly is not Davies. His vocals make for a pleasant change, being lighter and more melodic.

For those who enjoyed Davies contributions to the early work of Supertramp, this album is well worth seeking out. For those who pine for the return of Hodgson, there will still be some appeal, but don't expect too much.

Review by Chris S
4 stars Rick Davies unashamedly enters jazz/blues in a big way. It has a taste of swing too. All I know is if I had to see these guys jamming in some NYC nightclub at 3AM in the morning it would probably be the icing on the cake for me. Look, Somethings Never Change has one or two weak songs but overall you are getting about one hour of classy, slick, tight music which shows a maturity way beyond say Breakfast in America. Mark Hart is a more than suitable replacement to Roger Hodgson. John Helliwell still does the master of cerimonies stuff but it is really interesting seeing Rick Davies live now. He is relaxed and this album shows it.Songs to highlight are many but check out ' It's a hard world'. 'Get Your Act Together',' Sooner or Later', this piece the ultimate Supertramp jazz jam session and ' Cest What?' A large proportion of the songs are lengthy and build to great climaxes. Sure this is definitely not progressive but it still has that stamp of uniqueness and for those music enthusiasts who enjoy the jazzier side of Supertramp will love this excellent album.

Review by Guillermo
3 stars I bought this album in July 1997, some months after it was released.It is a good album, with a very good recording and mixing, with very good arrangements, and it was done with all members of the band involved in the arrangements and with two songs co-composed and sung by Mark Hart. This is the last new studio album that I have bought from Supertramp. I still don`t have their latest studio album called "Slow Motion", because I read in their official website that "Slow Motion" was planned in all things by Rick Davies alone: he is the only composer of the band; he recorded demos which included all the arrangements for the songs. The rest of the members of the band only learned ,played and recorded the songs with Davies`arrangements, without contributing to the arrangements. Mark Hart co- produced the album, but he didn`t sing lead vocals or co-wrote songs. So, I`m not interested in solo albums released under some band`s name (like Jethro Tull, who is "Ian Anderson`s Enterprises", really). But this "Some things never change" album is still a "real" Supertramp`s album.It also has some good lyrics. My favourite songs from this album are: "You Win, I Lose", with an interesting "management" of the rhythm, some "Dixieland" arrangements and humorous lyrics; "Live to Love You", a good ballad with a very good clarinet solo; "Listen to me please", with lyrics which seem to me that are about promises made by managers to talented but naive musicians;"Sooner or later", a song sung and co- composed by Mark Hart, with very good arrangements; "And the Ligh" (with Tom Walsh on drums), an old song rehearsed and recorded in demo form while Roger Hodgson was still in the band, and it has good lyrics too about "reconciliation" with someone;"Give me a chance", another song sung and co-composed by Mark Hart; "Where there`s a will", which sounds to me like a Gospel song, with a very good piano, and it includes a choir too. I don`t know why Davies didn`t let Mark Hart to be more himself and not mainly the lead singer of Hodgson`s songs on tour. "Some things never change" was a good step towards having another composer and lead singer in the band. But Davies decided to control everything in the "Slow Motion" album. Maybe one day I`m going to buy "Slow Motion", but I still prefer this 1997 album.

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Their previous album "Free As A Bird" was their poorest in their career. This one is a bit better although that the rather monotonous mood of several tracks are not in favour of the most jazzy/funky 'Tramp album ever released.

The tracks I prefer here is the commercial "You Win, I Lose", "Listen To Me, Please". "Live To Love" and "And The Light" are a nice rock ballads with a catchy melody. While the former features good piano work but sounds a bit as a lobby bar tune, the latter has a nice sax break. I guess I like these songs because they remind me of the Hogdson era. Don't expect masterpieces though (these belong to the past, unfortunately).

Since funk is not at all my cup of tea, I cannot feel any sympathy for "Some Things Never Change" even if there's a good guitar break in here.

"Sooner Or Later" sounds almost as a Santana song : good percussions for this cha cha cha type song. Rather unexpected on a Supertramp album. Not too bad. Maybe a response to "What Does It Take" from Santana's album "Shango" which sounded as a ... 'Tramp one !

A little blusey one with "Help Me Down That Road". A little weaky.

The next two songs from this long album (over sixty-five minutes) keep on with the jazzy/funky and monotonous atmosphere but all in all is not too bad an effort.

The closing number is again a good song like Davies could write in their golden era. A quiet song to close this average album (very much "Crime" oriented but that's a reference, no) ?

Two stars.

3 stars "Supertramp returns ! EMI have finally invested the money it took to make the old times come alive again ! Supertramp, though without Roger Hodgson, still ( and even without Dougie Thomson, who mysteriously had been "lost" - as Rick Davies put it in the booklet to "Retrospectacle" later ), manage to ... (read more)

Report this review (#610388) | Posted by rupert | Sunday, January 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although I miss the balance between Roger Hodgeson and Rick Davies, I dig Rick's Jazz/Blues stylings, as well as the occasional funk drive on tunes such as "You Win, I Lose". It leans back a bit to Rick's contributions to "Breakfast In America". "Broken Hearted" seems to give a tip-of-the-hat ... (read more)

Report this review (#6870) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SUPERTRAMP "Some Things Never Change"