Between The Buried And Me - Alaska CD (album) cover

ALASKA

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

King of Loss
2 stars Between the Buried and Me is an extremely interesting band, a crazy combination of Pop, Death Metal, Grindcore, Noise,Experimental Rock, Jazz, Hardcore, Folk, etc. Yep, Between the Buried and Me basically have done everything. They remind me of a band called the Dillinger Escape Plan and since I was really impressed (for this genre at least) of DEP's Calculating Infinity, I decided to test my patience with this noisy album.

When I first heard it, my dad told me to turn it off as the singer serenaded a beautiful chorus using his rather "enchanting" death metal vocals, but then turned into jazz patterns, and then turned back into some Grind-Death. Some interesting? As interesting as it sounds, that is all the interest I can find with this album.

Alaska starts off with the extremely interesting opener and from this track, I was almost scared to hear what the rest of the cd sounded like. After listening to half-way through to this cd, I quickly found out how formative this band was. By creating a weird, experimental sound was all that they found interesting. I continued my endeavor with great purpose and somewhat small promise in my head.

After a listen of it, I can say the first two tracks are probably the only two tracks worth listening to, if you are interested in the band. But overall, I find this band a rather "bad" combination of Deicide, Thrice, Killswitch Engage, Django Reinhardt, THe Dillinger Escape Plan and Fantomas. The extreme experimentation does not save this cd for me.

Rating: 65%

(Only recommended for lovers of experimental music or extreme music in general)

King of Loss | 2/5 |