ALASKA

Buy BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME Music
Studio Album, released in 2005

1. All Bodies (6:14)
2. Alaska (4:02)
3. Croakies and Boatshoes (2:24)
4. Selkies: The Endless Obsession (7:25)
5. Breathe In, Breathe Out (0:55)
6. Roboturner (7:07)
7. Backwards Marathon (8:29)
8. Medicine Wheel (4:18)

- Paul Waggoner / guitar
- Dusty Waring / guitar
- Dan Briggs / bass
- Blake Richardson / drums

CD Victory Records (2005)

Thanks to Bryan for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME Alaska Music

More places to buy BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME music online Buy BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME Alaska ratings distribution

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME Alaska reviews

Review by AtLossForWords
4 stars Between the Buried and Me may be one of the most contreversial additions to the progressive metal genre. What is not contreversial is the variety of influences this band uses to create some of the most unique music in the genre. Their latest album Alaska succeeds in passing shades of John Petrucci, Mikke Akerfelt, and many others past a listener's ears.

Between the Buried and Me is difficult to categorize, because of the mass amount of influences they have and styles they cover. The most specific genre for this band is probably progressive melodic extreme melancholic bluesy death metalcore. They may recieve a bit of heat for the "scene" that they are wrongly placed in, but anyone who has a chance to listen to this particular album Alaska would have to be an elitist not to be slightly impressed.

Paul Waggoner and Dusty Warring, the guitarist put in the most impressive performance of the album. Waggoner delivers an impress array of techniques showcasing influences from John Petrucci, to Mikael Akerfelt, and maybe even Roine Stolt. In other words Waggoner delivers great shredding techniques combined with controled melodic playing and a bluesy touch. Dusty Warring on the other hand lays down more aggressive rythymn figures that contribute to the extreme side of this band. These too guitarists despite their differences manage to show great chemistry.

Dan Briggs is a rare commodity in the "scene" Between the Buried and Me seems to be a part of. Briggs unlike bassist in this "scene" contributes a necessary part for the band. Briggs is able to hold down polyrythymns, smooth out grooves, and even add melody. Briggs gives a versitile performance showcasing better than average technique.

Tommy Rogers is a polarizing vocalist. He has great versitility which is necessary for a band with so much variation. Rogers best skills is definately harsh screaming vocals with occaisional growls. At the same time, Rogers is able to pull off both serious and skillful progressive vocals along with ridiculous power metal vocals. The keyboards he contributes are hardly noticeable, but add a nice touch when the band plays softer parts.

Blake Richardson does an all but impressive performance. His extreme metal style just doesn't seem to impress. He seems to lack the versitility the rest of the band has. Occaisonal polyryhymns showcase most of the skill he has. He doesn't seem to be very creative with his set. His fills show some skills, but not enough to excite anyone.

The production is good. The guitars may be a little too agressive, but for a band with extreme influences that's excusable. The bass is very present in the mix, and that is always a good refreshing thing to hear. The drums are a bit too prominent for my taste, considering the drummer isn't nothing to write home about. The vocals are great though. The variety of tones is something that is more than welcome. It's great to see a variety of vocal techniques are equally matched with a variety of mixing techniques.

The album isn't essential to any collection, but is a welcome addition to more extreme styles of prog metal. The variation is something to keep this album a fresh listen. This is certainly the pinnacle of Between the Buried and Me's currently short career. What the band produces in the future has a high standard to meet with this release.

Send comments to AtLossForWords (BETA) | Report this review (#78751) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 19, 2006

Review by King of Loss
2 stars Between the Buried and Me is an extremely interesting band, a crazy combination of Pop, Death Metal, Grindcore, Noise,Experimental Rock, Jazz, Hardcore, Folk, etc. Yep, Between the Buried and Me basically have done everything. They remind me of a band called the Dillinger Escape Plan and since I was really impressed (for this genre at least) of DEP's Calculating Infinity, I decided to test my patience with this noisy album.

When I first heard it, my dad told me to turn it off as the singer serenaded a beautiful chorus using his rather "enchanting" death metal vocals, but then turned into jazz patterns, and then turned back into some Grind-Death. Some interesting? As interesting as it sounds, that is all the interest I can find with this album.

Alaska starts off with the extremely interesting opener and from this track, I was almost scared to hear what the rest of the cd sounded like. After listening to half-way through to this cd, I quickly found out how formative this band was. By creating a weird, experimental sound was all that they found interesting. I continued my endeavor with great purpose and somewhat small promise in my head.

After a listen of it, I can say the first two tracks are probably the only two tracks worth listening to, if you are interested in the band. But overall, I find this band a rather "bad" combination of Deicide, Thrice, Killswitch Engage, Django Reinhardt, THe Dillinger Escape Plan and Fantomas. The extreme experimentation does not save this cd for me.

Rating: 65%

(Only recommended for lovers of experimental music or extreme music in general)

Send comments to King of Loss (BETA) | Report this review (#81007) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 12, 2006

Review by Moatilliatta
4 stars Whoa! This album is crazy-awesome. Everything the band started to develop on The Silent Circus has been perfected, and now we're seeing their experimental side come out. The songs vary from brutal metal assaults to post-rock-ish ethereal breaks and even some jazzy elevator music to close the disc! And as complicated as the pieces may be, all of it is very expressive and emotional. It's worth nothing that Between the Buried and Me make much more use of the bass than most tech-y bands. Dan Briggs is a machine (a human machine, of course, or at least a machine with AI because if he weren't that would contradict my last sentence); he works the fretless bass quite nicely. As far as the other musicians go, vocalist Tommy Rogers has one of the most varietal voices in the business; he has a huge range both in his clean voice and his screams & growls. Lead guitarist Paul Waggoner has flying fingers and rhythm guitarist Dusty Waring maybe overlooked, but he is quite skilled himself, and drummer Blake Richardson is mind-boggling. This group has so much ground on their peers that it's almost not worth spending your time on anyone else.

All you need to hear to become a convert is "Selkies: The Endless Obsession." It covers many of the group's sounds and styles and beyond that it's completely ineffable. Stunning! The other highlights are the opener "All Bodies," the brilliant "Backwards Marathon" and that great closer "Laser Speed." The only weak spot is "Croakies and Boatshoes" because it's pretty much a standard tech-metalcore piece, but it does have some funny lyrics, and it's not bad by any stretch. Well, and "Roboturner" gets a bit irritating in spots, but that one bass line makes everything ok again.

This band is unbelievable, and somehow they find a way to outdo themselves with each new release. You'll forget how good their past albums are because of how good their newest one is, but make sure you put the older ones on every now and then because you're quickly reminded of how much you love them too.

Send comments to Moatilliatta (BETA) | Report this review (#150721) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 14, 2007

4 stars Between the Buried & Me - Alaska Well, this album may not be as "Proggy" as their newer stuff, but I still find this album great. This is probably one of my favorite albums by them and for any fan that likes this kind of prog, should give it a chance. Now, the highlights of the album are indeed t ... (read more)

Report this review (#625440) | Posted by DiamondsClarity | Friday, February 03, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Between the Buried and me shot out a really great one in 2005, defining their more progressive style with Alaska. The album is a great mix of death metal, metalcore, and whatever the hell the band feels like at any given time, including jazz, alternative, synthpop, latin, and ambient. Great cr ... (read more)

Report this review (#228679) | Posted by topofsm | Monday, July 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Oh dearie me....After Colors, I was expecting to hear the predessecor to be great. Ugh...This record is a sporadic headache. I can't even listen to the first few songs without exploding. From a death metal stand point, it's the best thing ever, but really I have trouble hearing the prog in so ... (read more)

Report this review (#180773) | Posted by Treasure | Monday, August 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars And just when I thought they sounded weird enough... This album is the one that solidified BtBaM as one of my favorite Progressive Metal bands. When I first bought this, and put it into the CD player, harshness and no-nonsense metal attitude put me off immediately. However, at the bequest of ... (read more)

Report this review (#141014) | Posted by Drakk | Saturday, September 29, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I heard this album from a friend who is really into the grindcore/deathmetal/experimental metal type of music. I was instantly impressed with the 6 string guitar sweeps and incredible shows of technical prowess. However, the rest of the music really gets in the way of the incredible skill of ... (read more)

Report this review (#125578) | Posted by weaverinhisweb | Tuesday, June 12, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars You may not consider yourself someone who likes "intense" (heavy) music. Between the Buried and Me's Alsaska is intense--I'd venture to say some of the most intense music I've ever heard. However, I think it's accessable for those who don't generally like ultra- intense music. Why? The song ... (read more)

Report this review (#120447) | Posted by jmcdaniel_ee | Tuesday, May 01, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is crazy... I didn't hesitate to buy it, nor will I hesitate to advise you to buy it. Well, yeah, it's a little bit hard for some ears because of the vocals, but the guitars and keys and drums and bass... oh my God, this album is set up so perfectly that one cannot get enough of it ... (read more)

Report this review (#80912) | Posted by | Sunday, June 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME "Alaska"